PDA

View Full Version : New person same old problems

slavetoanxiety
07-01-08, 13:26
Hi all
i have suffered probably like most in silence for 30 years with anxiety costing me friends and jobs along the way. Cant say I have dreadful symptoms like some on this forum but enough for me to seek help for the first time. Today I visited the doctor regarding other health issues and the subject of anxiety was raised by the doctor and for the first time I opened up and told of my 30 years battling mainly social and health anxiety. The doctor suggested Counselling which I amazed myself by agreeing too. She also gave me 10mg of citalopram which to be honest I am not sure about taking having read the information on the leaflet and on this website. Taking drugs is not a road i particuly want to go down and feel that it may be a short term solution that may turn into another problem. I dont feel out of control and i feel i might be better waiting for the counselling (albeit a long wait).
I would be interested in any natural remedies to try.
grateful for any thoughts.

Lindalou64
07-01-08, 13:31
HEELO SLAVETOANXIETY AND WELCOME I WISH YOU WELL.........LINDA

manmoor
07-01-08, 13:31
Hi Slave,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

chalky
07-01-08, 14:08
Hi Slave,

Welcome to NMP.

:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

I hope you will take advantage of the support and advice available to you here.
It's good that you have confided in your Doctor and I would urge you to continue with that.
I have been off Meds for 18 months.Meds-of themselves-are not a cure but they can help with the worst of your symptoms.They also do take time to kick in.I have no experience of your particular Meds so I cannot offer any specific advice with it.All drugs do have side-effects but not all side-effects affect every patient.
Check out the Main Menu for more advice on Meds.
Best wishes,
Chalky

joan2007
07-01-08, 14:08
hi slave and welcome, you have came to the right place, i have been on citalopram for 3 months, 20mg, helping a bit, still struggling with agro, this site is helping me soooo much. Good luck to you:D
joanxxxxxxxxx

kellie
07-01-08, 14:26
hi slave welcome to nmp hope you find lots of help here just like i have. i also have health anx and know how you feel. this site has been a great help to me and im sure you will find it helpful. hope to see you in the chat room.

take care kellie .

groovygranny
07-01-08, 17:11
Hello there:welcome: to you!

Meds are by no means th ebe-all and end-all. I too have always been reluctant to go down that road. But, at my most dasrkest time I'm very glad I did. I was advised to take 60mg daily of Citalopram by my GP - and the first few weeks were indeed very difficult with side effects. However, upon more advice and support by a friend, who was also a GP, I perservered and have never regretted it.

I now view medication as an 'enabler'. It enabled me, through giving me the respite from symptoms, to receive counselling and tackle the root causes of my anxiety and panic.

I hope this will be true for you also.

You will find great support and help here - Pleased to meet you!

:)

nomorepanic
07-01-08, 22:34
Hi and welcome aboard.

Have a good read of the website pages on the left as there is some info on natural remedies there as well.

Hope we can be of some help anyway.

SANDYJANE
08-01-08, 09:16
hi and a big welcome .

love Sandyjane xxx

Nibbles
08-01-08, 17:17
Hi Slavetoanxiety and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. Bach Rescue Remedy is a natural remedy that is very popular so you might want to try that.

Take care,

Mike :)