PDA

View Full Version : Beta Blockers - RADAR HELP!

twister
10-11-03, 20:39
I am confused about whether you can drink when you are on these. It says elsewhere on the site that you can't as it is dangerous but on an NHS website I looked at it says it shouldn't be a problem.

quote:Can I drink alcohol while I am taking a beta-blocker ?

Alcohol may slightly reduce the effect of your beta-blocker, but this is unlikely to be a problem.
quote:

Also my doctor has written on the prescription 'take one twice a day' but in the surgery he seemed to be saying that I could take them only when a panic attack comes on and they work within 20 mins. On the NHS website so it says they take a few hours to work! How are they meant to be taken?

Thanks

benoo5
10-11-03, 21:13
emily...which beta blocker have you been prescribed,and what strength are they ?
bryan.

twister
10-11-03, 21:30
propranolol - 40mg

Meg
10-11-03, 22:13
Hi Emily,

Having a glass of wine or so is fine - getting extremely drunk is not.

Betablockers work by blocking adrenaline which causes the rapid heart rate. This will slightly reduce your blood pressure which can cause you to feel a bit giddy - add lots of alcohol .........

Do not take if athmatic.

Initially , its usual to take them regularly and as you start to settle within yourself thenn take it down to 'when you need' but it's not instant and if like you do have quick triggered panics it could be all over by the time it takes effect.

You've been doing so well . Congrats .

How was work today ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
10-11-03, 22:19
hi emily,

as you know,whatever medication you take,its advisable not to drink alcohol at the same time,not necessarily cos its dangerous,but often because it weakens the the ability for the medicine to work.

propronol,as you say is a beta blocker,and has many uses,it lowers the heart rate,helps lower/stabilise blood pressure,is often prescribed for migraine...my ex took it for conjunctivitis.

its quite safe for you to take,and should help with your problems... i understood it lowered the heart rate pretty quickly in tablet form,and i would go by what your doctor says,however by saying take one when you feel a panic coming on,does seem a little strange.

i think taking propronol will help you with your symptoms,but i would have been happier if he/she had said take one/two on a daily basis,rather than spasmodically,as with this medicine it needs to establish itself continually in the bloodstream.

but your doctor knows you better than us...so always take as prescribed by the experts.

best wishes...bryan.

benoo5
10-11-03, 22:25
meg,
ime going to have to learn to type with more than one finger lol...you beat me AGAIN lol
best wishes...bryan.

twister
11-11-03, 10:35
Hi

Thanks for your answers. He's written on the prescription take 1 twice a day but he seemed to insinuate when I was talking to him that I could take it in the same way as Valium - oh well, I 'll see how it goes. OA couple more questions though:

1. I am taking Cipralex as well, is this safe to mix?
2. I used to suffer from mild asthma 10 years ago for a short period but not since then - do you think it will be okay to take in these circumstances?

Being back at work seems to be okay. Everyone is either ignoring it or being nice about it! I have a private referral to the Priory on the 3rd December to see a Dr Veale so I have that to look forward to!

Emily

Meg
12-11-03, 00:36
Well done for being back .

I don't know all the interactions of all meds so you'll have to believe the GP.They are often prescribed in combination with SSRI's so I don't have any specific concerns.

Real asthma is not very fickle and very transient- apart from kids and polluted areas. So perhaps it wasn't a correct formal diagnosis which is done over time and measuring responses to inhalers V peak flows etc.
Often any old wheeze is referred to as asthma..as we tend to understand it better.

Good news re referral . Make a list of questions for him and what you want out of it.You might get quite overwhelmed on the day.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sarap
27-11-03, 18:13
Many thanks Meg and Bryan for sorting out the confusion on the drinking and propranolol. I have just been prescribed it (10mg twice a day) and didn't know if i could have the odd glass of vino blanco in the evening.

Thanks! Sara xx

Meg
27-11-03, 18:31
Go for it - Sara.

You may want to think twice if you're reaching for the corkscrew more than once an evening though...

Well done and many thanks for either having a good mosey through or using the search facility. It does help us enormously not to have to start at the beginning each time .

Meg

Lottie32
28-11-03, 14:12
Well done Emily

Things are looking up, back at work, Priory visit etc!!!

Just thought you might be interested to note my GP also advised taking Propranol when required - not all the time. He said they would take 20 mins to work. And they did!

I think this may have been because I was doing ok, and he didn't want to start me on a regime of drug therapy. Instead, I would wait until whatever was bothering was imminent, decide if I could cope or not, then take a beta blocker to prevent panic from becomming over whelming.

It worked for me, it may not for you. Now I just carry one around with me (40mg).

The last time I took one was when my gran arrested during some tests in hospital and the crash team had to recussitate her. I had half a one whilst we were waiting for the outcome.

I think my doc prescribed them in that way so that I wasn't getting another thing to be dependant on. Also, although I was suffering from panic attacks at the time, I went to see the doctors because I was in a permanent anxious state. Maybe it was different for me because of this?

He also advised that alcohol would affect the tablets, and that you were best to avoid drinking whilst taking them, but that a small quantity would be ok . Example he gave was going to a wedding - have tablet to get there, start to relax, allow yourself a glass of wine with the meal.

Hope this helps - maybe our docs went to same medical school!

Charlie