PDA

View Full Version : I have a question, please...?

groovygranny
09-01-08, 21:47
Hi everyone,:)

I don't usually post on this forum but wasn't sure where my question/s should go!

Is there a difference between an MRI scan and a CT/CAT scan, and if there is then what is it please?

Also, has anybody been for a CT scan? If so, how does the procedure go, what should one expect and roughly how long does it take?

I should like to find out as much as I can - by Friday afternoon if at all possible!!

Thanking you muchly in advance! :hugs:

:flowers:

Jon06121974
09-01-08, 21:50
hi a CT scan is an xray of the brain and takes about 5 mins and is harmless if not a little surreal.

an MRI takes cross section pictures of the whole body muscles, organs etc etc and is a lot better for identifying problems like MS

well i think this explains it ok

manmoor
09-01-08, 21:56
I 2nd what Jon says perfect discription for GG :hugs: xxx

alexis
10-01-08, 00:11
I agree, my son had both, as a very young child, and again later in life, lots of ct scans to monitor progress,nothing to worry about.

Alisonj
10-01-08, 00:15
Ct scans are a breeze. I havent had an MRI but I know that it takes alot longer and you are much more confined

groovygranny
10-01-08, 09:49
Oh, thank you for the very quick replies!:blush:

This information is most helpful - I have a friend who's had an MRI scan and they said it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be, so that's comforting.

I also had a very lovely pm from someone who's had quite a few CT scans plus MRI's.

Thanks also for all the lovely 'hugs' too! xxx

:hugs: :hugs:

Paddington
10-01-08, 10:38
can only add that mri scans are in a confined space[my daughter has had two]and cat is not..as i have had one..i remeber it was like a big polo mint or is that a different scan:wacko: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxx

ceecee
10-01-08, 19:27
hi gg
hope that you are well!
i had a mri scan at derriford hospital in may of this year.
this is when you go into a kind of tube like a polo mint as Paddington said but i,m sure a cat scan is not a confined area.
hope this helps
big hugs:hugs: :hugs:

Pickle
10-01-08, 19:41
Hi GG

I had both in August last year and everyone is correct when they say an MRI is in a confined space - bit like a toilet roll!! Altho the machine I was in had a mirror on the top which meant when my body was inside it I could still see the Radiographer and it also tricked my brain into thinking I was looking thro a hole. The MRI took about 45 minutes

The CAT scan is inside a large polo and the machine is so thin you can see everything in the room - not confining at all. The CAT scan took about 3 minutes - rather like having xrays.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on

Take care

shoegal
11-01-08, 15:17
Hi GG,

Click this link for a pic of a CT scan:

http://www.radiology-equipment.com/instrumentpics/ACFFA27.jpg

and this one for an MRI:

http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/education/tutorials/magnetacademy/mri/images/mri-scanner.jpg

Hope this helps.

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

groovygranny
12-01-08, 20:55
aaw thanks everyone - all your replies certainly helped us out on Friday:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: thanks to you we were more prepared than we were before!

Shoegal, thanks for the links - but we were in the waiting room waiting to go in when you posted them :ohmy: lol ........ that was exactly like it though!

Once again thanks so much everyone for your help.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: