PDA

View Full Version : Just a little introduction..glad to find this

SickofIt
27-02-05, 16:23
Hi all,
I am a 40 year old married woman who needs a place to talk about these issues. I don't really share too much with my husband, as he doesn't understand about panic/anxiety/depression (yes, I've had it all, and now I think OCD, also). I have been suffering on and off with pretty debilitating symptoms for about 20 years. There have been years of no symptoms and then there have been bad years. I've been to therapy, but I really don't want to try drugs to help. I am tired of letting this control me and am going to make an appointment with a therapist sometime this week.
Hi, all...

Rennie1989
27-02-05, 17:27
hiya welcome to the forum

tell us about what you suffer, well understand, we're mainly female so your ok, he he

im jade btw

Scooter Girl AKA Jade

lisarose
27-02-05, 17:44
Hi SickofIt

A big warm welcome to the forum:D

I am sure you will find it really helpful, everyone is so friendly and supportive and you I am sure you will get lots of help and support here.

I was always scared of taking medication but last August decided to give it a try and am glad I did as I have tried it before with no success. I am currently taking Venlafaxine(Effexor) 75 mg and it has allowed me to get my life back on track to a certain degree although some anxiety still remains, the panic attacks are nowhere near as bad and the depression has eased. I have tried therapy but did not have much success with it but that was years ago and would love to give it another go.

Hope all goes well with the therapist and remeber that you are not alone and there is always someone here ready to listen and offer advice.

Take care for now and hope to hear more from you soon.
Love Lisaxx

nomorepanic
27-02-05, 18:18
Hiya and welcome aboard the forum.

I hope we can be of some help to you here.

Have you had much chance to read the info on the website too - particularly the First Steps page?

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Nicola

Karen
27-02-05, 18:21
Hi SickofIt

Welcome to the forum. Sorry that you have been experiencing these problems for so long. I've had depression and social phobia for over 20 years too.

You'll get some good help and support here and I can understand your relief at finding somewhere to talk about these issues with people that understand.

Well done for the decision to see a therapist. I hope it goes well for you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

FAN
27-02-05, 18:41
hi welcome to the forum

fan x

lainey
27-02-05, 19:17
Hi there

A big welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of help and support here

Take care

Elaine x

seh1980
27-02-05, 19:43
Welcome to the site!! :D You will be able to talk freely here as we are all going through the same thing. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Tracy68
27-02-05, 21:26
Hiya
Welcome to the site. Sorry that you are going through a rough time at the moment but you will find loads of help and support on here from everyone which will hopefully help you through these bad times.
Take care
Tracy
x

Meg
27-02-05, 22:14
Hi,

Do tell us a bit more about how you are and why you think you're OCDing too now

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

bubbles
27-02-05, 23:34
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that you have suffered for so many years. I'm sure you will find lots of help & support on here. Good luck with the therapy when you go back to it.

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

SickofIt
28-02-05, 00:59
Well, Meg...
I hope this doesn't sound too weird, but I have OCD-type thoughts like having to have my bedroom door open a certain amount, having to feel in control of my surroundings by keeping the house clean all the time, and bigger things like worrying about things like being poisoned (:(), my kids and/or my husband dying, getting in a car accident, etc...
Not to mention the intrusive thoughts which seem to stem from D/P or D/R.

delta
28-02-05, 10:31
Hi SickofIt
Welcome to the site!
I hope you find it as useful as I have, I am finding names for things that I didn't even know had names and thought I was the only one suffering. I have been through the whole spectrum too, It started 15 years ago with panic attacks and at the moment I am battling depression and OCD/intrusive/negative thoughts which I can lose a whole day too, also I avoid social situations where I avoid people. I am not on medication, I haven't found my GP to be supportive and after 3 mins of trying to explain my feelings I was handed a prescription, this didn't feel right to me and I have kind of gone down the self-help route.
Anyway good to meet you.
Bye for now
Donna

clickaway
28-02-05, 11:07
Hi SickOfIt,

Sorry to hear that you've had such a rough time over all these years.

I've been suffering for about 10, and for many years struggled with the GP - I still do.

As well as from therapy, I find that the best help comes from this site, organisations such as No Panic and First Steps to Freedom, all voluntary organisations where you make contact with fellow sufferers and those that have made a recovery. They have time and understanding, elements that are so essential to our troubled minds.

I think its a very positive step that you are to see a therapist. He should be able to give you a professional understanding of what is going on with your mind and body - more reassurance, but from a 'qualified' angle.

I don't know if this is a NHS therapist or a private one, but you ought to consider, and seek advice (including asking here) what type of therapy you require.

CBT therapy is effective for most, but there is also analytical therapy too (that looks back over past issues of your life). I also visit an occupational therapist (NHS) too in order to help me undertake tasks (e.g. housework, mobility etc.)

Also, don't forget the chatroom here, that will give you more understanding which you obviously need
http://pub4.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/342349380

Between 8pm and midnight is the best time - you'll usually catch several people in there at any one time - very supportive.

Take Care,

Ray