PDA

View Full Version : Dentists today

Bill
09-01-08, 02:52
Hopefully a little light relief to read.:)

I had the appointment this morning for the preparation work to have a crown fitted which meant sitting there for quite a while.

I decided not to have any tea or breakfast before I went because above the chair on the ceiling is a picture of a waterfall and of course when we feel nervous, we feel we need a loo so I thought I better be empty before I went for the appointment!:D

Anyway, he started drilling and I think because I was feeling very tired, my body felt a little on edge. He'd given me an injection so I couldn't feel anything so I decided to try and take my mind away from how my body was feeling by closing my eyes and taking myself away from where I was sitting.

I started thinking of "nice things, nice places" etc. Things I needed to do when I got out, places I had to go etc. Before I knew it I started to doze off! I kept feeling my mouth shutting and when I felt something it reminded me to keep my mouth open!:D

Oh boy, I felt so comfortable sitting there with my mind miles away that I just got Too cosy!

I have to go back in 2 weeks time to have the crown fitted. It won't take so long so I think I'll be able to keep awake!:D

Anyway, the serious side is that often the fear of going is worse than the experience itself and that relaxing techniques can be very effective..........too effective sometimes! :D

Southern_Belle
09-01-08, 02:59
Bill I am so happy for you and I can't imagine almost falling asleep getting crown work done! I also went to the dentist today just to have my teeth cleaned and have to have laughing gas to calm me down. It helps so I do it every six months. You do what you gotta do :shrug: . Anyways, congrats again and I agree the second appointment won't be long enough for another nap, lol.

Take care,

Laura

lorac
09-01-08, 10:01
Well done Bill, I hope I can sail through my appointment with ease when I go.

Carol

sagey
10-01-08, 00:30
Hi Bill, glad to know you can relax succesfully in the dentist chair. The Dentist is a huge problem for me, especially as I'm agorophobic right now and badly need to go. I wish they'd come to your home, knock you out and cart you off to do the treatment, when you wake up you're back home having a glass of wine! Cheers, Sagey.

ginnungagap
10-01-08, 03:05
Dentists :wacko: :ohmy: I have a huuuuuuuuuge fear of going, and have since I was little. I badly need some work doing at the mo but I just keep putting it off for as long as is humanly possible.
Big up to you Bill for finding a coping strategy lol!!

Bill
10-01-08, 04:12
At one point I didn't go to the dentists for literally years because I had a fear of going for treatment.

One Sunday, I lost half a tooth and so I had no choice. When I saw the dentist he had to create the lost half with a filling but to secure it he had to drill 3 pins into my gum.

I decided to have the treatment done Without an injection. Yes, it hurt like hell But I knew if I could get through that then anything else I needed done would feel minor compared.

These days I have an injection and the treatment is virtually painless but I'm convinced it's because I confronted my fear in the hardest way because I gained confidence from it. That was nearly 20 years ago and I've never stopped going for treatment since.

It's the same tooth I'm having a crown fitted!

I forgot to say he played some lovely music at the time which also nearly relaxed me Too much!!! So...:blush: :D

Lilith1980
10-01-08, 13:27
Well done Bill :)

I've never been a huge fan of dentists. I had to have all four of my wisdom teeth out a few years back. They had to knock me out and I was so scared I wouldnt wake up!

I normally just try and think of other things as well, but its normally about the surroundings - like how white everything is, or how naff the wallpaper is lol.

Last time I went I had to have my first ever couple of fillings which was a bit traumatic but I got through it. Came out a bit shaky though so I think I'd have one filling done at a time if I need to in future.

Well done again, I had to smile when you said you nearly nodded off :D

xxxxx

Lindalou64
10-01-08, 13:36
THATS GREAT BILL BUT FALL ASLEEP UMMMMMM HOW YOU DO THAT LOL.ANYWHOS I HAVE DENTIST TODAY MYSELF THE HARD PART FOR ME IS THE DRIVING THERE ALONE WHICH I HAVE A PHOBIA OF HIGHWAYS DRIVING ALONE UGH I HATE IT BUT COULD BE WORSE......LINDA XX

Hope 2
17-01-08, 02:12
Hello Bill

ive had some major traumas at the dentists and like you i think well thats the worst it could ever be . but it is a nightmare for plenty of people , i still have to hold back the desire to throw up when im only ringing for an appointment . but im a great believer in making light of such strong impulses and anxiety related urges cos it really does help . laughter is the best medicine and all that ...........

your little story made me proper chuckle thanks !

Hope x x

Bill
17-01-08, 03:23
Well, I've got to go back next week for the crown to be fitted so I better not have a really late night the night before as I have been lately or I really will drop off!!!:sleep:

I still find it amazing how fear and stress can make us feel so ill and yet we can feel so calm without them like 2 extreme opposites. I guess in truth we're all afraid of something but alot of people are too busy to realise until one day their fear confronts them and then it's a case of discovering how much it affects them in regaining what they had.

I must admit it's taken me years to overcome the actual fear but I still get nervous before I go. My mother told me she used to take us regularly so we didn't build up a fear of the dentists but I have some bad memories so maybe it had the opposite effect because for a while I wouldn't go until one day I had no choice when I lost half a tooth. Only then did I decide that somehow I needed to overcome this before all my teeth fell out! Now I can't stay awake! Oh dear!:shrug:

Still, I guess it proves some fears can be overcome even if we still get nervous.

Bill
22-01-08, 18:34
A little more info.

Had my crown fitted today. Boy, was I feeling Tired!!!...and yes, I could have Easily dozed off again!:sleep:

Afterwards I told the dentist. He told me he's actually had to wake people in the past!!! At least I'm not the only one!:blush:

I also asked him about the phobia. His reply was curious. He said he thought people were afraid of the dentists because the work involves keeping the mouth open rather than I always thought, the pain involved.

It made me wonder- when we have to keep our mouths open, it's not so easy to breathe especially when someone's fiddling around in there so it maybe a fear of not being able to breathe that creates the panic?

I honestly don't know the answer to this one so I'm asking you - is it fear of pain, fear of feeling trapped or fear of not being able to breathe causing panic....or something else?:shrug: It just started me thinking because if we identify our actual fear, we can find a way to cope better.

kazzie
22-01-08, 18:57
Hi Bill:D

I used to have the most dreadful fear of dentists......it stemmed from the smell of the surgery when I was a kid!!!

I dident go at one point for 14 years:blush:

Now a dentist has never hurt me, but even tho I have a lovely dentist now I still panic every time I have to go!!!

I have come to the conclusion in my case thats its a learned response thingy!!!!

Dentist Eeekkkkk lets panic:shrug:

When I get there I am fine:blush:

Crazy eh???

Kaz x x x

sagey
22-01-08, 21:36
Hello Bill. For me it's definately not the fear of pain, it's more the claustrophobia, being trapped and in addition to this I fear my "gag reflex" (which we all have), I won't be able to swallow and that I'll end up a heaving wreck and get sent home , totally demoralised.

Bill
25-01-08, 03:26
Just wanted to thank you for your replies.

It's curious isn't it how our fears appear to be based on different things.

Thank you for sharing.:hugs: