PDA

View Full Version : Just starting to calm down.....

ginnungagap
09-01-08, 16:33
First real post about my own experiences, and I hope you'll forgive the banter - but sometimes after having an attack I feel so overwhelmed and/or crackers (?!) that taking over a phone or face to face with friends just isn't an option. Typing is much safer!!

I just got back from shopping in town about an hour ago, after having one of the strongest attacks so far for a few months. I hadn't been feeling particularly anxious about anything, although I was rushing about a bit as town seemed pretty hectic (people everywhere, erk) and I was competing with a gale-force head wind.
Anyway, I'd got most done and headed into the last shop for some householdy bits n bobs. I go there quite often (not sure if I will again for a bit) and was fine until I reached the checkout queue. There were only maybe 4 people in front of me, but I could hear something buzzing above me on the ceiling and I become very aware of the tills beeping and assistants chattering. Suddenly just then the lighting in the store seemed to go all strange and before I knew it, I could barely breathe. I was starting to shake and look around me nervously (sure everyone was looking back and thought I was mad, but you can never quite tell..) and my whole vision sort of "melted" - a bit as if you'd put a watercolour painting out in the rain. I got the whole detachment thing quite suddenly and became so petrified, I had to hobble forward, push someone out of the way, leave my stuff on the till, and I literally RAN out of the place.

So it's been about an hour now just over, I feel mentally and physically wiped out, and really quite the village idiot lol.

Maybe just maybe one day I'll get a handle on myself and stop this from occuring, it really does limit me from doing a lot of stuff because of the fear it happening. They're not always this bad/strong but I'd give this one a good 9/10.

bottleblond
09-01-08, 16:44
Hi there,

I have felt like running many times when i get to the checkout, i think alot of us feel like that from time to time but it's really good that you have calmed down and see the funny side to it now. Well done for managing the shops in the first place hun as i know how daunting they can be.

take care

Lisa
xxx

trac67
09-01-08, 18:33
Hiya,

Try not to let this stop you from going to the same shop again, facing the fear is the best way to deal with the anxiety and panic ( I know i should practice what I preach haha) I stopped going to the places i had panic attacks in and thats when the agoraphobia took me over :mad: Next time you feel an attack coming on try to stand your ground and ride it out, I have found it will get to a certain point and then begin to calm down, I know its the hardest thing to do when your so scared, but the more you stand up to the panic attacks the easier they become to deal with.

Love
Trac xx

Allye
09-01-08, 19:15
I used to have similar experiences in shops (I am probably known locally as the phantom trolley abandoner) as I have rushed out leaving trollies half full etc. My anxiety usually started when there were people ahead of me in a queue (I have similar anxiety with all queues and traffic jams).

You really must go back or else your brain will always associate the shop with a PA and remember (a) it is horrible but it will pass (b) most other people will not even notice.

I also think the shop lighting sometimes does not help. I usually try some sort of distraction (counting things in my basket/trolley etc).

Alisonj
10-01-08, 00:18
I have had to leave more than once. What I do though is go to the car, calm down by putting my head down and deep breathing etc. Then I would return again. If I had to I would leave again but never the parking lot. No matter how hard it was I eventually finished the shopping.
Lots of hugs to you I know it is super scary