PDA

View Full Version : panic

nina
10-11-03, 19:21
Hi there I am Nina and i get bad panic attacks. when i don't i spend the rest of the time worrying about the next and feeling anxious. how can i stop thinking about it?

nina

nomorepanic
10-11-03, 21:33
Hi Nina

Good to see you here - you will get loads of help and advice :-)

Take some time to read the posts Nina as there is so much help on here :)

Nicola

benoo5
10-11-03, 23:44
hi nina,

there is no quick fix answer to your question,but from what ive learnt,its all about re-training your thought processes....easier said than done.

there are therapies...medications , all will alleviate the symptoms of panic...but it still boils down to the way we feel.

the simple answer is to say...think positive...never negative,but thats not so easy when you feel like your in a different world to everyone around you,when your heart pounds,and you feel your about to faint,or die....but the truth is,your not going to faint or die...its all in the mind....so the question has to be...how do you control your mind,those terrible thoughts of gloom,and doom.....this website was formed by nicola,to hopefully find the answer,and with help from her friend radar (a registered nurse),and research from around the world,ime sure that the answers are not far off..best wishes..bryan.

YOU HAVE TO WALK THROUGH THE RAIN,BEFORE YOU REACH THE RAINBOW.

diana
11-11-03, 05:31
Hiya Nina!!!!

Glad you found your way here, this is definitely the place to come and be. These posts have been literally a life saver, I am learning sooo much everyday. Benoo said it best by saying "YOU HAVE TO WALK THROUGH THE RAIN, BEFORE YOU REACH THE RAINBOW"!!!!! It is very hard, and there will be good days and bad days, but I think if we concentrate more on the good one`s as opposed to the bad one`s we can and will find the answers we are all looking for. Somehow I know when we do find them it will be here!!! and together!!!! :D. Like Nicola said read these posts there is tons of advice and support here, you are not alone. Keep ya chin up ;)

Cheers!!!

Diana :)

Jo
11-11-03, 08:36
Hi Nina - I went through a real tough stage of panicing about the next possible attack - it was like a vicious circle, not nice at all. So, I can totally understand how you are feeling.

After a lot of self-motivation and of course the support of the 'nomorepanic' site I have not had a fully blown panic attack for three months ish (had panic attacks 3-4 times a day). I attended an 'anxiety management course' about 5 months ago - my postings, I think, are still on the site. I met people face-to-face with the same problem as me - 'normal' (hate that word) friendly individuals. It was a life changing experience for me - helped me lots.

I may well have another panic attack Nina - who knows. I try to take each minute, hour, day as it comes. Sounds silly but whenever I get 'that feeling' I drink water and 'that feeling' soon, in my experience, subsides. The journey may be long but keep going Nina!!!!

Take care

Jo xxxx

nina
11-11-03, 09:45
Hi all. thanks for the supportive messages. this is what i need!!
I will try the drink tip i will carry a bottle of water!
Like the rainbow sayint too-very true! guess i think i got worse as i had two miscarriages then i lost my mum. so alot been going on.
Speak soon
Nina x

nina

diana
11-11-03, 13:25
Hiya Nina!!!
You are quite possibly right about the recent losses in your life making it even harder on you. Good thing you can kinda pin point the issues. That is the first step in healing and getting better (I Think)! Sorry for your losses, just know it does get better!!! I think I`ll try the water too. Take care, keep coming back for support and advice.

Diana xxx :)

Laurie28
11-11-03, 13:29
Hiya Nina - Welcome

Brian - I love your saying you have to walk through the rain to get to the rainbow - never heard it b4

luv
lucky

sarah
11-11-03, 13:41
Hi Nina
im exactly the same. I spend all the time im feeling ok, wondering why im not panicking, my thoughts are constantly analysing if im feeling anxious or not. Best thing i found is to keep my mind active - ive practically decorated the whole house since ive felt like this to kkep my mind busy ( at least something good has come of this...lol).
I do puzzle books, read, play on the computer, ive researched part of my family tree - anything to keep me interested in things.
love Sarah

diana
12-11-03, 17:21
Hi Nina,

WELCOME!!!!! I too do the same thing, when not feeling bad at all. I start wondering why am I not feeling anxious? Why am I not burning all over? Why am I not going into panic mode? I think sometimes we are our own worst enemies in this fight!!!! :). Though I know we will beat this together, everyone here on these posts!!!! Knowing I`m not alone has helped me tremendously, not to say that I never have anxious days or never feel panicky, but I know I can come here and there will be someone here and there will be support. I`m glad you found your way here.

Cheers,

Diana xxx :D

terry
10-02-07, 14:40
hi all its great to hear everybody has the same problems im new to this forum and i find it very interesting that you are all doing similar things to rid your panic, do you all have the same panic symptoms it all sounds very exhausting ive suffered for 20 odd years with all the symptoms and with it came OCD a friend of panic ive read many books been to many doctors taken medication and zilch a complete nothing until one day

terry
13-02-07, 06:47
Nina i know these pa is frightning its normal to have the sensations your having,sadly like everybody else your feeding your thoughts hence worrying that turns into anxiety giving u the snowball effect you need to learn how to turn your thoughts around remember the more u fear this the longer u will have pa change ur thinking.i cant stress this enough encourage the fear and sensations as much as it scares u PA cannot Kill You Ok After every PA your still alive Terry

davidthegnome
13-02-07, 15:59
Nina,

I have found that distraction helps a great deal. It can be anything, watching a good movie, a conversation with someone you like, a puzzle, a song. There are all kinds of ways to distract us from those thoughts. One of the key things to beating this is to stop reacting to it. I know that sounds hard, but when the anxious thoughts come on, or you feel afraid of the panic attacks, it may help you to challenge your thinking. Tell yourself that panic attacks cannot hurt you, remember all the times you've dealt with them before and escaped unscathed. Terrified maybe, but unharmed.

Also, as I earlier suggested to someone else... have you ever considered that there may be something positive about your experience? Panic attacks, anxiety, have they granted any positive benefits to you? Have you learned from them? There is always something positive about any situation, even as bad as panic attacks are, there is something positive about them too.

Personally I find that my experiences have made me more compassionate, less judgemental and overall more accepting of my fellow humans. I find that I appreciate it deeply when I am happy or smiling or laughing, I take very little for granted anymore. Try to find something positive for you about these panic attacks or anxiety. It could be anything at all.

Also, I strongly suggest some form of daily excercise. It could be anything, yoga, a short walk, a little workout. Some situps or pushups, whatever you feel comfortable with. Be sure to stretch first though, very important. Also important to warm up before a work out (just by moving your body around for a bit) and to cool down after (slowly allowing yourself to relax and again, stretching).

Further, caffeine and alcohol can make these symptoms and fears more intense, as can nicoteine. If you can, I'd recommend eliminating these from your diet (if you haven't already) or at least cutting back. Also, I am a strong believer in the power of EFT. It is a method of energy therapy, similar in a way to accupuncture, you can do it yourself and learn it for free. If you'd like to learn more about it you can PM me, I can tell you where to get the free manual and also suggest someone who can help you with over the phone sessions - she has been a guardian angel to me.

There's all kinds of information on this forum too, look around and you'll learn a lot. None of this anxiety or panic can last forever, it always passes in time, try to think positive and do the best you can. You will get through this. Anxiety can't hurt you and no one has ever died from a panic attack. As bad as the symptoms and fears are, in truth they are harmless.

Good luck and God bless you,

David