PDA

View Full Version : Which tri-cyclic helped most?

janey50
08-01-08, 17:37
Hi everyone. There's a chance I might be switched from SSRIs to a tri-cyclic anti-d and would love to know if anyone has had a positive experience on any of these older drugs. i suffer a lot with insomnia so am looking for a drug that does not have that listed as a side-effect! I have been on just about all the SSRIs and Venlafaxine - currently on Sertraline but nothing seems to be hitting the anxiety on the head. Any advice welcome!

joy
08-01-08, 17:49
Sounds like you are still struggling as I am, sertraline so far hasnt done anything for the anxiety

Joy

Janice Booth
09-01-08, 01:23
Janey,

I was on Citalopram for 8 months, which is an SSRI and it made me worse! I changed onto Nortriptyline which is a Tri-cyclic drug and they really helped. I have only been on the starting dose though of 3 x 10mg per day which will, I am sure, be increased after my next GP appt as I am not feeling well again. They really did help though for the first couple of months - so like all meds they need regular assessing and changing when necessary.

Don't give up as I'm sure you will find the right meds for you in the end.

Love

Janice xx

dazedandconfused
11-01-08, 19:37
I have also been on a tricyclic chlomipramine(or anafranil) mostly for anxiety related IBS. I have taken them on and off for the last nine years, stopping them due to pregnancies. I only needed 20 mg a day which I took at night, on this dose I didnt suffer too many side effects and they worked really well for me mostly because they can cause constipation. I think they could help with insomnia as i took them at night and they did have a sedative effect. Unfortunately I tried going back on them for a third time and i can not tolerate them anymore so am now dealing with the anxiety and diarhoea again and for the first time insomnia!. Something to bear in mind if you find they work for you, I dont think yoyoing in and off these meds is a good idea.
So if you find something that works stick on it

lesleyB
12-01-08, 14:17
I took Amytriptiline for years and it helped me sleep well ,as I have got older though I can not tolerate it any more and now take Sertraline.

chloe555
12-01-08, 15:06
Hi ya

I have been on clomipramine for 2 years and its the only anti depressant that has helped me.

chloe xxx

Jamesk
22-02-12, 11:38
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but my Doc just prescribed me nortriptyline and I was wondering how long I should expect it to take to kick in and start having an effect?

Saffycat
22-02-12, 15:11
Hiya.
I have been prescribed Nortriptyline for my anxiety. Started them 11 days ago, 10mg 4 2 days, 20mg 4 2 days & now on 30mg. Also taking Propanolol (beta blocker) in morning. So far haven't felt any difference, don't want to go back 2 work. But maybe early days yet. No major horrible side effects just feeling tired in day (but I always feel tired anyway!) & major constipation :(
How much have u been prescribed & what for if u don't mind me asking?
I'm back at doctors on Friday, so will see what he says.