PDA

View Full Version : I'm NEW and scared!

Cathy M
08-01-08, 14:38
Hi there

My name is Cathy, and have had a relapse of severe anxiety and panic attacks. (not since a trauma 10 years ago!)

it came out of the blue before Xmas, and now struggling on a daily basis with trying to divert the panic, calm down, see the docs, and cog therapy and it's exhausting!

the thoughts are the worse - and terrible thoughts, and it's very scarey!

anyone offer any re-assurance advice that it DOES get better?

thank you for reading xx

belle
08-01-08, 14:47
Hi and welcome :)

I'm sure you'll find some answers within the forum...

x

chalky
08-01-08, 14:54
Hi Cathy,

Welcome to NMP!
:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:
Your post refers to previous attacks 10 years ago.You survived then and you will survive now.
There is plenty of advice and support on offer to you here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Lindalou64
08-01-08, 15:52
HELLO CATHY AND WELCOME TO THE SITE YES IT DOES GET BETTER STAY POSITIVE AND NO THIS WONT HARM YOU YES ITS AN AWFUL FEELING AT THE TIME BUT IT DOES PASS....I WISH YOU WELL.......LINDA

MessedUp
08-01-08, 17:08
If you think of it as a temporary setback, you'll help yourself out of it, that's for sure. Hope and Positive Thinking make an enormous difference.

Horrible thoughts can be very nasty, but please realise they are just thoughts - and thoughts can't hurt you unless you pay too much attention to them... and even then it's the feelings they cause that are what bothers us most (the anxiety and panic we feel). So if you break the cycle by ignoring the thoughts, the feelings don't happen.

It takes practice to realise when we're thinking pointlessly destructive thoughts, and then divert our attention. My mantra is "Silly thoughts can't hurt me" followed by fantasies about a nice exotic holiday with great company :)
The anxiety falls away, and I'm fine until the next time. Sooner or later there won't be a next time, or it'll be ages away.

good luck

Nibbles
08-01-08, 17:36
Hi Cathy and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. I joined nearly a year ago and was signed off sick while feeling anxious a lot of the time. Now I'm back at work and feeling a lot better so things do improve. I'm still working at my anxiety all the time and sometimes it gets the better of me but generally I think it's about learning coping techniques that work for you.

Take care,

Mike :)

groovygranny
08-01-08, 18:03
Hello Cathy:welcome: to you!

Sorry to hear you're going through it. The scary thoughts are horrible, but they will not harm you - and, yes, it does get better.

But the learning process is very rarely a swift or easy one - that is what we are all here for, to help and support one another while we learn how to deal with our suffering:hugs:

Pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

trac67
08-01-08, 18:09
Hi Cathy,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

pink daisy
08-01-08, 18:24
Hi Cathy
aww hun x It does calm down hun so dont worry the whole panic thing settles so not everyday is the same. It sounds like you have got therapy as soon as so welldone u, Glad that you found the site you will get alot of help and advice where u need it, and you will make some good friends on the way,
I hope that I will get to know you more if you come in 2 chat. Chat is where you can get advice and help straight away as well as having a laugh with the rest of us... as laughing is one of the best therapies aroud and it makes recovery that so much easier too..

Pink daisey 29 and suffers from Agoraphobia

kate
08-01-08, 19:03
Hi Cathy, Welcome to the forum :flowers:

Kate

nomorepanic
08-01-08, 19:39
Hi Cathy

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Sorry to hear you are suffering again.

Have a good read of the website pages on the left here and you will pick up some great advice and tips for coping.

margaret911
08-01-08, 21:59
Hi Cathy
Welcome to nmp, just remember you got better before and you will do again. Sending you lots of hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
love Mags xxx

SANDYJANE
09-01-08, 10:19
hi and a big warm welcome

love sandyjanexxx

blue_haired_devil
09-01-08, 10:32
Hi there

My name is Cathy, and have had a relapse of severe anxiety and panic attacks. (not since a trauma 10 years ago!)

it came out of the blue before Xmas, and now struggling on a daily basis with trying to divert the panic, calm down, see the docs, and cog therapy and it's exhausting!

the thoughts are the worse - and terrible thoughts, and it's very scarey!

anyone offer any re-assurance advice that it DOES get better?

thank you for reading xx

I could have written that myself, Cathy. Except my last problem was 2 years ago, not 10. You're not alone and I think (hope) we will get better, we did last time. :hugs: