PDA

View Full Version : Web Design

Star
08-01-08, 15:03
Hey guys, I'm a bit stuck at the moment here's why - I really want to start up my own career in web design to do it from home, I think i'll be really good at it (done courses etc) but I just need a bit of advice on how to start up a career... so if any web designers on her can give an anxious girl advice i'd be very grateful!

:redface::o

yrinik
08-01-08, 15:25
hi star

i too am a web designer, what career path would you like to take web designing for businesses or just get started by doing simple projects?

nomorepanic
08-01-08, 15:26
I guess the first thing you really need is to set up some demo websites so people can see what sort of thing you can do for them.

You could ask local businesses if you could create them a website for free and if they like it they pay for it so you at least have an incentive to get the website created and running and also have something to show new customers.

The biggest problems are hosting it and the costs of that unless you can find a free site to do that for you - there are some still around I think.

Good luck.

groovygranny
08-01-08, 15:52
Hello Star,

I've used 'HostOnce' an Australian Web Hosting service and been very happy with their services.

Cost roughly £35 per annum for basic web hosting and no problems at all with downtime.

I've also heard good reports from 123REG.com, although I've never used it myself.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck!

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Star
08-01-08, 18:43
hi star

i too am a web designer, what career path would you like to take web designing for businesses or just get started by doing simple projects?

Hiya! I'd idealy like to start by doing simple projects... I have done a few kind of mock up websites for courses and stuff didnt know if i should put these on my own website (which is yet to go live...) I'm just feeling a bit stuck as to what steps i need to do to be self employed i suppose...

I guess the first thing you really need is to set up some demo websites so people can see what sort of thing you can do for them.

You could ask local businesses if you could create them a website for free and if they like it they pay for it so you at least have an incentive to get the website created and running and also have something to show new customers.

The biggest problems are hosting it and the costs of that unless you can find a free site to do that for you - there are some still around I think.

Good luck.

Hiya Nic, thank you for your reply - some great advice there :D

Hello Star,

I've used 'HostOnce' an Australian Web Hosting service and been very happy with their services.

Cost roughly £35 per annum for basic web hosting and no problems at all with downtime.

I've also heard good reports from 123REG.com, although I've never used it myself.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck!

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

that has helped thank you! my friend has suggested 123reg.com, I think i'm a bit confused on the hosting side of websites, i love the actual designing part! I'm still doing web design courses with the open university but as i'm not working i thought this would be a good thing to get into and start doing for real...

Thank you guys for your replies :D

yrinik
08-01-08, 20:46
hey star

can i ask how much experience you have as i have alot of links to pages that can help you and also tutorials that you can have a look at

Star
08-01-08, 23:03
hiya,

I did a year of college in web design, that was with Dreamweaver. I've done 3 open university courses:

Web Basics: Design, Development and management
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01TT280

The Client Side of application development (which i found difficult - but still managed to pass lol)
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01TT281

And I've just completed a course in design and designing
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01T211

I've now gone back to reusing and teaching myself dreamweaver and using photoshop with dreamweaver, but thats more for the design aspect of things... oh look i'm rambling! lol!

jacq
09-01-08, 10:23
Hi Star, I have also been thinking of this career as i am now unable to go out but desperately want to contribute to the family pot. My daughter is teaching me the basics at the moment using dreamweaver and front page and they both seem pretty self explanitary. My daughter has designed 2 web sites so far, 1 for her dad as he has just bought a Tae Kwon Do training school, and 1 for her own instructor. They are both hosted by 123reg and cost £60 each, this includes hosting for a year and the .com domain name for 2 years, they are a great company and have been very helpfull with the setting up- very quick e-mail support. I would love everyone to have a look at her sites www.essingtontaekwondo.com (http://www.essingtontaekwondo.com) and her instructors site www.wolverhamptontaekwondo.com (http://www.wolverhamptontaekwondo.com) as i am so proud of her and think she could make a career out of it, she has just been asked to design a site for a lady who restores stained glass windows who has previously been quoted £300 for a 4 page web site for 1 year so it seems a good money earner. My daughters name is Rachel you will see her picture on the essington site and her sister Megan is the tiger, Rachel is only 13 years of age and did it all by herself! :yesyes:

Jacq x

yrinik
09-01-08, 14:40
hey star

your well educated on web design you should start by advertising even if its just a small add in your local area get as much experience doing small websites for people read up on hosting and stuff also you can start hosting your own websites later on using a windows server and start making money

Lilith1980
09-01-08, 14:47
Hi ya, not sure if this will help. Its information on starting up your own business. I find it quite handy as I am currently setting myself up as a freelance music composer :)

www.bizhelp24.com (http://www.bizhelp24.com)

xxx

yogiram
04-08-12, 07:36
Hey guys, I'm a bit stuck at the moment here's why - I really want to start up my own career in web design to do it from home, I think i'll be really good at it (done courses etc) but I just need a bit of advice on how to start up a career... so if any web designers on her can give an anxious girl advice i'd be very grateful!

:redface::o
Hi, Try with a website for you to market your business. Propagate this information to your friends and relatives. You may be getting jobs from them too.