PDA

View Full Version : advice

Longie
01-03-05, 10:16
i have been axious all my life, but have had gad for about 10 years, been on and off meds. i know what makes me anxious, usually the thought og illness etc. have been on paroxetine for 10 days feel a little better but not great, and have had 3 sessions of counselling, which is draining us financially, should i just except this is me and stay on meds for the rest of my life, or is there another answer? how do you people cope with out meds, i think my anxiety this time was due to stress, i am a stay at home mum with 3 kids, do a little bit of childminding and help 1 day a week in my daughters pre school, so can't ever see my life being stress free
any advice please
love LONGIE

seh1980
01-03-05, 10:22
hi Longie,

That is a very tough question to answer and I don't think that there is a correct answer. Everyone is different. I have been on meds for about 14 months and am almost off them at the moment. I was panic attack free for over a year and I felt one coming on the other night and I feel very anxious again. I'm now thinking that maybe I should have stayed on them for longer or maybe I will need to on them forever. But some people only really need to be on them for a few months to help them get over a rough patch in their lives. It really is a matter of trial and error..

Sarah :D

sal
01-03-05, 10:42
Hi Longie

You are having a hard time at the moment but it doesnt mean it will last forever. If the medication helps you get through it then that is a bonus. It doesnt mean you will be on medication for the rest of your life, as Sarah says some people only need it for a few months to get them through a bad patch in their lifes.

Give them time to start taking effect and see how it goes from there. You have a busy life but you get through this.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

razocaine_07
01-03-05, 12:50
Hi longie, i was on 3 different meds at the same time about 36months ago and was extremely ill. But today the problem has been identified and im off all of them. Back then i thought everyday would be the same and this was what it was going to be like for the rest of my life. Im not denying that its wasnt difficult in patches but im still here and better off for it. Im back in education and yes i still get problems with anxiety but im able to cope with them. Just take things a day at a time. If i can do it where i was bed ridden for 6months+ you can, all you need is determination

nomorepanic
01-03-05, 20:51
Longie

I never wanted to go on meds because of the stigma associated with them but I did go on Dothiepin and Prozac over 7 years ago now.

I stopped them after about a year and a bit cos they didn't help the panic attacks and I personally was worried about long term health effects of being on them so I stopped.

It has been hard work to get where I am today but I wanted to do it alone and that has been my mission.

I was scared that I would get dependant on them and never really know "who I was" cos the drugs would mask the "real me".

Anyway those are just my thoughts on it. They help loads of people and I don't judge people for taking them but I personally never wanted to be dependant on them for all my life.

Not sure that helps much but just my thoughts.

How do I cope? - hard work and determination. A will to live and never give in. Keep fighting. Don't let it win. That is how I do it I guess. Not easy but life never is when you suffer with anxiety.

Nicola