PDA

View Full Version : Fear of fear

BRYYAN
07-01-08, 20:46
Hi all,

I am a successful teacher of sixty-one and have always to a certain degree suffered panic attacks and and anxiety, once ended up in hospital. I do not take any medication after a bad experience with Paxil. I joined the site because I feel under constant anxiety. Especially recently as my sister died after falling down stairs at the age of sixty-nine, she was suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

I have since read that it can be hereditary and now I find that I am constantly analysing myself. Sometimes I cannot remember words or famous peoples names. I start to panic and go through the symptoms, fear laboured breathing, yawning etc. But I can always remember the words or name after about a minute when I have calmed down. Is this the start of the disease?

All this anxiety is spoiling the quality of my life which in many ways would be the envy of many. Lovely wife, family, home, plenty of money, new Mercedes, very happy and successful in my work, no problems whatsoever. Is what is happening to me the price I have to pay for happiness, I don't really know.

I would appreciate any form of advice help or encouragement to enable me to deal with this destructive condition.

Many thanks,

Brian

Yvonne
07-01-08, 21:20
Brian

I don't think it's Alzeimers. I also forget words and names and then when I try NOT to remember them - maybe 5 minutes later the name comes to me. It's weird how the mind works but sometimes trying to remember something is not the way to remember ---- it's when our mind is distracted by something else - then the name/word comes to us.

I think this is all to do with part of our condition and I don't think it's anything to worry about. We have tired minds that's all.

The fact that your sister had Alzheimers is playing on your mind and the thought may be becoming a little obsessive - that's the natue of anxiety as well I think. It's the anxiety making you fear the illness. Another thing with anxiety I have noticed is that our minds seem to look for things to get anxious about. Strange but true in my case anyway. Also you get this thing where thoughts can stick - you know the thoughts are not true but somehow you dwell on them.

Have you read any good books on this subject? Do a little reading on anxiety conditions and I think it will ease y our mind a lot.

Yvonne

chalky
07-01-08, 21:25
Hi Bryyan,

Welcome to NMP.
You will find loads of support and advice available here.
Anxiety has no respect for class ,gender or financial stability.
You have recently come through the trauma of a death in the family-a major stressor for anyone.
Have you had a full M.O.T. from your G.P. lately? If not,I would suggest this as a starting point.
It is easy to feel as though the future is doom-laden but this does not have to be the case.
The reality is that by coming here you have started the fight back.
With hard work on your part,recovery can be achieved.
Best wishes,
Chalky

BRYYAN
07-01-08, 21:29
Brian

I don't think it's Alzeimers. I also forget words and names and then when I try NOT to remember them - maybe 5 minutes later the name comes to me. It's weird how the mind works but sometimes trying to remember something is not the way to remember ---- it's when our mind is distracted by something else - then the name/word comes to us.

I think this is all to do with part of our condition and I don't think it's anything to worry about. We have tired minds that's all.

The fact that your sister had Alzheimers is playing on your mind and the thought may be becoming a little obsessive - that's the natue of anxiety as well I think. It's the anxiety making you fear the illness. Another thing with anxiety I have noticed is that our minds seem to look for things to get anxious about. Strange but true in my case anyway. Also you get this thing where thoughts can stick - you know the thoughts are not true but somehow you dwell on them.

Have you read any good books on this subject? Do a little reading on anxiety conditions and I think it will ease y our mind a lot.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne for your kind words

groovygranny
07-01-08, 21:47
Hello BRYYAN :welcome: to you!

I agree, I really don't think you have Alzheimer's - I'm like that most of the time....and I don't even remember eventually sometimes! I put it down to age, 'hormones' (I'm 53), and my job (also education) !!

However, I can understand your concern - and we're all here to help and support you through that.:hugs:

my belief is happiness does not come at a price - it is a state of heart and mind, so please try not to dwell on that thought.

Glad you decided to join us - pleased to meet you!

Take a browse through the links on the left - some good stuff there!

:)

nomorepanic
07-01-08, 22:13
Hi Brian

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

I think a lot of us anxiety sufferers tend to be more forgetful and I am sure it isn't the onset of anything more sinister. You can, however, be tested for the likelihood of you getting it but I am not sure how readily available test that is.

Anyway - lovely to see you here.

PUGLETMUM
08-01-08, 14:56
hi brian, confusion is a symptom of anxiety and me like the others have regular 'blanks'. obviously you are concerned because of your sister having alzheimers, my mum died from cancer 15 years ago and at times i worry that i will get it also, so i know how that feels. if you have experienced anxiety/panic throughout your life then when you experience stress for whatever reason - death, birth, redundancy, divorce etc etc then you will see a rise in your anxiety, but its how you deal with it that determines how long you will suffer. what you are experiencing will not last and will not kill you, and to some extent everybody, even those who have never suffered with anxiety will actually be feeling like s*** after somebody close dies, but they dont worry about it the same way we do. they pass through it. and as for having a new car etc, material stuff will never stop anxiety,having nice cars doesnt stop you from being human and suffering and neither will having a good job or family. but when you come out of your anxiety state you will be able to appreciate what youve got - when it passes its like 'waking up' everything comes 'alive' again, so have hope that you will get through how you are feeling now. take care emma

Lindalou64
08-01-08, 15:51
HELLO BRYON AND WELCOME I AGREE WITH THE OTHERS W/ANXIETY THE MIND RACES AND WE TEND TO FORGET NAMES ECT BUT IT COMES BACK TO US.......SOMETIMES I WILL BE IN A CONVERSATION AND EVEN FORGET WHAT WE ARE TALKIN ABOUT BUT IM AWARE OF THIS CAUSE MY MIND IS ON OVER TIME...I WISH YOU WELL BRYON..................LINDA

BRYYAN
08-01-08, 16:03
HI ALL,

MANY MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE REASSURING WORDS. IT IS GOOD AND ENCOURAGING TO KNOW THAT THE ARE OTHERS WHO ARE WIILING TO OFFER HELP AND ADVICE.

THANKS AGAIN,

BRIAN:)

Nibbles
08-01-08, 17:33
Hi Brian and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. I'm 24, walk into rooms forgetting what I came in for, forget words and names, I think we all do sometimes so it's nothing to worry about.

Take care,

Mike :)