PDA

View Full Version : emetophobia

SarahLW
10-11-03, 19:14
Hello, new to this site. I suffer from anxiety and depression after the birth of my children but mostly its the emetophobia (fear of vomiting) thats destroying my life. Especially when we're in the car as I don't travel well at all. Trust me to marry a man whose family live all over the country! He's been very supportive so far, but has admitted that he finds me frustrating. So to add to all that low self esteem, I fear that my marriage will end if I don't get better. Do any of you feel under pressure to 'hurry up and be normal'?

Sarah

S L Williams

twister
10-11-03, 20:14
Hi Sarah

Welcome to the site, I'm sure you'll find lots of great info here. In response to your problem I think the more you worry about getting better soon the worse you will be as the anxiety builds up.

If your husband has been supportive so far it's unlikely he will give up on you now. Maybe you could get your husband to read some literature on your phobia (which is very common)to help him understand what you are feeling.

It'd also help you to go the doctor and try and get a course of cognitive behaviour therapy which is great for phobias and helps train you into new positive patterns of thought.

Let me know how you get on!

Emily

nomorepanic
10-11-03, 22:59
Hi Sarah

Welcome to the site :-)

There is another post about emetophobia. Have you read that too? some good advice on it?

Nicola

SarahLW
17-11-03, 16:31
Hello to everyone thats replied. I chatted to my husband about things and he hadn't realised I'd worried about what he'd said! oh well! I'm feeling a little more positive thanks to my counsellor and resuming taking anti-depressants. I even did some shopping today, something I try to avoid! My husband should be happy he's married to someone who actually doesn't like shopping!!!

S L Williams

swiftler
13-12-03, 01:21
hello everyone. This is my first post and boy am i glad i found this place.

It is so boosting to find people in a similar boat to you. I too fear being sick...today i was prescribed beta blockers but is this a way around the problem instead of tackling it head on, or is hypnotherapy the way to go?

Thanks

Ben

Meg
13-12-03, 11:05
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the site, I hope you've had a good hunt about and already read many of the posts on betablockers.

Beta blockers will help the symptoms not feel so aggressive and extreme ie stop your heart racing , breathlessness but will not change what caused this - so the best way forward it to get some kind of help CBT is the one of choice - or hypnotherapy and resolve whatever caused your anxiety under the cover of betablockers so when you do come off - slowly ! you are better able to cope with those stresses again.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

swiftler
14-12-03, 23:35
hi, thanks for the welcome....i have put off the medication and 2mro i will force myself. I am worried about them making me lethargic or unwell.

Laurie28
15-12-03, 15:28
Hiya Swiftler,

you don't have to take the meds if you don't want to. There are other ways to get better. Have a scout about and look for relaxion/food tips. Medication may make the path steadier but you can do without if you really are not that keen, remember it is entirely your decision.

Good luck whatever you decide

Love
lucky

Buby
22-12-03, 23:42
hi sarah, im a 14 year old girl who has also got a fear of vomiting and other people vomiting. i am seeing a counsellor at my school but shes only working on getting me back. i hope when i am older i have an understanding husband like you have, but what i wish for most is not to have the fear at all. How long have you had your fear? i have had mine from the age of 3 and i havent got anywhere with dealing with it, well not really. i have this book about anxiety and it has self hypnosis in it called the 'alpha script' and i want to try it and i think that will help you except i cant think of what the book is called. maybe if you ask nicola she may give you my email address so we can talk properly, but only if you want to of course. i have another person the same age as me who i email nearly everyday and it helps us as we speak alot about our problems. another thing to do is to start a diary and write down your thoughts and feelings thats what i do. sometimes i write it in poetry too which also helps.
Its nice to know someone knows what im going through. and it isnt if you get what i mean cause it is a terrible thing to worry about as its the way of life. do you ever go to a shopping centre and you see a baby whos just been fed and you dont want them to be ill but you keep looking at them just to see if they are. i do that and i absolutly hate putting myself through that.
Merry Christmas and enjoy the new year all the way through. lots of love Rachel aka ratchit

benoo5
23-12-03, 00:57
rachel,

ime so sad,that someone,as young as you,is suffering like this,life can be such a bitch sometimes.

you really need proffesional councelling,such as cognitive behaviour therapy..these guys get you to change your thought patterns,from negative,to positive,and over a period of time,are very successful...keep posting on this site,my love,and everyone here will try to improve your life,they are sooo caring,and will advise you,every step of your way...stick with us,and we will help you..ive always advocated..little steps..cos i think that is the one way to succeed.

ime going to remember your name....and i want you posting a success story,in march,dont let me down now,if you ever want to email me,its ....bryancday@hotmail.com..bryan.

DawnUK
07-01-04, 23:32
Hi, you're definitely not alone! I have a fear of vomiting too, I say fear rather than phobia as I've been sick a few times and just had to deal with it! I too had it since I was little. I was sick when I was about 5, then not again 'til I was 16, and let's just say I overdid it on the brandy and cokes on my b.day ;) But I was so panicky about being sick I was running round like a madwoman, thus I didn't manage to do it in the loo or sink and my mum and best friend had a really nasty cleaning up job to do![:I]

A couple of years later I had a few days of the gastric flu. I thought i was gonna die! I was at my grandparents at the time and my Nan who had just had a major cancer op was looking after me, and then there was me acting hysterically just coz I was puking. It really should've got it in perspective for me, but alas it didn't!

Even now, if I've had a few too many bevvies and feel queazy, I pray and pray that I won't be sick, and touch wood, 9 times out of 10 I haven't been.

I personally put it down to the time when I was 2 and almost choked to death on a sweet. Only my Mum's long nails saved me! I also used to have a fear of swallowing tablets, so I think I'm just phobic of anything blocking my throat, which applies to the sickness phobia too I suppose.

Does anyone else have an occurance they can link their phobia with?

swiftler
11-01-04, 15:17
Hello everyone...

since my first post, i have have tried beta blockers, come off them and now currently seeing a hypnotherapist. I have been to three sessions and although i have only been hypnotised once, i have found it to be working. We have mainly tried EFT, accupressure and accutapping and i have found it useful to have a technique to fall back on if i feel sick or in a state of panic.

bigredadventure
25-01-04, 23:52
My mum suffers from this too. Even being in a pub/on a bus with a drunk person can set her off. It`s so bad that my sister was ill recently with a tummy bug, and when she was vomiting, my mum hid in the kitchen and shut the door. My mum`s phobia comes from her father, who had parkinson`s disease, and was very ill towards the end of his life. She naturally connects the two. Going to see the psychologist was fruitless - he told her to listen to tapes of people vomiting, with a view to watching a video!! Needless to say she was out of there!

Cheers!

te34resa
29-02-04, 21:51
This is one of my biggest fears too. I think I can remember evry time I was ever sick, although I'm not fearful of others being sick, unless they have a tuumy bug I could catch. I'm pretty sure mine started because of my mum's fear. I was always a bad traveller, even worse when I was little and my mum would panic if she thought I was going to be sick travelling, so I learnt that it was something to cover up and be ashamed of, almost, as it would upset my mum so much. I was determined when I had children not to make a big deal of it. Just shows what we pick up, doesn't it? I wish you all the best.E-mail anytime if you would like to.

dcaroon
12-03-04, 22:02
You know it is kinda wierd but I have a extra muscle in my stomach that I am not suppose to have.
It is attached to my diaphram, It enables me to pump my own stomach.
So i can vomit just as easily as I can blink my eye.
This comes in handy when I need to get out of work!

HB
03-04-04, 12:41
Hi everyone,
im a new member so im not sure how this works but... I couldnt believe my eyes when i saw that other people actually have this stupid phobia aswell!! do you all feel silly like me when you are out, someone gets a little drunk and you end up hysterical in the corner??
I have been phobic of being sick since i was 2 (im 17 now) I managed to avoid being sick for 15 years however, i caught a bug in october 2003 and went through the worst experience of my life... as a result I had daily panic attacks, became permanately breathless and actually kept forgetting how to swallow and choked regularly whilst eating. I have began CBT and have to say that im not getting very far with watching the videos etc as i know in my head that they arent real, has anyone got any tips for me? this is ruining my social life and i cant go on like it. Thanks

H