PDA

View Full Version : Norovirus

SharonDerby
04-01-08, 23:55
I am in a state :( don't know how to control myself i'm terrified of this stomache bug thats going around, winter vomiting virus whatever it's called, i have had emitaphobia for years and have been coping well, this time of year is always bad for me because of this dam virus, but this year is particularly bad because it says it's spreading like wild fire and everyone is likely to catch it :( the very thought just makes me want to end it all, i cant cope at all right now i am desperate, i have scrubbed my hands untill they are bleeding and now don't want to eat food (another bad idea as i weigh so little because of this phobia anyway as i eat next to nothing)
If anyone can offer me any support or possitive words i'm all ears cos right now i got nothing and no one, in my head everyone has had/got this virus or knows someone who has it.

doglover
05-01-08, 00:26
Hi Sharon,
all i can say is I DONT KNOW ANYONE who has had this! The media do like to make a drama out of everything. Chances are you will not get it, hopefully all the media interest will calm down in a few days and in turn you will be able to too.
Take care
Donna:winks:

*Broken_Mind*
05-01-08, 00:40
I agree with doglover i do not know ANYONE whos had it or anyone who knows someone with it. I think the media are just looking for another story tbh.

Oceanblue
05-01-08, 01:09
Hi,

Well I really don't intend to worry you, I'm writing this in hope it will help. Both my bf and I have had this virus over xmas time, but please try not to panic too much over it, it really wasn't that bad at all. It's like any old virus, and it doesn't last for too long.

I have two small children, 8yr old and 5yr old and they never caught it at all, so not everyone around will necessarily catch it.

It's not worth the panic, the Media hype thing's up. xx

belle
05-01-08, 12:35
Hi..

I posted the same problem in the "panic" section of the forum. I am really worried about it. I have had emetophobia for years, but i "thought" i was doing okay with it, until something like this is hanging around. I had a tummy bug twice last year, but i didn't throw up. I felt really bad, gagging etc, but this is the honest truth, the WORST part of it was the day after and the aches, pains and fever that i had to cope with. Because of having a bad stomach, i didn't want to take painkillers, i couldn't lay comfy for love nor money.

I am not looking forward to my boy going back to school on Monday, however, IF he gets it, i will have to deal with it then.

DO NOT STOP EATING. If you don't eat you are not getting the vitimins you need to fight viruses. I eat loads of veg every single day - not eating is the worse thing you can do.

I am not putting myself into positions where i am surrounded by people, but i did get my haircut today, NOTHING, was going to stop that... :)

x

franfhm
05-01-08, 17:27
Sharon, I too am feeling very similar to you right now, so your not alone.

I don't want to go to work for fear of catching it, I almost had to leave yesterday as a woman ran in to the toilets to be sick when I was there and I panicked.

I have to go to a party later as I cannot let my friend down - but the thought of all those people in one place who I do not know is scaring me stupid.

Roll on the summer - this time of year is awful, your not alone Sharon *hugs*

SharonDerby
05-01-08, 22:57
Hi all, thanks for the words of comfort.
Fran i do hope you go on ok at the party hopefuly you will manage to enjoy it as best you can, it's hard when your worried but then don't want to let people down.
I'm feeling no better at all, i can not get these thoughts out of my head, daughters come home from work and said her friend is ill, she has a cold....... i don't belive that i am certain it's this dam virus and i'm next aghhh.
On the bright side i have put the news on and they never mentioned IT so hopefuly its passing, oh please god let that be so :(
Sharon xxx

Dying_Swan
06-01-08, 00:05
Hello :)

Well it seems there is no denying it - Norovirus is doing the rounds this year.

Washing your hands is really important IF you are likely to be in contact with someone who has it. Please.....there is no need to wash your hands until they bleed :ohmy: Just keep them 'socially clean'

If you do catch it, it really isn't the end of the world. I had food poisoning recently....I'm not going to lie - it was horrid. I spent all night 'eliminating' from both ends :blush: and felt terrible. But, it was a few hours and then it was gone. I don't want Norovirus either, but it's just one of those things. Fortunately they tend to be over quickly.

Just follow the advice they're giving on the news - clean hands (NOT bleeding!), don't share towels etc etc

I'm sure you'll be right fine :)

xxx :flowers:

LucyA
06-01-08, 10:41
Hi,
I'm glad there are others who are worried about this! I have woken up feeling not quite ontop of the world today and I'm supposed to be going to Tesco with my friend. I need to buy food but supermarkets are a struggle at the best of times, let alone when I'm feeling ill. I'm determined not to give up every time I get scared though so I'm going to go. Sharon and anyone else who is worried, not everyone will get this bug- especially not those who are careful, wash their hands after touching things a lot of the public may have touched (hand rails, telephones, cash machines etc) and eat well so their immune systems are strong. I take a bottle of the hand sanitiser with me when I go out so that I don't have to wash my hands all the time.
xx

Nervy_of_catford
06-01-08, 19:30
Hi there folks,

Came to this board because I'm currently finding things difficult because of my emetophobia and current norovirus, and what do I see? Other people in the same boat! This in itself is a relief.

