PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

torsades
08-01-08, 13:57
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site so thanks for letting me become a member of it. What I've read so far has given me a bit of hope but I reckon it'll be a long time before I'll be settled in myself.
I had my first (what I would consider) panic attack the other day and I feel totally freaked out about it and pretty rubbish about myself. I was driving to work and suddenly for absolutely no reason I can work out was gripped by an absolutely paralysing fear and feeling of impending doom. It gradually faded and I got to work but was so shaken up I couldn't do anything and had to go home. Since then I've felt generally anxious and lethargic and unwilling to do anything. I've never had anything like this before although I've been generally getting symptoms of dizziness and blurred vision and headaches on and off for over a year (and been fully investigated for them and nothing found). I'd not really considered any kind of mental issue before but the more I read and my experiences the other day seem to fit. I just feel pretty low at the moment (and still pretty scared and debilitated). Has anyone else had experiences like this? It'd be nice to hear from a sympathetic ear - I don't really have anyone I can talk to and I have a lot of external issues which really aren't helping at the moment.
Anyway, my apologies if that sounds a little desperate or oppressive; I actually feel a bit better havinf written something down though.
Thanks for your time.

chalky
08-01-08, 14:18
Hi Torsades,

Welcome to NMP.
:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

You will find loads of support and advice available here.
Check out the Main Menu for lots of specifics on Anxiety conditions.
A proper diagnosis of your condition by your G.P. may assist you in establishing a proper treatment plan so this is worth considering.
Being ready and willing to talk about your emotions is a great way for you to start your journey in NMP.Well done.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Hope 2
08-01-08, 14:23
hello there :emot-wave:

only joined myself a couple of days ago am very new to all this but have felt better being amongst people who understand. there are loads of others who been there worn the t shirt etc who will definitely be able to help . panic attacks are not on my list of problems ! but wanted to reassure u as i kindly was when joining .

good luck
hope u find some comfort soon
ps writing stuff down does help i agree x

Lindalou64
08-01-08, 15:54
HELLO TORSADES AND WELCOME TO THE SITE I WISH YOU WELL...LINDA

Nibbles
08-01-08, 17:30
Hi Torsades and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. Feelings of impending doom are extremely common when suffering a panic attack and they often leave you feeling drained. I'm glad writing something down has helped and look forward to seeing you around.

Take care,

Mike :)

nomorepanic
08-01-08, 19:40
Hi Torsades

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Have a good read of the website pages on the left here and you will pick up some great advice and tips for coping.

kate
08-01-08, 20:23
Hi Torsades, and a big welcome to the forum :flowers:

Kate

trac67
08-01-08, 22:41
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Franz
08-01-08, 22:58
Hi Torsades. I wonder if your headaches, dizziness etc. are symptoms of long-term stress of some sort? My big panic attack came at the tail end of a long period of sustained mental stress, and I think that played a big part in my breakdown. I completely recognise the feeling of doom that you describe.

I have found this group very valuable - just realising that there are other people out there who've been through the same thing was a big big relief.

I'm not an expert on panic attacks, but I believe they rarely just come "out of the blue" - there usually seems to be a build-up of stress in the background, even if it's not conscious. Perhaps you should go back to your doctor and ask if they think you might be suffering from stress?

I had my "big" attack 2 months ago, and - touch wood - have been making a gradual, and not particularly smooth, recovery since then. I'm now not too bad most of the time. That's just to let you know that things will improve! Things that helped me were: improving my social life; this group; diazepam; my family.

Best wishes,

Francis

groovygranny
08-01-08, 23:21
Hello torsades:welcome: to you!

Sounds like classic symptoms of panic and depression - probably caused by stress, but only a GP would be able to diagnose that, Chalky is spot on there.

When I was diagnosed I'd actually gone to see my GP for something entirely different - but he spotted the signs straight away......especially the 'doom and gloom' thoughts, fear and lethargy.

Glad you joined us though - we all help and support each other here!

Pleased to meet you!

:)

torsades
08-01-08, 23:49
Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome. It's nice to know there are other people out there who understand.

manmoor
09-01-08, 08:11
Hi Torsades,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

SANDYJANE
09-01-08, 09:37
hi and big warm welcome .

love sandyjane xx