PDA

View Full Version : Kitten advice - please help!

Dying_Swan
13-01-08, 15:37
Hi all.

Sorry for this random question - it's taking me right into the heights of anxiety.

My two female kittens were spayed 6 days ago. One of them has been fine. The other one seems to be having problems.

The day after the operation (tuesday), I had to rush her into the vets when she became lethargic and shaky. Pain, they said, and gave her an injection.

I told the Vet she'd been licking the stiches a bit and hated the collar. He said that was fine.

On Thursday her wound started oozing a little - bloody stuff, not pus. Friday they saw the Vet for a check. He said they were fine and could go out. So they went out when we got home. Bad idea - more of the wound started oozing.

Saturday it was still oozing more and I called the vet for advice - put the collar on her. She got so upset, she smashed the catflap clean off the door. This is a 6 month old kitten. I phoned the Vet again, feeling like a total idiot. He said it's fine just keep her in and leave the collar on.

It's now Sunday and nearly a week on. She's barely eating, she's barely walking. She shakes and goes ridgid when I touch her - she's normally very affectionate. All she does is collapse on my bed, where I am finding increasing patches of 'ooze'.

I am working a night shift tonight which means I have to leave her all night. And again tomorrow night. I really don't know what to do. I am loathe to call the vet yet again as I'm sure they think I'm a pain in the neck. I'm just so worried about her.

I was thinking of taking her to my gran's tonight so that someone is with her, but I guess moving her will only upset her more.

Should I call the emergency vet? I'll cry on the phone (again).

What do you think? I have about 2 hours :weep:

Thanks folks xxx

jodie
13-01-08, 15:45
:hugs: aww swan

awww the poor lottle thing bless her

if this was me i would call another vet tell then what is goign on get a second opinion . she sounds like she has an infection to me and mabe needs somthing to clear it up poor thing .
and i think it is a good idea for your gran to have her for the night rather then her be alone and i am sure it would make you feel better to huh

jodie :hugs: :hugs:

jodie xxxx

joy
13-01-08, 15:50
Poor puss she does sound it a state. Can you take her to the vets tomorrow afternoon, she may need some anti biotics.when did the vet last see her or has it all been phone advice?sorry just read it was friday she was seen.an emergency vet will cost a fortune and maybe wouldnt see you in the 2 hours.sorry cant be more help

love joy

nomorepanic
13-01-08, 16:31
Swan

You could call the emergency vet for advice but I bet they will suggest you take her in and trust me it is not cheap as we found out. It is about £100 just to be seen on a Sunday!!!

I would take her to grans tonight and try and get an appointment with your vet tomorrow afternoon when you get up.

Hope she will be ok though.

yorkylover
13-01-08, 16:45
I totally agree with nic here,take her to your grans.she may not like it but at least she can be with someone.Get her to the vets first thing tomorrow,it does sound like an infection,and she shouldnt have been able to go out until the stitches were removed.

Your the only one who really knows what your cat is like,and if she is not ok it needs to be sorted.Keep us posted.Im sure she will be ok,probably needs a course of antibiotics.
Big Hugs for you and kittens.:hugs:

Dying_Swan
13-01-08, 17:25
Thank you so much for your replies folks.

I got in a total panic. Eventually called my aunt, and sobbed down the phone. She called the vet and we took her straight in. It was a different vet to the one I've been seeing.

He took one look at her wound and said 'Oh God, yea'.

She has a rip-roaring wound infection, and a high fever :weep:

She's now had an antibiotic injection and an anti-inflammatory. She's eaten some tea and is still upset, but is now playing with an ant so I'm hopeful that she's feeling a bit better :blush:

Vet reckons she'll be fine to be left at home tonight. I am so relieved, and so glad someone finally took me seriously. It kills me to see them suffer.

Right now I am furious with the other vets, who made me feel like a pain in the backside for bothering them and said she was fine :lac:

She has to go back for a checkup tomorrow afternoon but I'm keeping my fingers crossed she'll be ok.