My rational mind says:

I am washing my hands a sensible amount
I haven't been around anyone that has vomited near me (so no catching it throgh aerosolisation of the virus)
I am avoiding touching my face
I don't have kids, or work so I can minimise my contact with the outside world
No one I know has had it

My irrational mind says

AAAAAAGH PANICPANIC!

So as with the OP, I am having trouble eating, am living on Extra Strong Mints and peppermint tea. My anxiety levels are constantly medium-high, and I am obsessing and being irrational (thoughts like "telling other people my fears might tempt fate and I might catch it" Which is daft, as I don't even believe in fate!)

So yes. Just want to say to all out there that you're not alone!

Best wishes all

Rob

louisemanchester
06-01-08, 19:50
Hi Guys

I am new to this site and boy am I glad, I have read the above. I have such a fear of being sick and getting this bug!

Anyone that has had it how bad was it when you had this bug and was you actually sick, and, is it as bad as the media are making it out to be?

Thanks

belle
06-01-08, 20:15
Hi...
I had it twice last year within 3 months of each other. I was not sick, however i had really bad stomach ache, i gagged constantly, every 20 minutes for about 9 hours and i had the work dose of the runs i've ever known! Despite that, for me the worst bit was the day after and i had the "flu like" symptoms. Fever, aches, pains, headache...that was poop.

I am really anxious about getting this virus. My son goes back to school tomorrow and i am dreading it.

x

bluesparkle
06-01-08, 20:20
ok...
i dont usually reply to posts like this in case i say the wrong thing...
but in sept 2006 i went away with students from work for a holiday on the last day one of them caught this same virus... when we got back to the place i work we were put in isolation, the staff were allowed home obviously but we could only work in one building and with the students that had been away with us,
the point of this is i sat in a mini bus with the ill student looked after the others day in day out for a few days(only 3 actually caught it) and i never had it or the other two staff... so please please try not to worry i do know that is easy for me to say but the media does hype things up.
rach

knightbabe
06-01-08, 21:13
Unfortunately, my partner has it. I'm steering clear of him as much as possible. Plenty of disinfectant being used. I've banned him from leaving the house and told him he needs to stay home from work as advised. I could do without getting it myself.

SharonDerby
06-01-08, 22:05
I'm reading the rational thoughts of Nervy of catford and trying to stay calm.
I have not been nr anyone who has this, infact i don't want to be nr anyone at all.
One posative thing i did read today was that the East mids has managed to avoid having to close hospitals so it might have missed us out (prays).
I do work though and this is where i fear i will lose the plot tomorrow, i am dreading it, all the people i work with have kids, mine is 22 now (years old that is not 22 kids perish the thought lol) the kids go back to school tomorrow they pass things on people come to work for fear of being sacked, oh dear god i'm in a state :(
Thank you all, you really are keeping me sane right now
Sharon xxx

Zaph
07-01-08, 00:10
I'm in the East Midlands area too, Sharon, and I haven't heard of any cases of it around here. And believe me I've been keeping my ears open! Even the stupid text-in on the radio yesterday didn't produce any Norovirus sufferers when the DJ asked for them!

When I caught it two years ago there were two other people in the house who managed to avoid catching it off me - I basically confined myself to my bedroom (and bathroom lol) and told them not to come near me and that did the trick.

I was talking to a nurse yesterday about the virus and she said as long as everyone washes their hands then that's the way to beat it.

On the subject of not eating, I know that this can be a way of getting round emetophobia - I've wallowed in the reprieve of an empty stomach lots of times! But yeah it's kinda not good for the health. Like the person up there said, you need vitamins and minerals from food to help your immune system. A doctor recommended to me that I eat lots of small meals. Doing that I don't have the anxiety of my stomach feeling full at any one time and I know that with less food there it will go through my stomach quicker... should the situation start to look dire (as it did two years ago with me).

Louisemanchester... when I started to come down with the virus I had an empty stomach as I had eaten very little that day (like I said, it was a 'worst case scenario' for me so I took 'pre-emptive' measures so to speak). I figured with nothing in my stomach then I wouldn't vomit... but I was wrong. I then had the dry heaves. Which, in all honesty, I would take any day over full blown vomitting... they were short, hardly anything came up, and there wasn't as much taste to them. Plus I felt better afterwards. So after that initial crap-hitting-fan/welcome to your worst nightmare sonny jim, I'd say that after between 12 and 24 hours my body was settled enough for it to no longer be nightmare inducing. I felt generally crappy for a good couple of days but as long as I'm not throwing up, I really don't care what my body is doing.

cheekybabe2008
07-01-08, 01:28
im really really worried about all this norovirus thing too...i cant sleep because i worry i will wake up early hours and be ill,i cant eat big meals because i dnt want to throw it all back up again,iv been washing my hands at every oppurtunity.
the other day i wouldnt even go into my friends house because her husband and daughter had it,i actually stood outside the front door and talked to her...its making me so paranoid i hate feeling like this!!!
my boyfriend thinks im silly but tonight he has gone to the hospital to pick up his anhaler and im scared he will bring it home with him and give it to me...iv even been making him wash his hands every 10 minutes!!!looks like i`ll be spending the next god knows how long avoiding kissing him :-S x

Alisonj
07-01-08, 03:20
I had the same fear this time last year but I was pregnant at the time as well! Everyone in my family got it and I was terrifed I was going to get it so I thought that if I didnt eat then I wouldnt throw up. BIG MISTAKE!!
I ended up not getting the virus but sick because I hadnt ate.
Like others said, its a virus and will likely pass quickly if you do get it.
I truly hope you dont though! Here is to a healthy winter for all of us!

belle
07-01-08, 08:25
Oh for goodness sake. The SECOND i turned on GMTV this morning they were talking about children going back to school and the virus speading. I have told my son not to put things in his mouth that don't belong to him AND to wash his hands as much as he can.
I am pooping myself now.

x

Tom_M
07-01-08, 10:36
Me and my wife got it before Christmas. Though she had full Gastroenteritis, I only had enteritis, so you don't always vomit with it.

Nervy_of_catford
07-01-08, 10:36
Hi folks

I'm feeling much less anxious this morning - I had some burnt toast and marmite for tea (Sounds disgusting, but is actually quite tasty, and for me is a "safe" food, irrational as that is), was fine all night - no panic attacks (hurrah!), and ate breakfast this morning.

I did some positive visualisation last night - every time my mind drifted over to anxiety inducing thoughts, I very firmly redirected my thoughts to a good place (sitting on the cliffs in Cornwall, feeling the wind, and watching the sea and seagulls, smelling the grass etc). Can I recommend this method of calming down to other people?

Also haven't switched the telly on lest it brings me out in a cold sweat!

Also I have been out to walk the dog, and all seems well in sunny Catford.

So yes. I'm sending good thoughts to all emetophobes out there *grin* that our immune systems are strong, and all will be well.

Best wishes all

Rob

louisemanchester
07-01-08, 11:14
I am still really scared still of getting this.

Are people actually throwing up from this?

Is the vomiting as bad, as they make it out to be, as in can't control it and it very stronge?

Someone is of work with it today!

:-(

heths
07-01-08, 11:17
Hi,

I can relate to what you're all saying. I have emetophobia too and since hearing about the virus on the news, i've been more anxious and washing my hands more etc.

Friday I had to go to a doctors surgery and was scared i'd pick it up there. Then this morning the day centre I go to has opened again after the holidays, and I was anxious to go as there's more people there. I did go however, but whilst in the group i'm in, a girl was talking about her mum currently has this virus. The girl lives with her mum as far as I know, but she hasn't got the virus herself.

Does anyone know if I could still get it from the girl though as she lives with her mum?

I'm trying to do relaxing things as much as possible and my therapist has also advised me it's best to eat.

Heather x

cherrypie1987
07-01-08, 11:18
Hi There, I have been reading this post and I myself have emetophobia but I am so relieved that I am not the only one suffering over this virus.

Ever since the news started reporting on outbreaks of norovirus I have been going crazy. I have been through about 6 bottles of hand sanitizer, I have not eaten any food made by other people, and I even cut off my acrylic nails incase i picked up the virus. I know I am being irrational but I can't seem to control myself. I am naturally a worrier anyway and things like this really dont help with my phobia.

I know 3 people that have had diarrhoea and Sickness from November and not known of the reasons why. Firstly my boyfriend who just came over all nauseous and the was up all night ill. luckily I wasn't with him at this time and I refused to see him for about a week after through fear of him having a bug I would catch. Then a few weeks ago my sister just woke up in the night with diarrhoea and projectile vomiting, no warning, and I was so scared I didnt even go to the bathroom until someone has bleached it and my sister had stopped being ill. My parents both said that if it was a virus then we all would have had it.
Then not too long ago my colleagues fiance picked it up from a holiday park that got close down due to norovirus but my colleague didnt pick it up and neither did her 12year old twins.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I was just so glad that I wasnt the only one out there who had anxieties about this!!

Many thanks guys for putting my mind at ease.

Amy :)

louisemanchester
07-01-08, 11:25
projectile vomiting is this what you get with the noro virus or is that what the news is just saying

cherrypie1987
07-01-08, 11:37
I have looked at a lot of medical sites and its seems to be what you get with norovirus :wacko:

louisemanchester
07-01-08, 11:39
Oh no. I have felt funny all weekend like I was going to be sick, but, was not could that be the same thing?

cherrypie1987
07-01-08, 11:47
I don't know to be honest. don't think so. it would have happened by now if it was. you get it within 12-48 hours of being infected i believe. (sorry im not a walking medical book lol, just have searched a lot about it in the hope that i will be able to avoid it.) I think your just getting worried, cos I know that the more worried and anxious I get the sicker I feel.

bluesparkle
07-01-08, 11:47
i am sending my posative thoughts to you all...
i know thats not much help....
but i have been there believe me... i used to worry about it really badley and it was ruining my life...i DO understand, i just wish i could say something to help.
hang on in there this will pass...
rach
x

PUGLETMUM
07-01-08, 13:10
hi all,

i had this the day after boxing day - caught it from my in-laws who caught it in the nursing home where their parents live!

i cant really help you if you have a phobia of this but this is what happened to me - went to bed on boxing night feeling flushed and very tired- woke up at 6.30 with stomach ache, and had the runs until 10.15- started to be sick, with continued stomach ache and runs until 2.15, so thats 4 hours feeling pretty bad. then everything settled down, and i was very very tired and relieved. but i felt 'ill' for another day and a half, but just took paracetamol, drank water and lucozade and ate lightly. i even went shopping on the saturday night to get out.

it isnt nice, and for a few days i was worrying about getting something worse! this is how illness affects me, i start to think ill get pneumonia, and i was worried about how weak i felt and how achey my body was. so although i dont worry about being sick or having the runs, i do worry about health issues.

also i kept away from my husband and daughter for the day and i washed my hands everytime id been to the toilet and they didnt catch it, although they had been in contact with the people who had had it on christmas day and boxing day - so i think if you are going to get it you will, the only way not to get it is to isolate yourself.

belle
07-01-08, 14:26
A question i need answering:-

Can you catch this if the person is feeling ill but BEFORE they are actually being sick or having the runs?

mumof4
08-01-08, 17:21
i too sufer with emtophobia too not as bad as i used to be though on the news tonight in paisley saying its bad here i dont know anyone who has had it my partner works in a old peoples home and they had to close the hospital because of it but he didnt catch it, i keep telling myself not everyone catches bugs and to be honest i cant rember the last winter bug i caught.

but like most people who suffer with this ive tried not to eat thinking well i cant be sick if i havent eaten nothing also i do have safe foods and still do even though im not as bad as i used to be with it.

also u can be a carrier and not be ill urself but u can pass it on.

if it does come into my house and the kids get it then i will start to panic.

sorry for the big post but i do think the media do blow it out of prortion and they do it every year.

louisemanchester
09-01-08, 12:16
When I was at the bus stop this morning, there was a pile of sick there. Can I catch the bug that way? So worried now?

mumof4
09-01-08, 13:16
dont think u can think u have to touch someone who has had it or who has came in contact with the bug.

louisemanchester
09-01-08, 14:20
Ok thanks, what does everyone else think, if you have had to stand at a bus stop with sick there, that looks like its not been there that long can you cath this?

Nervy_of_catford
09-01-08, 21:13
Hi there Louise,

Although the virus can be spread via being passed into the air when someone vomits, I suspect in the open air any aerosolised particles will be whisked away by the air very quickly, and will be so very diluted in the air will be no threat to anybody.

I think it is only an actual risk if you are near the person vomiting, and are in an enclosed space.

Best wishes

Rob

samc100
09-01-08, 22:51
Hi Louise - I think it is in the spray of the vomit that makes it airborne. So a pile of vomit that you won't inhale or touch on the floor outside that has probably been for many hours is unlikely to pass it on to you.

But that vomit is more likely belongs to some drunken oaf.

I am the same - I don't mind being sick so much it's the unplanning of stuff. I have my son's birthday party soon and what if he/me or any of the guests can't make it????? Arghhhhhhh Panic

SharonDerby
09-01-08, 23:09
I am still frightened too, no idea how or when this is going to stop the relentlesness of it is driving me nuts, all i'm waiting for is for someone to say it has passed now :(, i'm not eating or sleeping properly which isn't helping at all.
Louise i would think your safe from catching it from a pile of Vomit in the street, it is in the spray you would have had to have been there right in close contact i would think to catch it that way.
Reading this forum is helping lots so thanks all, hope tomorrow is a better day for us all :)
Sharon x

neptuno
11-01-08, 17:38
Hi !
The virus is not a killer and is short-lived. Most people I've heard of just say they feel off colour. The virus has definitely peaked and hospitals are reporting back to normal. People are taking notice of basic hand washing procedures and careful food preparation on clean surfaces. This will reduce the odds of catching anything dramatically.
BUT
You need a healthy body to fight off any bug - and that means eating properly and having the right "fuel" for your body. Missing out on meals is NOT the way to go - OK ?

Be kind to yourself

belle
11-01-08, 18:00
ONE in EIGHT have now got this illness. That works out to be over 7,000,000 people. Scary!

SharonDerby
11-01-08, 23:39
Oh that's great, i am actualy gonna go mad with this.
I thought today that maybe it had peaked and things would die down but now i'm reading 1 in 8 people are getting it, aghhhhhh :(

maxskiboy
12-01-08, 11:56
hi,

i am absolutely terrified about getting this bug, people at my school are quickly dropping off. iv had nightmares about it. i just wish i could hide in a little hole with noone around me until it passes over.

can i reccomednd this hand cleannining foam called somthing like no germs or any other of that type. iv also started taking in my own plastic cutlery so i know that noone else had touched it.

bye

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

louisemanchester
20-01-08, 18:44
Norovirus epidemic exposed as myth

Nigel Hawkes

Norovirus infections this winter were no higher than in the previous two years, the Health Protection Agency said. The agency’s figures of confirmed cases up to the end of last year show a sharp fall. If there is no second peak, then the duration of the outbreak will have been shorter than in 2002, the worst year recorded. Steve Field, the chairman of the Royal College of General Practitioners, said that the scare over the virus may have helped to reduce its spread by encouraging good hygiene.

This is what I found, that may cheer you all up x

belle
20-01-08, 18:54
How do you catch this bug?
Can you catch it if you talking to someone who has got it and they breath in your direction?
I know hand washing is very important but i am kind of taking this to extremes. IE: Washing hands before starting dinner, washing hands after i get the packet of ham out of the fridge in case it was contaminated, washing hands before i get the bread out of the packet, washing it after i got it out...my hands are red raw, cracked and really sore :(

This is driving me insane.

jonnyjonny_uk
20-01-08, 20:18
Hiya Bluebell,

You can cannot catch it from someones breath, you ingest the virus by viral particles from feces or vomit entering through your mouth, or nose, or perhaps by touching your eyes. Its good you are taking the necessary precautions of hand washing using cleanser. Maybe you should get some kind of hand moisturiser to put on afterwards to stop them from cracking.

Here is some useful info about the virus if you want to know a little more.

Definitions

Norovirus: The latest term for all ?Norwalk-like viruses?, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC).

Stomach flu: Norovirus ? actually a misnomer, as these viruses are not influenza or ?flu?.

?Stomach viruses? (?sv?) or ?winter viruses?: Noroviruses

Gastroenteritis: Any illness involving vomiting and diarrhea ? these symptoms may be caused by Norovirus or by a bacteria. Hence, ?viral gastroenteritis? or ?bacterial gastroenteritis?. Bacterial gastroenteritis is not contagious.

Virology

Noroviruses (genus Norovirus, family Caliciviridae) are a group of related, single-stranded RNA, non-enveloped viruses that cause acute gastroenteritis in humans. Norovirus was recently approved as the official genus name for the group of viruses provisionally described as "Norwalk-like viruses" (NLV). Currently, human noroviruses belong to one of three norovirus genogroups (GI, GII, or GIV), each of which is further divided into >25 genetic clusters.[1]

How it works

1) You ingest the virus by viral particles from feces or vomit entering through your mouth, or nose, or perhaps by touching your eyes.

2) In your stomach, it doesn't do anything.

3) In your small intestine, the virus begins to multiply, which may take from 12-28 hours before you show symptoms. The lining of your intestine has appropriate attachments for the virus. It attaches itself and releases its genome (bio genes). Those genes shut down the cell and start taking control in order to make more viruses. So your cells are a factory for the virus replicating.

4) Your cells then "explode" or lyse. Then it keeps going to more cells, etc.

5) While this is happening your immune response recognizes that cells are dying and T-cells allow your body to mount an immune response against it. They go to B-cells and produce antibodies. The antibodies travel to the small intestine and inactivate the virus.

6) The vomiting is a secondary response. It's your body's way, evolutionarily, to respond to an infection. It doesn't actually do anything to help you. (This is probably why, if you can stop the vomit response with anti-emetic drugs or even from anxiety...then it doesn't make the course of the virus any worse. ) There is no need to ?get the virus out of there?, as it?s not in your stomach anyway ? it?s in your intestinal tract. The brain may allow you to "not vomit" if you convince it to. While this is a fine idea when infected with norovirus, it?s not if you?ve ingested a chemical poison.

Incubation Period

24-48 hours after ingestion of the virus. Symptoms have been known to appear as early as 12 hours.

When is it contagious?

Once the virus has been ingested and is incubating, it is possible to shed it through stool, without yet showing symptoms. This is one reason why the virus is so highly contagious ? people don?t know they have it, yet they spread it to others through poor hygiene (not washing their hands after defecating, and touching others or touching surfaces.)

People are also contagious for at least 24 hours after the symptoms disappear. There have been virus particles found in the stool samples of people who have been infected some time after this as well, however it is not known whether enough viral particles are secreted in order to infect someone else. (There are too many variables at this point: strength of the virus, number of particles, strength of others? immune systems)

The person who had the virus becomes immune to this year?s particular strain and secretes antibodies with the virus so it isn't contageous anymore to him, even though it is highly contagious to others.

Transmission

The only way to catch one of these viruses is through the fecal-oral route. This means you have to "swallow" the virus particles contained in feces or vomit of someone who has the virus. ?Swallow? means to ingest it into your gastro-intestinal system which can be through your mouth or nose, or potentially (but not likely) by rubbing your eyes. You cannot breathe it in. That is absolutely impossible. It is possible, however, for someone to vomit near or beside you, and the aerosol "spray" droplets come up and touch your eyes, nose or mouth. Then you can get infected.

Myths

It is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to get infected in any of the following ways:

1. Being ?near? someone who has it, including co-workers or friends

2. Being on a plane with people who have it

3. Breathing the same air as someone who has it

4. Being in the same building as someone who has it

5. Walking past a pool of vomit on the floor, road or sidewalk

6. Through having sexual relations with an infected person

7. Through a cut in your skin

8. Through your rectum or genitalia (as in, on a toilet)

9. Kissing someone who is not yet showing symptoms (note: it may be possible to catch it from someone who has recently vomited by kissing them, as viral particles may be in their mouth from vomitus. But the virus is NOT transmitted through saliva)

10. Number 6, above, applies similarly to sharing cups or utensils with someone as well.

NOTE: I would not recommend that you share drinks or utensils with someone if you know they?re sick. Besides, many other diseases can be transmitted this way ? and some are more serious than norovirus. However if you have done so, then find out later that they have subsequently developed symptoms of a norovirus, there is no need to fear.

Transmission from surfaces

The virus can be active outside a host (person) on surfaces such as counters, toilets, faucets, doorknobs and even clothing. It is unknown exactly how long the virus can live on such surfaces, as this depends on the number of viral particles, temperature, and the nature of the environment. However, you can't catch anything by just touching a doorknob. You would have to put your hand into your mouth or on your nose afterward. Therefore, hand-washing is imperative to prevention of transmission.

NOTE:

The main reason for all the Norovirus outbreaks is poor hygiene, i.e., people defecating and not washing hands afterward, then contaminating surfaces or foods.

Is is ?airborne??

Norovirus is NOT airborne. Some news reports and even family doctors mistakenly report that it is, probably because it?s possible for airborne vomitus droplets to infect others, and thus they get facts somewhat confused. In other words, if you?re standing near someone who vomits, the airborne ?spray? from the vomit splashing will contain millions of viral particles and may infect you. This is not the same thing as a technically ?airborne virus?. You CANNOT catch it from breathing the air of an infected person.

If your doctor or any other source tells you it is airborne in the sense that one can catch it by only breathing air, please ask them exactly what they mean, how they think the virus is transmitted, a technical/scientific source for their claims and the technical virology IN WRITING that is contrary to what the world-renowned Center for Disease Control has discovered. (Then have them post that technical information here, and I will gladly eat my hat and take up another profession.)

Frequency

CDC estimates that 23 million cases of acute gastroenteritis are due to norovirus infection, and it is now thought that at least 50% of all foodborne outbreaks of gastroenteritis (?food poisoning?) can be attributed to noroviruses.

Among the 232 outbreaks of norovirus illness reported to CDC from July 1997 to June 2000, 57% were foodborne, 16% were due to person-to-person spread, and 3% were waterborne; in 23% of outbreaks, the cause of transmission was not determined. In this study, common settings for outbreaks include restaurants and catered meals (36%), nursing homes (23%), schools (13%), and vacation settings or cruise ships (10%).

Most foodborne outbreaks of norovirus illness are likely to arise though direct contamination of food by a food handler immediately before its consumption. Outbreaks have frequently been associated with consumption of cold foods, including various salads, sandwiches, and bakery products. Liquid items (e.g., salad dressing or cake icing) that allow virus to mix evenly are often implicated as a cause of outbreaks. Food can also be contaminated at its source, and oysters from contaminated waters have been associated with widespread outbreaks of gastroenteritis. Other foods, including raspberries and salads, have been contaminated before widespread distribution and subsequently caused extensive outbreaks.[2]

Waterborne outbreaks of norovirus disease in community settings have often been caused by sewage contamination of wells and recreational water.

Note that upon careful examination of stats from the CDC, there is no significant rise in outbreaks of Norovirus over the years. When it?s a slow news week, the press loves to get a hold of this and fear-monger. The number of people infected in any given area poses no higher risk to any one individual than if only one person is infected. Proper hygiene (handwashing and not touching mouth or nose) will prevent infection regardless of how many others in your geographic area are sick.

Immunity

Once you?ve had this year?s strain of the virus, no matter how mild your symptoms, you will be immune. You are susceptible to next year?s strain, however. Research is currently being done which implicates that those with blood types other than O are more immune to noroviruses than those with O-type.

Food Poisoning

Over half of all "food poisoning" in restaurants is actually noroviruses transmitted through unhygenic cooks or food handlers. You can therefore catch a norovirus from someone who claims they ?only have food poisoning?.

Cleanup

The simplest, easiest and best way to kill norovirus on surfaces is with a chlorine bleach solution of 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 litre or quart of water. There are other chemicals that kill norovirus as well, but most are ridiculously expensive and not necessary. Bleach is not a cheap compromise ? it?s the best thing out there.

Temperature

Noroviruses die at 65 degrees Celsius or 150 degrees Fahrenheit. The virus may survive freezing.

Rotavirus

Rotavirus is different than Norovirus. To make a lot of technical facts quite simple, basically, you don't need to worry about rotaviruses. Why?

1) Adults will rarely if ever vomit from rotavirus infections. This is because all people have had rotavirus by the time they were 5 years old (even mildly, or when you were very young.) There is some form of immunity for adults and they will not be severely affected by these viruses, and

2) You can't prevent the spread of them anyway. No need to spray Lysol or wash your entire child's wardrobe or whatever because soap and antibacterial stuff like Lysol or Purell have no effect on the virus. It is spread the same way as noroviruses - (oral-fecal route), and may be present in some respiratory secretions (coughing on someone)?.so there is NO WAY you can keep children from getting it ? it?s just too contagious. Even if children wash their hands frequently, they commonly put their hands in their mouth, nose and eyes.

So if you hear about a rotovirus outbreak or your kid gets it, you can remain completely calm (well, about yourself. Your child can dehydrate quickly, so you may have to seek medical attention for him because he can die from dehydration.) But you won't vomit if you catch it, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

Vaccine

The virus's genetic profile changes often, meaning the proteins on its outside shell change constantly. Currently there are no vaccines for norovirus, although scientists are working on it. I believe a vaccine has recently been developed (February, 2006) for Rotavirus.

Proper Handwashing Technique

Handwashing is the best way to prevent spreading and catching a norovirus. Hands should be washed in the following way:

1) Use warm water (or even cold ? but not hot as you would have to have it so hot it would burn you to kill the virus)

2) Use MILD soap. Antibacterial soap has no effect, as norovirus is not a bacteria.

3) Wash hands for at least 20 seconds (you can sing the ABC song all the way through)

4) Rub palms, backs of hands, knuckles to palms, webbing of fingers, thumbs, wrists

5) Rinse well. You are washing the virus down the sink ? you are not ?killing? it.

6) Turn off taps with paper towel, and use paper towel to open doors, then throw out the paper towel.

7) Wash hands after using the rest room, and before eating ? about 5 to 10 times a day.

8) Do not rub too hard, use water too hot, harsh soaps or wash hands excessively ? this will make your hands raw, and make it harder to wash viral particles away anyway.

9) Alcohol-based gels, wipes or sprays do not kill norovirus (such as ?Purell?) Certain hand cleaners have recently been developed which do ? check their websites or email them to ask. However nothing is more effective than proper handwashing.

Treatment

Noroviruses are normally quite unpleasant, but not dangerous to otherwise healthy adults. Children are at some risk for dehydration. Consult your doctor for treatment if you are concerned. (Do not attempt to diagnose and/or treat any illness with information from the internet.)

Summary

If you never put your hands in your mouth, nose or eyes, you cannot contract a norovirus. Ensuring that your hands are properly washed before eating, or before putting them in your mouth, ensures that you will not catch it as well. There is no need to fear if you hear that someone at work, or a friend you?ve visited has come down with the virus. You can?t catch it by simply being near someone who has it.

No matter how much of an ?outbreak? of the virus is in your geographic area, you are at no greater risk of catching it than if only one person has it. Good hygiene will ensure you are safe.

Sorry its such a long post but maybe this information can help people not to panic too much and take the necessary precautions.

John

belle
20-01-08, 20:23
Thanks for that :)

jonnyjonny_uk
21-01-08, 00:25
Thanks for that :)

Your more than welcome and if you have any other questions please dont hesitate to ask :)

SharonDerby
21-01-08, 21:15
Hi Johnny
Thank you so much for that, maybe you just saved me from starvation.
I am not sure how i have coped these past few weeks it has been the most difficult time for me (and others on her i'm sure).
I have tried hard to stay calm but to no avail i have washed my hands so much they bled, i am concerned that i have put hand to mouth and not realised so i am constantly checking 12 hourly how i feel (of course i feel sick) so reading your post has helped me lots i am truely grateful for that.
I was hoping the whole thing would be gone now but a lady at work came in today and said she has had it, thats thrown me back a month and started me off again, she was in the lift next to me so i am convinced that i have it now,
but after reaing your post i do feel i over react and hope i can start to think more logicly.
I know i wont settle for a few days because she was close to me in the lift and then once she got out i lent on the wall of the lift she had, so now i'm scared that the virus got on my clothes from leaning on the wall of the lift then i touched my back etc etc on and on.
I'm going to keep reading your post till i know it word for word and use it when i'm feeling bed.
Once again thank you for taking the time to post it.
Sharon :)

louisemanchester
21-01-08, 21:25
thats great news thank you so much, although i HAD SOME KIND OF BUG YESTERDAY HAD THE RUNS BAD BUT NO SICKNESS , COULD THIS BE THE BUG?

jonnyjonny_uk
21-01-08, 22:14
Hi Sharon, im just really glad it could be of some help to you. I know it only natural to worry about these things and especially when you was in the lift but please remember that you have to ingest the virus through mouth, nose or eyes so if you keep cleansing your hands and avoid touching your face with your hands you will be safe. Easier said than done I know but doing this will not only lessen your chances but also help you relax a little which is very important.

It is still going around but not as rife as it was so lets hope it comes to an end soon.

Hi Louise,

With this bug you dont always have sickness but having said that it doesnt mean you have got it of course. The virus usually lasts for 24-48 hours. I hope you feel better soon.

John

SharonDerby
22-01-08, 23:11
Another bad day for me :(
i'm so never going to get over this, when is this bug gonna go???????
Hopefuly soon

jonnyjonny_uk
23-01-08, 00:49
What happened today Sharon?

I know its difficult but keep reading through the notes I sent and this should calm you down a little.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

SharonDerby
23-01-08, 10:17
:weep: Nothing specific happened really just read something in a magazine started the whole thought process off again.
I did go back and read the notes and they did calm me slightly but the thoughts are still there, luckily i was off work yesterday but i am at work all day today NOW thats a whole diff problem.
Sharon

mumof4
23-01-08, 16:41
im really not dong to good the now my little boy has the runs he hasnt been sick he is still running about drinking juice and that but im really scared he has a viruis im sitting here scared even to touch him he is only 3 years old.

i want to run away i made him toast but he hasnt ate it.

the only thing is ive changed his nappies can i catch it that way i have washed my hands.

i hope he dosnt have the bug what does it sound like to yous.

belle
23-01-08, 17:04
I don't think he would be running around if he had "the bug".

mumof4
23-01-08, 17:08
thats true im properly just worrying over nothing just cant help it tks

jonnyjonny_uk
23-01-08, 20:04
As Bluebell says I really dont think he has the virus but just make sure you clean your hands thoroughly after changing his nappy.

mumof4
24-01-08, 13:48
i did tks and he was fine must have been something he ate he has had no more runs and away to nusrsery and eating fine.

tks

louisemanchester
08-02-08, 08:42
I am wprried now, as my brother woke up this morning said he is feeling sick! (he is 15)

I went in the loo after him using it has he had darrira, can I catch it this way?

jonnyjonny_uk
08-02-08, 13:01
I am wprried now, as my brother woke up this morning said he is feeling sick! (he is 15)

I went in the loo after him using it has he had darrira, can I catch it this way?

Hi Louise,

You can catch it if you ingest the virus by viral particles from feces or vomit entering through your mouth, or nose, or perhaps by touching your eyes but I really doubt visiting the toilet after your brother you will of come into contact with anything as long as you both washed your hands. Just remember not to touch your eyes or mouth all the time around him and always keep them clean and then you should be ok.

louisemanchester
08-02-08, 14:07
What about if he was sick in front of you?

belle
08-02-08, 15:45
I believe you can catch it that way.

jonnyjonny_uk
08-02-08, 16:48
Louise just to put you at ease just a little you cant just catch it from someone being sick in front of you but of course if you ingest any viral particles you can. So to sum up, you might not of ingested any viral particles and even if you did it doesnt automatically mean you will catch the virus.

I hope that helps you.

natzybabez
08-02-08, 23:13
hey i no how you are feeling, i came down wit it before xmas and now im scared of getting something again, but we cant let it drag us down,
i got hympnsis last month and it has helped me alot. But ur not on ur own i no just what ur going through hun. xxxx

Zaph
25-04-08, 01:09
You know what annoys me?

When people know that they have the virus or a stomach bug and yet they don't stay at home!!!

I was with a group of friends this evening and one of them still came out even though he knew he had picked up the bug that was going around his work. I told him to go home but he said he would be all right... not longer than an hour later he dashed off to the toilet to throw up. One of us then took him home at that point.

But for the rest of the evening I've been ultra paranoid about everything I've touched... avoiding where he sat, trying to avoid the things he touched... when he was giving me some money for something I told him not to give it to me but he insisted on giving it to me. It's difficult in those situations. People just don't get this emetophobia thing and it's so hard to describe the fear to them. I suppose it doesn't help that I haven't explained to the vast majority of my friends that I'm an emetophobe, but then I guess it's because I like to appear normal to them even if I'm not :D
But I can imagine how daft that conversation is going to sound: "please don't pass that money to me because if you do I'll be paranoid about potentially handling something that has your germs and that will send me into a panic". It's never a line that people are going to take seriously in a pub.

Anyway I don't know how much sleep I'll get tonight now. This is going to be me all uptight for at least the next 24 hours. Swell.

franfhm
30-04-08, 21:18
Hope you were ok Zaph - had a similar experience myself today with a work colleague. He wasn't sick in work but I am very paranoid now

Zaph
06-05-08, 19:51
Thank you. Yeah I managed to escape getting anything. How about you?

In terms of the actual phobia though it got much worse a few days after this incident. I was in bed one night when I could hear my brother in the bathroom being ill... and he was pretty darn bad. Having an ill person in the house made me mega paranoid for about 3 days but again I escaped getting anything.

All I can say is just be very conscious about what you're touching - don't ever touch your face, use paper towels to turn off taps, 'quarantine' ill people if you can, and keep thinking positively. Do those things and you'll go a long way at beating this.

It seems there's vomitting people everywhere I go at the moment though - even today I was near an ill person (not for very long though I hasten to add!). I'm getting to the point that I'm 'tired' of being worried and I know that worrying doesn't do the body any good. Heck, when my brother was ill last week I nearly threw up through worrying alone, so it seems this phobia can be self defeating.

franfhm
07-05-08, 22:21
I know what you mean about the constant worrying thing, I'm like that at the moment. Its like I feel I can worry no more cos I'm fed up with it.

But put me in a room with someone who is ill or has been ill over the last few days I go to pieces

Jessicaduck23
15-10-10, 09:45
I'm so scared.

My boss has been off with the norovirus, which 4 other members of her family have had too.
We share an office, and she was in monday and tuesday, even though she wasn't feeling well, and then she was off wednesday and thursday with it, and now she's back.

I'm so scared of catching it I just want to cry.

I feel like I don't even want to take deep breaths, I know that won't help but, you know.

Please help. :weep: