PDA

View Full Version : Frustration

Bill
04-01-08, 01:48
When I was in my teens, I’d come home from school one day and my older brother came in. He was in a desperate state and went straight for the whisky. I asked him what was wrong and I advised him to talk to our eldest brother because I knew he’d have the answer as it involved his line of work. My brother did so and all was resolved. My brother had got into such a state of worry that he couldn’t think straight. He was frustrated that he couldn’t find an answer.

My father was out of work for a period of time. With each job he failed to get, he became more disheartened and low. He got to the point where he felt so frustrated that he hit the wall with his fist. He was a gentle man but when he became frustrated, he had to release his feelings. As he grew older he mellowed and accepted things better. When I was getting worked up over a football match he’d remind me “It’s only a game, there are much more important things in life to worry about”.

When we become low and get frustrated, we begin to think everything is hopeless. We’re in a dark place and look at everything in a pessimistic negative way. We fail to see the bright side and so stop trying to find a solution that is often there. We give up.

Sometimes things feel so bad, we feel under a black cloud and can’t find a way to the sunlight. When I realised how low my father was, I offered to ask at work if there were any temping jobs going. Soon after he began working with me and from that point he then went on to other temping jobs before being offered a permanent position. He became very well respected because of his expertise and so they kept him on for as long as he wanted to work.

When I became ill, I became very frustrated and I couldn’t see a way out. It was only after talking to a psychologist who showed me my options that I was able to start my recovery. Sometimes when we feel so ill and panicky, we cannot find a solution. However, someone looking from the outside can often view things in a different light. Hope is never lost unless we throw it away by completely giving up but after the things I’ve been through I don’t believe in giving up on hope because I’ve found there is always a solution no matter how low and frustrated we feel. It may take some time but time heals as they say, providing we remain determined and never give up on hope.:winks:

Lindalou64
04-01-08, 01:53
AWSOME THREAD BILL, YOUR SO RIGHT IM A BIG BELIEVER IF YA DONT HAVE HOPE YA DONT HAVE NOTHING......WISH YOU WELL BILL......LINDA XX

Lilith1980
04-01-08, 09:21
I agree that it's hard to see a way out from under the black cloud. When I am low, EVERYTHING seems hopeless. There doesnt seem a point to anything and I wonder why I bother. In fact, I stop bothering because I am convinced I will fail.

Things I am trying to achieve in my life (like starting my own business) have been delayed because of this, which is a shame, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I will get there slowly but surely and I seem to have this switch in me that is triggered after I have been at a low point for a while which says "Right, time to get off your bum and carry on with what you're trying to achieve", and I get a renewed sense of motivation. This does come in cycles though and isn't constant.

I think that's why I find it important to "keep going". I dont like my job but I fear if I stop going in (some days I really dont want to face it), then I will never go back in and that's not what I want. As much as the job is dull and some of the people irritate me (!), its company for me and its a good distraction.

Never give up on YOURSELF, we're all worth more than that :)

sfee
04-01-08, 09:59
Thanks for your message, Bill. Frustrated is exactly how I'm feeling at the moment. I just hate feeling so low, tearful and anxious and often hit my head with the book I was trying to read or anything else (not too hard - I don't want to really hurt myself) near to hand. I know deep down it's only temporary but it's so horrible when you're actually experiencing it and it really feels like there's no way out.

Bill
05-01-08, 03:16
Analyse your fears. Find out what it is that's making you feel afraid. Once you've found it, you can then look at ways of tackling it and then you won't feel so low because you'll be finding a way out. There is Always a cause. It maybe a thought in your subconscious that's triggered your symptoms but it Will be there in your mind somewhere. It could simply be something going on in your life that's making you feel stressed but once the event passes, so will your anxiety but it could also be something more complex.

If you need help, please feel free to pm me. I may not know the answer but I'll do my best to help.:hugs: