PDA

View Full Version : New here- hi all

Elf
28-02-05, 11:48
Hi all

I am 35 and have been having as yet undiagnosed problems since December. Any advice would be useful and I thank you for it in advance.

I got a heavy feeling in my lower legs just before a vice like chest pain and difficulty breathing and limb weakness. This occurred again and then the attacks moderated to extreme chest tightness rather than the extreme pain. Sometimes they were preceeded by an electric shock feeling in the legs othertimes just the brathing and tightness. I recently started to get a temperature drop with attacks (down to 35C). Initially I was fine between attacks and then the chest tightness started to become constant and now for the last few days I have had palpitations constantly and a horrible sicky weird chest feeling. Other miscellaneous symptoms have been testicle pain, stomach aches, dizziness, vertigo, concentration issues, headaches- they can be very short or last longer.

I have had numerous ecgs just after attacks which have all been OK according to doc (even a slightly elevated st level was deemd ok for some reason), a stress echocardiogram in December was OK, I have vasovagal problem (minor) according to tilt table, a partial ct scan showed zero calcium score and no evidence of any torso organ problems from what I was told- the heart wasnt completed as the dye was too uncomfortable for me to remain still hence the echo test. My initial diagnosis was bronchal spasms for the first two, after the third when my chest was clear they weren't sure. An endoscopy showed no inflammation of oesophagus, stomach or duodenum/ no h pylori- just a small diverticulum in the pharynx that they weren't too bothered about. A barium swallow showed a small intermittent hiatus hernia when laying down but the radiologist said the reflux was minor.

The hospital for tropical diseases is investigating (I was in Laso at the time) but I am starting to feel that it may be anxiety. The initial attacks may have been otherwise but I got so worried and scared by what was happening that I may have started to panic when the attacks came on, or they may have always been panic. I was having a good time at the start of these -just a virus and temperature a few days before that lasted one night (the doc at the tropical centre says it is unlikely it was related)

The worrying thing is the change in symptoms. The sicky chest feeling (cant describe well sorry) and the recent palpitations (4 days) are near constant but not a racing heart at all or missed beats (generally) just an awareness of the thumping that is very stressful. Also sometimes I can hear the whooshing pumping in my ears when laying down. My heart rate doesnt go up- in fact on a monitor I was bradycardic from the evening to the following morning so my heart rate is usually low (it wasnt deemed a problem). Why is a low heart rate (usually 72 or less) showing this pounding and why has it just come on. I also have a near constant tummy ache and feel weak and not with it ( I'm not sleeping well and cant do my relaxation tapes as the heart pounding is noticeably greater with headphones on- it feels like the beats are twitching the headphones.

Any advice anyone can give would be really useful as I can feel my life slipping away from me and I want to get this sorted asap. I dont particularly want to take medication due to the side effects and issues with them so have started on 100mg 5HTP and general multi plus b complex etc plus a herbalist I know has given me some mixture to help sleep.

Take care all and look forward to meeting you all

Elf

lisarose
28-02-05, 12:40
Hi Elf

A big welcome to the forum:D

I am sorry you have been feeling so rough lately. Anxiety can manifest itself as so many different symptoms and you seem to have had a lot of thorough tests to rule out other things. You will get alot of help and support here and everyone is very friendly. I have suffered with anxiety/panic attacks and depression for the last 5 years since the birth of my 2nd child and over the years have had so many different symptoms that I convinced myself I had some terrrible illness. I used to look through medical books and could match my symptoms to every illness there was in there. If you read previous posts on here you will see that health anxiety is very common and you are definately not on your own with this. It took me along time to accept that my symptoms were all anxiety related and once I had that was the first step to recovery. I am currently on medication (Effexor) since August last year and started to feel so much better although they aren't a miracle cure and still have some symptoms I now feel 95% better. I did not want to take medication and avoided doing so as I had not had much success in the past and was scared of the side effects but I couldn't see any other way and thought that I could not feel any worse than I already did and now I am really glad I took it but oviously it isn't for everyone.

I think you are doing the right thing by trying natural remedies and I hope you will soon start to feel better.

Take care
Love Lisaxx

vernon
28-02-05, 14:15
hi welcome to the site hope u get the help u want here. everyone is so helpfull. Vernon

KW
28-02-05, 14:57
Hi Elf

You'll find lots of great support and advice here..welcome to the site.

KW

'Everyone believes very easily whatever they fear or desire'
- JEAN DE LA FONTAINE

sal
28-02-05, 15:48
Hi Elf

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have been having a hard time, but finding this site will offer you lots of hope, support and people who understand totally how you feel. By reading so many of the stories and post you will also realise that you are not alone and there are lots of people on here who will support you through it.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

FAN
28-02-05, 16:09
hi welcome to the forum

fan x

Meg
28-02-05, 17:08
Hi Elf,

Welcome
I'll write between the lines to keep me on track

I got a heavy feeling in my lower legs just before a vice like chest pain and difficulty breathing and limb weakness. Are you sure this wasn't dehydration/exhuastion coupled with heat and a virus that then led to panic .
This occurred again and then the attacks moderated to extreme chest tightness rather than the extreme pain. Sometimes they were preceeded by an electric shock feeling in the legs othertimes just the brathing and tightness. I recently started to get a temperature drop with attacks (down to 35C). This is quite normal - some go hot and some of us go cold
Initially I was fine between attacks and then the chest tightness started to become constant and now for the last few days I have had palpitations constantly and a horrible sicky weird chest feeling. This progression does sound like it could be fear of the fear pushing in Other miscellaneous symptoms have been testicle pain, stomach aches, dizziness, vertigo, concentration issues, headaches- they can be very short or last longer. Can't speak for the testicle pain but the rest can be attributed to anxiety if other conditions hae been eliminated
I have had numerous ecgs just after attacks which have all been OK according to doc (even a slightly elevated st level was deemd ok for some reason), a stress echocardiogram in December was OK, I have vasovagal problem (minor) according to tilt table, a partial ct scan showed zero calcium score and no evidence of any torso organ problems from what I was told- the heart wasnt completed as the dye was too uncomfortable for me to remain still hence the echo test. My initial diagnosis was bronchal spasms for the first two, after the third when my chest was clear they weren't sure. An endoscopy showed no inflammation of oesophagus, stomach or duodenum/ no h pylori- just a small diverticulum in the pharynx that they weren't too bothered about. A barium swallow showed a small intermittent hiatus hernia when laying down but the radiologist said the reflux was minor. You've certainly been well investigated.
The hospital for tropical diseases is investigating (I was in Laso at the time) but I am starting to feel that it may be anxiety. The initial attacks may have been otherwise but I got so worried and scared by what was happening that I may have started to panic when the attacks came on, ( this is extremely likely) or they may have always been panic. I was having a good time at the start of these -just a virus and temperature a few days before that lasted one night (the doc at the tropical centre says it is unlikely it was related) Are you still getting sweats or any bowel changes ?
The worrying thing is the change in symptoms. The sicky chest feeling (cant describe well sorry) and the recent palpitations (4 days) are near constant but not a racing heart at all or missed beats (generally) just an awareness of the thumping that is very stressful. Thats often a precursor to racing heart so good it hasn't progressed Also sometimes I can hear the whooshing pumping in my ears when laying down. Very usual for us all My heart rate doesnt go up- in fact on a monitor I was bradycardic from the evening to the following morning so my heart rate is usually low (it wasnt deemed a problem) less whilst asleep or resting 48 and over is fine for healthy adult. Why is a low heart rate (usually 72 or less) showing this pounding and why has it just come on. I also have a near constant tummy ache possible anxiety induced gas, try fizzy drinks for a good burpand feel weak common and not with it DP/DR see symptoms page ( I'm not sleeping well and cant do my relaxation ta

Karen
28-02-05, 17:28
Hi Elf

Welcome to the forum. You'll get some good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
28-02-05, 19:31
Hi Elf

Just wanted to welcome you aboard the forum and hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

Tracy68
28-02-05, 19:57
Hi Elf
Welcome to the site. As you can see you will get plenty of help and support here to help you through these difficult times.
Take care
Tracy
x

lainey
01-03-05, 00:09
Hi Elf

Welcome to the site, you'll get lots of help and support here

take care

Elaine x

bubbles
01-03-05, 01:35
Elf,

Welcome to the site.

Sounds like you are having a tough time. I hope that the herbal stuff at least helps you to get some sleep.

Everyone is friendly & helpful on here, am sure you will find it supportive.

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Elf
01-03-05, 09:45
Thanks all :D

My big worry is that I have Lyme or something. I know that anxiety can make us worry about all sorts of things but I just got an email from a friend about Lyme and it is the first thing that also mentions the testicle pain. So being rational and worrying aren't things I can separate at the mo :(

It is very nice to meet you all anyway- the kind words and encouragement plus some detailed insights have been good for me thanks again!

Take care

Elf

stimpy
01-03-05, 21:14
Hi Elf and welcome.

It does sound anxiety related to me. After all you have been well tested.
So if it was something else it would have shown up.

Mr Panic is a master mimmick. He can make you think you have 1001 medical problems and all of them deadly.

Try not to worry too much.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Elf
02-03-05, 09:57
Cheers Liz. It would be so much better if they could just do a blood test and say 'yep, its anxiety' wouldn't it?

Oh well!

Take care

Elf