PDA

View Full Version : Church

flinty90
09-01-08, 11:02
Now i only ever go to church on christmas eve with the kids to show them what christmas is all about , but when im there and i might sound strange but i feel safe .

I wondered if any health anxiety sufferers had evr turned to church as a way out ??

I have been thinking wether i would be happier if i went to church every sunday and had someting to believe in.

The biggest thing when you suffer health anxiety is the fear of death, i wonder if you actrually looked at death from a different point of view (I>E GOD) and perhaps got it into your mind that death perhaps isnt so bad would we still feel as anxious,

like i said im not generally religious in anyway but i do think it would be great to positively believe in something that would make you feel safe and well, and perhaps if the worst came to the worst at least you wouldnt be afraid of death ..

What do you guys think

Flinty

jacq
10-01-08, 10:42
Hi Flinty,
Strange isn't it, i only go at christmas for the kids christingle or weddings deaths etc, but i also feel a sense of safe and calm, can't explain it but i know that having strong beliefs is a comfort to lot's on here. Would love to give it a go regulary but not sure i could face getting up befor 8 every sunday!!! it's the only time i get a lie in and i would feel even more stressed going without. LOL.

Jacq x

Stefan P
06-02-08, 11:02
I could banter on for ages about Christianity and how my faith helps me out (sometimes), if you have any specific questions or anything I might be able to help out with (been a Christian for 20 years now) then please send me a message on the forum and I will answer what I can!

Tom_M
06-02-08, 11:40
I'm an atheist, but I encourage anyone to take up religion. I do honestly believe that one of the biggest reasons why so many people these days suffer from emotional problems, is because of the decline of religion. Religion offers hope, it answers all the question that are unanswerable, like what is the meaning of life, is there life after death. It's a spiritual crutch i know, but we all need one.

Lilith1980
06-02-08, 12:03
I think my only "problem" with the religion thing is that on the one hand it seems like a good thing for me to look into as it may help me find inner peace and calm, but then I dont want it to be a crutch (which I fear it would be) as I want to be able to feel "ok" and at peace within myself without anything external determining this.

I am interested in reading about mindfulness and the teachings of the Buddha though. I guess you dont have to convert fully to one particular religion, but you can take aspects/teachings of a religion and incorporate them into your life if they benefit you.

Jo xxxxx

chalky
06-02-08, 13:25
Hi Flinty,

What have you got to lose by trying this?
Getting involved in an organisation which has the principles of care and compassion for others at its core sounds like a great idea.
Best wishes,
Chalky

*Broken_Mind*
06-02-08, 14:27
I strongly agree that my faith is what keeps me alive and ready to fight everything each day brings. If you have any questions or worries or anything to do with Christianity or anything else please do contact me :)

Stacey x

PUGLETMUM
06-02-08, 15:04
:) hi, i didnt think i had any faith, i went to a catholic school as a child but then went on to a state senior school and pretty much stopped believing in god around that time - this was deepened when my mum died at age 53 after 2 years sick with cancer. but i have become more and more spiritual in the 15 years since my mum died and i too have thought about going to church again - would prob go church of england though as would have to go through hoops to go catholic! anyway maybe it is just wishful thinking, but maybe its something much deeper , either way who knows and if it isnt hurting anyone then theres no problem. just give it a go and see how you feel. btw i did know a guy who was back and to to church when he was suffering deeply with social phobia but i dont htink he ever found any 'answers'at church, i think you do have to have a belief in yourself and in a higher being to get any benefit i feel. emma

belle
06-02-08, 17:14
Jo..
I agree with you. Take elements from whatever religion. I was raised in a C of E home. My mother is very religous. I went to church every Sunday, but also in some respects it was pushed upon me. If i didn't want to go then my mother would say things like "God has looked after you all week and you can't spare 30 minutes" and that'd make me feel guilty and then i'd go.

However, now, being my choice, i did read the bible a lot at one point and i also have many books on the teachings of Buddhism.

A lot of people turn to God/Buddha/Allah (whoever) in times of need. Its no bad thing :)

x

Richie
15-02-08, 20:36
Hello Flinty
Yep if you have faith and believe in something then i reckon it can really help.
I don;t have any particular religion but i'm not an atheist at all , am an agnostic i think is what they call it because i want to believe in a ultimate creator of all things.
I am spiritual and would really like to believe in a better life after this one, always think my relatives and my doggie are all together in a lovely place. When i think about that it helps, and when i go into an old old church i feel calmness and peace descend upon me. so i say a prayer sometimes silently pour everything out. And light a candle for loved ones. At times felt like i've not wanted to leave. But guess it would be a bit cold and draughty through the night not to mention a wee bit spooky lol

PaulaRubyLove
17-02-08, 21:44
It has really helped me too...

Angie
18-02-08, 20:11
Flinty Hi, I am so like you, I take my kids to Chrisdingle, to the mothers day service (cuz I get a bunch flowers) and to the crib service on Christmas Eve (cuz I want them to know that Christmas is about more than Santa) but I agree I feel a overwhelming sense of peace and calm when I am there – Why? I like to believe there is a greater good out there someone who loves us for who we are and not who we aspire to be. Has anyone seen the film ‘Bruce Almighty’ if not hire it now! ARK – an ‘act of random kindness’ – would that we could all aspire to this an ‘God’ knows I try to.

AceR1mmer
18-02-08, 20:34
Personaly i like knowing theres no god or heaven/hell,
Religion has caused more deaths then its ever "saved" just look at the middle east and their crazy wars. Another example: the crusades. loads of lives lost over what? stories.
Religion is just an old form of policing.
The thought of death does'nt really scare me, its just life.
In fact the meaning of life itself is'nt some complex question&answer
the meaning of life is just to live.
I also like the fact this world,life,universe is totaly random.
Only i can controll my life, and what happends in it.
I believe in ghosts so i know theres Somthing after life but i dont believe ghosts are link to any form of religion though.
Death is just another adventure, i await to see what happends.

The reason some people might feel safer in a church is because everyone there tends to be the kind-hearted type, so you of course have nothing to feel from them.
Either way do whatever it takes to make your life&anxiety easyer.:)

Southern_Belle
16-03-08, 17:51
I also find a calm peacefullness in church and in prayer. I'm probably an odd case due to the fact that that I'm a Minister's daughter and have had anxiety since I was a child. I truly believe I was born with it. I have also always attended church. I think that the "wars" in the name of religion are by man and their greed. That is not the way that Christ nor God intended the world to be and it breaks alot of the Commandments.

I personally find inner strengh knowing that there is a higher power that I call God and there is life after death. Prayer helps me through many a difficult time. I talked to a friend of mine recently who is living a dangerous life right now and I asked why and she stated that she believes that this is it. There is nothing after this so do everything and anything you want because life is short and afterwards there is nothing else! She even stated she was jealous of my beliefs and wish she could think there was something afterwards. Odd thing is she has gone to church with me a few times and has felt the presence of peace and what we have all stated.

I've never tried to push my beliefs on anyone but I do know that after going to hear the word of God I do feel better and calmer.

frank
16-03-08, 21:40
I'm a Christian too. I was at church tonight and didn't want to leave. When I focus on God things don't seem so bad.

domino
16-03-08, 22:14
I to am a believer, i must amit to not going to church though, i believe that there is life after death and that things happen for a reason. No matter wheather you believe or not , we always turn to god to get us through things., wheather big or small ,there is someone out there asking for his help. :smile:

Franz
16-03-08, 23:52
Flinty,

There are plenty of churches now that are quite liberal and which acknowledge that we can't take all of the Bible literally. There's the Quakers, the Unitarians, to some extent the C of E (the latter is quite a mixed bag - some people in it are rather judgmental, others are very tolerant).

Personally I am convinced that there is a "spirit realm", a realm where all minds are one. Whether there is literally a life after death, I've no idea - but I do believe that it is possible, in this life, to experience self-transcendence, and in a way that IS a kind of life beyond the individual, earthly one.

At the very least, a lot of reports of near-death out-of-body experiences suggest that death may not be the terrible thing we imagine it.

Allye
17-03-08, 00:02
I follow a pagan path, however I would not condone whichever path an individual chooses - it is a very personal thing.

aliciajane
17-03-08, 00:38
I come from a very strong Christian family. My parents, my sister, my grandparents on both sides, my aunts, uncles, cousins and basically everyone in it is a Christian.
I'm an agnostic, I'm just not sure about it. But I know how much support they get from their Churches, and I think it's wonderful what great people they are, regardless of their religion.
I think there's no harm in trying it out, and seeing whether you want to have a go with it or not right?
Take care,

xax

dianes
17-03-08, 17:23
Hi Flinty

I am a catholic (all be it a luke warm one) and I have found my faith is what has kept me going through the difficult times in life. I agree that it is men who have caused wars in the name of religion. I have suffered with bad health most of my life, in and out of hospital for a number of operations etc. etc. I am now suffering with panic/agoraphobia and have only been able to get to church Christmas eve and a fortnight ago when I couldn't make it to my uncles funeral.

My priest calls out every Friday to give me communion in the house and I can't wait for the time that I am able to go to church again every week. I find praying brings me calm as well as being in church. If it helps you I would say do it!

All the best

Diane

'Your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

PaulaRubyLove
17-03-08, 21:32
Although religion has helped me with anxiety, I've often dreaded the actual going to church part. I always feel like there are a million people staring at me in there, waiting to judge or waiting for me to do something wrong. I know they'e probably not paying much attention at all, that's just how I feel. It got to the point where the past few weeks I've actually ended up with panic attacks during mass. It's weird and I don't like it.

bluebottle
18-03-08, 11:15
Church provides a sense of belonging and community. You can get it from other places, but even if you don't believe, the fact that it is about love is a good thing.

tayside lassie
18-03-08, 11:26
hiya .. i can now go most places now that Ive got anxiety abit more under control ....but i can not seem to be at any ease what so ever in church..i dont go all the time but leave my partner to take our wee lad ...i just dont know why this is ..from the moment i go in to church i get anxiety my thoughts are i have to get out but would never embarrass myself or family by doing this.

sally......

Emira7
08-04-08, 13:52
I have started attending spirtualist church and I find that helps me enormously.
I feel peace within afterwards.