PDA

View Full Version : wow , really good tip !!!

mirry
09-01-08, 18:54
Hi every one , today i was watching on sky 3 , a programe called
phobia .

A girl had a phobia of needles so bad that she felt faint and dizzy just being near a needle, and she wants to be a nurse.
So they got a therapist who was a expert in dizziness anxiety , she explained how it happens , she said ..........

People have a phobia that is complicated by dizziness. why this happens is
that the heart speeds up when we are anxious then the body produces a chemical to make the heart slow down , but in some people it works too well and makes the blood pressure drop too quickly ,,, which give you the dizzys .
And she said they call this problem "VASCO VAGIVE" (not sure on spelling?).

Well then she had to help this girl expose herself to needles as part of her therapy , and every time the girl panicked and felt faint
the expert told her, to stop the faint feeling , she needs to tense as many muscles in her body as she can all in one go , so the girl was gripping her hands tight , tensing her legs , stomach and bottom in as many places as she possibly can .....and it made the dizzys go :ohmy: .

she kept saying "TENSE MUSCLES TO STOP THE DIZZYS"

But she didnt explain how it stopped it , which i would of liked to know.

hope this helps ,Im gonna give it a try.
:hugs:

SammiB
09-01-08, 19:08
Wow mirry thanks for sharing.

i am the worst when it comes to the dizzies, i hardly ever get the oanic but mostlly dizzies when i'm anxious so i will try that.xx
x

mirry
10-01-08, 07:49
the correct spelling is ......

vasovagal ,,,,

some people have vasovagal symptoms whilst others will actually faint with it. But I think its so nice to have a name to this horrible symptom we get AND
it is NOT caused by HYPERVENTALATING because that is another condition ,
which explains why so many people on this site complain of getting dizzy despite the fact they make sure they are not hyperventalating.

jacq
10-01-08, 10:36
Thanks for the advice Mirry, i have never heard of this but it explains a lot. My daughter has this problem and it also started when she had her first needle for routine vacinations when she was 4, the nurse said at the time after she fainted that she had worked herself up so much, but she never explained that the ofset of this is as you say that a chemical is produced to slow your heart. This is an ongoing problem as now many things cause her to drop to the floor with no warning eg- needles, seeing blood, a sudden drop or rise in temperature in the shower water, or more commonly if i am brushing her hair and catch a lug, she gasps and drops, but within minutes is up and about as if nothing has happened. She has obviously got a very sensitive vasovagal system. We are used to it now, but some people have looked terrified when it happens in public ( the most memorable occasions being when it happened on the travelator at ikea and we couldn't lie her down so had to carry her leg and a wing style to the bottom and once in our local they had a kids entertainer who was putting fake scars on kids and Rachel slid off her seat while eating, we just checked she was ok and lifted her legs up on the chair.) But she can now usually tell when it is happening and lies down till it passes, but is a relief to find out what it is.

Jacq x

mirry
10-01-08, 10:54
glad it helped jacq, sounds like your daughter has suffered bad with it ,
there is alot of info online about it which may help.:hugs:

Lindalou64
11-01-08, 13:10
I Think Thats Why In Breathing Exercises They Also Have Muscle One Too If We Do These Daily Will Help Alot Ask Michelle ....i Knew Of This Just Need To Practice What I Preach Thanks For Sharing Mirry Wish Ya Well.......linda

pink daisy
12-01-08, 09:54
Hi Mirry

I have been watching the phobia series also.. it's on every week day atm, and after that programme is the paul mkenna one... It's really been making me think about thingsin a positive way x

Richie
15-01-08, 13:26
Hi yeah since ive started doing my own CBT have also used the tensing muscles that i saw mentioned on here as breathing exercises haven't much helped in the past, Tried it yesterday really just as a coping stragety and distraction itenses up my neck muscles and also other parts of body also my hands i made into a fist for a few moments and then let go.
It did actually help a fair bit yesterday.
Richie