PDA

View Full Version : cipralex update 3 and half months on

absb41
05-01-08, 15:18
I cant believe I've only been on the drug this long and the change around has been slow but certainly worth all the initial side effects.

I have a little conern though, the last four days I've been having just a a few thoughts/feelings that I had before taking the tablets. I had a fantastic christmas despite doing a meal for nine people and have generally feeling pretty good. I've been back at work for three days which I love. I'm just conerned at how I've been feeling and am afraid I might get ill again:weep: .

I have some diazepam to use when needed and so far I've only had one a week for the last two weeks. I'm also aware of changes coming up, new job, extension to the house and we will try for a baby if I'm ok in a few months.

I'm just curious to know whether set backs like this are usual, I'm aware I've got a fair deal to manage also. I've made an appointment with my GP for a couple of weeks to see how things are going. Would the meds stilll be adjusting after these 3 and half months?

Any advice/ info would be greatly appreciated - thanks fort reading X:yesyes:

cardmaker
05-01-08, 18:36
Hi absb41.

I've been on Cipralex for 8 months now. Started on 10mg and increased to 20mg about a month later. My recovery has been very slow and now I feel stuck at a certain level. Neither really down (thankfully) but not completely better either. Some of this may been down to the fact that I've taken out a grievance against my employers and they're dragging their heels in responding. Finally after 4 months I now have a date for the hearing. I'm hoping that once this over I will be able to move on.

I don't think the meds would take this long to kick in - I was told 6 weeks. But perhaps you need a higher dose. Chat with the GP when you go and see what they suggest. I'll be interested to hear how you're getting on as this section doesn't seem to get used much!

Hugs

absb41
06-01-08, 17:05
Thanks for the reply!

The meds had kicked in well before christmas and I began to feel fine but as I say the last five days have'nt been as good. Maybe it is the general come down after xmas as well as the other things I mentioned above. Just dont want to get as ill as I did before being on these meds. I'm on 20 mg which I think is the highest therapeutic dose for these and increased like you to this dose after a month on 10mg.

That must be pretty stressful for you managing the grievance against your employer - do you still work for them?

X

cardmaker
06-01-08, 21:25
Hi - pleased to see you still posting. I was feeling a little lonely as no one else seems to be on Cipralex!

I felt better after about 3 - 4 months, well enough to go back to work. They were so horrible to me that after 3 weeks I was off ill again and still am off now.

I am still employed by them. It's a local council and get this.... I'm a Human Resources Assistant and it's the Supervisors and Managers of the Human Resources department who've made me ill!!!

Really dreading this week - I have 3 appointments at my place of work. Monday with my union rep to prepare for hearing, Wednesday with the Occupational Health Nurse to check I am really ill and then Thursday for the Grievance Hearing.

Not sleeping too well and I think things will get worse by Thursday - still I'm sure I'll survive even though I may be ill for a few days afterwards.

Perhaps you overdid things at Christmas, or might just be winter 'blues'. Keep an eye on how you feel so that you can discuss things with the Doc.

Take care absb41 - try and get some 'me' time.

See Ya!!

Phill2
07-01-08, 02:48
I've been on Cipralex for about 3 yrs now.
Started on 5mg then went up to 10 where I've stayed.
They took prolly a month to start to work but they've been a real lifesaver.
Like any "normal" person I still have the odd off day but that's what the Diazepam are for.
I thinl it's prolly just the comedown as you said.
Phill :shades:

absb41
07-01-08, 19:11
Ahhh Thanks for these replies.

Card maker- good luck with your appt. some people have a poor understanding of mental illness ans as i always think no one can understand unless they've been through it which is why these sites are so useful!!

Phil - thanks for your reply its great to hear from someone who has been on the tablets for a while X

I decided to get an appt with my gp tomorrow just as I dont want things escalating which I know they can do quickly.

I work in an acute inpatient mental health ward which can be good to see how amazing people are who manage with more debilitating illness and some I admire because of how they dont let it stop them doing anything!!!:flowers:

cardmaker
07-01-08, 19:37
Hi Phill2.

Good to hear from another Cipralex user.

Absb41 hope the appointment with the Doc goes well tomorrow. :hugs:

joannap
07-01-08, 20:57
hi absb41

i am on citalopram 20mg which is like the older version of cipralex and i still get my original symptoms at times but not as bad. my gp has warned me about expecting the meds to make me feel really good all the time - that i have to put in the work too - positive thoughts/acceptance etc. i don;t think the answer is to up the dosage - i was tempted to up mine but then what do you do if you feel a bit down on the higher dose?!

i think we forget that everyone has times where they do not feel great about life. another thing my doctor warned me about was to take lots of new things on again when i felt better - new job/house extension and plans to have a baby does sound rather a lot lol! enough to stress even a non anxious person out so i would be tempted to take things v slowly and choose one over the other! x

piggly
07-01-08, 22:23
Hi
I've been taking Cipralex for almost 4 weeks and have had a few really good days when I've felt back to normal again but have been feeling really anxious since just before the weekend. Do you think the medication is still kicking in and I haven't felt the full affect yet?

getting out of bed in the morning is really hard as the anxiety has come back recently. It's hard to focus when the anxiety is bad and even when I set myself a task and do it, like washing the car which I did yesterday, I think so what?

I was on Citalopram last year but a month or so ago felt it wasn't working and switched to Cipralex.

Can anyone offer any advice or had any similar experience?

Thanks
Piggly

piggly
07-01-08, 22:25
forgot to say that I have missed a tablet now and again. Not deliberately, just forgot until the evening and then thought I might as weel wait until the morning.

absb41
07-01-08, 22:40
good to hear from you joannap - i guess in my heart of hearts I know its situational rather than likely related to dose meds. It just waves of anxiety and feeling tearful that remind me of how unwell I was.

Piggly - if I'm honest the first two months were not good on cipralex every side effect I had and the increase in anxiety was unbearable at times, but with support from people on here and sheer perseverance I stayed on the meds including numerous phonecalls and trips to GP for reassurance. Like you are feeling, every task was difficult but do keep going. I'm an occupational therapist and know the importance of maintaining habits and activities of daily living!!! maybe make a schedule of what you plan to do each day hour to hour and include resting/relaxation. live in the moment.

That dreaded feeling of having to get up and manage the day. I used to count down the hours till going to bed hoping that I might feel better the next day.

I can empathise with you.

joannap
09-01-08, 13:26
hi piggly

i think its pretty normal like me an absb41 are going through to have off days. firstly we feel terrible all the time - then we have days of feeling better mixed with not so good days - its like two steps forward, one step back.

i know this may be a hard thing to accept for some people but the meds are not magic pills or a cure - they are only to help us to feel improved enough to figure out why we feel anxious in the first place. it has taken me 10 years to realise its my negative thinking and now i am doing something about it! it could also be caused by lifestyle/problems in your life that are not being addressed etc.

put it this way - i bet you are now filling your head with thoughts such as "oh my god, i'm going back to square 1, do i need to increase my dosage, am i ever going to feel better etc" - This is the type of thinking that only serves to release more adrenalin to keep you in the anxiety cycle. like me - you will probably find that you have these sorts of thoughts about life in general all the time and i believe that negative thinking is at the root cause of all anxiety conditions.

absb41
10-01-08, 19:58
Hello all just an update - spoke with dr. who advised used diazepam sparingly to get me over the blip and so far ok

Piggly if you can keep us updated as I know I benefited from hearing from those who had been on the tabsa little longerX

joannap it certainly feels like that at times two steps forward, one step back!

Hope you are ok X