PDA

View Full Version : Hi new to the forum.

jasongti
04-01-08, 19:53
Hello every one im new to the forum. firstly id just like to share my story with you see what you guys think.

I have what i think is panic disorder. It started around 5 years ago when i was eighteen i had never bin an anxious person perfectly healthy confident but then out the blue i had my first attack to it seemed like it was an electric shock as i was using a hair dryer at the time and afterwards thought nothing of it.

I then went about my normal business not giving it a second thought and a few nights later i had another attak the same feeling again but again i just shaked it off. but then they became more and more frequent and i was getting really really scared as it was happening just generally i could sleep at night just felt really vunerable and scared i even started sleeping with my parents at 18 that is really embaressing so these spontaneous attacks went on for about 3weeks and then stopped all of a sudden and i thought i was cured a few months passed and i was again just reading and bang out the blue i had one so another episode ensued and i was once again reduced to a wreck i just didnt know wat to do i was a tough lad and always stood and fought but how can i fight something i didnt know what it was or didnt have a face.

so i went the doctors he didnt help much and jus advised me to whether the storm so to speak, something i have been doing ever since. Im ok for say seven-eight months of the year then i may have an episode or even jus one attack.
In that time ive coped with A-Levels and a degree and a bunch of other stuff the episodes havnt been that bad in the last 2 years but this year iv had two episodes of panic attacks and have up to 5-6 a day even when im asleep it happens in my dreams. :huh:

I know it wont kill me but it doesnt stop it making you feel really horrible disorientated with life.

thanks for reading my story and please feel free to make any comments.

groovygranny
04-01-08, 20:25
Hello jasongt:welcome: to you!

First of all well done for coping thus far! It must have taken a lot of extra hard work and determination to get through study and exams.:yesyes:

The fear is the key here - fear of having another attack when you feel the 'signs' - whether gradually as a result of a 'trigger' or out of the blue.

A lot of us here take the action of not trying to fight it off but just letting it 'wash over' like a wave - and then ride it out. Not always as easy as it sounds!

Anyway, you'll get plenty of help and support here from people who understand first-hand what you're going through.

Might be worthwhile going back to your GP - or even another if he is still not too helpful.:shrug:

Pleased to meet you!

PS: I'm moving your post to the 'Introduce Youself' forum so others can respond and welcome you.

:)

trac67
04-01-08, 20:29
Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Nibbles
04-01-08, 21:47
Hi Jason and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. There is nothing to feel ashamed or embarrassed about because you have coped well with a lot, congratulations on graduating.

Take care,

Mike :)

nomorepanic
04-01-08, 22:10
Hi Jason

Just wanted to :welcome: you aboard

doglover
05-01-08, 00:56
Hi Jason,
well done for coping so long on your own. Your GP's advice doesn't seem to be appropriate and the fact youve come here looking for support suggests to me you go back and speak to another GP who will hopefully be a bit more understanding.
Welcome on board!
Donna x

kate
05-01-08, 08:38
Welcome, Jason :D

Kate

Lindalou64
06-01-08, 13:13
HELLO JASON AND WELCOME TO THE SITE I WISH YA WELL.......LINDA

Star
06-01-08, 13:32
Welcome Jason xxx

Southern_Belle
06-01-08, 16:13
Hi Jason,

Welcome to NMP. You will find many here feel the same way you do and you will get a lot of support.

Hugs,

Laura

jasongti
09-01-08, 11:42
thanks alot guys
its nice to know people are so understanding.
Iv been having a really bad episode these past two weeks.
I have been to my GP and he said he will refer me to a CBT therapy which I cant wait to try.
I hope every one is well and again thanks for the support.
xxx