Thanks again guys - your replies mean a lot :hugs::hugs:

xxx :flowers:

jodie
13-01-08, 18:49
awww swan

i am so pleased you went to see another vet i thought it would be infected !
i am sure she will be a good as new soon:hugs:
you call your other vet and give em hell hun

jodie xxx:hugs:

bottleblond
13-01-08, 19:21
OMG Mary,

The poor wee thing!! That first vet you had been talking to needs a bleedin good boot up the bum. If i was you i would complain bitterly. I would have been the same as you, if not worse if it was one of my pets mate.

I hope she is ok

Love Lisa
xxxxx

shoegal
13-01-08, 20:03
Thank goodness you got her to see another vet. Most vets are fantastic but there are always some who make mistakes. My dog went to the vets one Monday because he was off his food and not himself and the vet said he had a wobbly tooth and pulled it out. She said he was fine and was well enough to undergo an anaesthetic and have his teeth cleaned! Well... he was rushed back to the vets on Wednesday and had to be put down on the Thursday due to liver failure! He was dead within 72 hours of me being told there was nothing wrong with him except a wobbly tooth! Grrrrrr. My point is you have to follow your gut instinct. Who cares what anybody else thinks as long as you do what is best for your pet.

I hope your lovely kittens are better soon. :flowers:

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

kazzie
13-01-08, 20:23
Hi Swanny:hugs:

Sorry missed this been away all weekend:blush:

I would have said vets straight away

Hope puss is soon on the mend:yesyes:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

yorkylover
13-01-08, 22:20
Brilliant news that she is being treated for the infection.Hope she is better real soon.xxxxxxxxx:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

alexis
14-01-08, 01:04
So glad you seem to have got things sorted, I would of said vets straight away, its just a pain of the cost etc, sometimes it takes a third party to help as we are so involved with what is happening around, hope things are improving, keep us informed, cats and any animals are like kids, never wanting to ring GP/vet but knowing deep down its needed,trust me... I am an animal lover, especiallly cats and dogs ( got a new kitten,and a 18year old cat,)o and also, (lol) a mother of someone who was always needing treatment at inconvenient times, always refused to ask gp to come out,despite problems we sufferd

Dying_Swan
14-01-08, 01:22
Thanks guys :hugs:

I think you're right - follow your instincts. I just knew she was ill and getting worse. I know it's 'only a cat', but since I am responsible for her, I worry.

I've just popped home on my night shift to see how she is....I had to beg them to let me spend my break driving back home. She seems much better, although the wound was looking nasty - oozing loads more than it has before. I've cleaned it up with saline and I hope it's ok. I'm hoping all the bad stuff is coming out now.

She's just eaten quite a bit and is drinking some water so I guess that's a good sign.

Shoegal I'm so sorry to hear of your dog hun - that must have been dreadful for you.

Thanks again all - better go back to work now!

sarajane
14-01-08, 08:38
Hi all.

Sorry for this random question - it's taking me right into the heights of anxiety.

My two female kittens were spayed 6 days ago. One of them has been fine. The other one seems to be having problems.

The day after the operation (tuesday), I had to rush her into the vets when she became lethargic and shaky. Pain, they said, and gave her an injection.

I told the Vet she'd been licking the stiches a bit and hated the collar. He said that was fine.

On Thursday her wound started oozing a little - bloody stuff, not pus. Friday they saw the Vet for a check. He said they were fine and could go out. So they went out when we got home. Bad idea - more of the wound started oozing.

Saturday it was still oozing more and I called the vet for advice - put the collar on her. She got so upset, she smashed the catflap clean off the door. This is a 6 month old kitten. I phoned the Vet again, feeling like a total idiot. He said it's fine just keep her in and leave the collar on.

It's now Sunday and nearly a week on. She's barely eating, she's barely walking. She shakes and goes ridgid when I touch her - she's normally very affectionate. All she does is collapse on my bed, where I am finding increasing patches of 'ooze'.

I am working a night shift tonight which means I have to leave her all night. And again tomorrow night. I really don't know what to do. I am loathe to call the vet yet again as I'm sure they think I'm a pain in the neck. I'm just so worried about her.

I was thinking of taking her to my gran's tonight so that someone is with her, but I guess moving her will only upset her more.

Should I call the emergency vet? I'll cry on the phone (again).

What do you think? I have about 2 hours :weep:

Thanks folks xxx

You need to go to another Vet. This is not normal.

sarajane
14-01-08, 08:40
You need to go to another vet. This is not normal. I love cats and have 3 lovely boys. Just call another vet. Soon. Good luck

Dying_Swan
14-01-08, 10:43
Blimey. This is turning into a nightmare.

As I left the house to go back to work last night, I thought I'd better have a look at Mable's wound site (the other cat). Joy of joys - after looking fine and healed all week, that too had started oozing and bleeding. So I now have 2 kittens with infected spay sites.

I'm starting to wonder if I've done something wrong :shrug::weep:

I took them both to the Vet this morning. Mable seems fine apart from her wound. She had antibiotic and painkiller injection.

Molly's turn (the sickly one). He didn't take her temperature, just gave her more jabs. I don't know what happened but I think he didn't get one in, so he gave it again. She went berserk. I've never seen her like that - she was hissing and yowling, even when back in her basket :weep:

At this point I lost the plot. I asked him why the hell my cat was reacting like that. He said she was protesting. I asked him what if the wounds burst open - he said they shouldn't but might. I asked if they'd be ok - would they die? 'Very unlikely but they could'. Will they be ok if I leave them to go to work tonight? 'They should be but I can't promise it' etc etc etc

No straight answers. I rephrased - if it was your cat would you leave her and go to work. He said yes, definitely.

So looking like a complete idiot, I emerge bawling into the waiting room where the receptionist gave me a hug. I have told them I don't want to see that Vet anymore.

We have another appointment tomorrow at their other surgery. I just hope they will be ok :weep:

kazzie
14-01-08, 13:31
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Swanny

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

Lindalou64
14-01-08, 13:41
HEY SPARKY SORRY TO HEAR YA GOING THRU THIS WITH YA KITTENS.....I HOPE THEY BOTH RECOVER HUN,IM SURE THEY WILL.........LOVE YA...........LINDA XOXO

dawny
14-01-08, 14:13
swan, i hope the kitten is better today....xxxxx

love dawny xxxxx

yorkylover
14-01-08, 15:12
Your doing the right thing seeing another vet sweety,needs to be sorted out.
Hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

GemmaAnn
14-01-08, 15:23
Hey, I did some work experience in a vets over the summer. I know that doesnt make me qualified or anything, but I did witness quite a few spayings.

This is totaly not normal and the 1st thing you need to do is not only see a different vet, but go to a different surgery all together!

The fact that both your cats have infected wounds from the surgery suggests to me that far from you doing something wrong, the vets either havent steralised their equipment properly or havent washed themselves before the surgery properly. If this is the case you definatly dont want to be going back there.
Another possibility is that the infection could have passed from one cat to another.

The vet should have been taking the temperature to check on the infection and not just giving out more injections. In my opinion any vet that just doles out injections like this is looking to turn a fast profit because those antibiotics dont come cheap! In the surgery where I worked all animals were given antibiotic shots to last up to 2 weeks after the surgery included in the price so this didnt happen!

Keep the wound clean, and see the other vet. Make sure both are eating, drinking and looking lively and they should be ok, but I wouldnt recommend going back to the same surgery!!

Of course im not an expert ... just my opinion!

xx

Dying_Swan
14-01-08, 17:18
Thank you so much GemmaAnn, and all others who've replied.

It's really helpful to hear your opinion since you've seen some of these :hugs:

They are both eating....not much. But I think partly that's because it's hard for them to eat with the collars on.

I am thinking of talking to the practice manager about the care (or lack of it) that they have received. Firstly I just want to get them better.

I'm off to work soon - another long night of worry *sighs*

Thanks all xxx

Dying_Swan
14-01-08, 18:48
Quick update!

They both just ate masses of tuna and even chased a ball about :yesyes:

I'm hoping this is a good sign - I could do without any more bad ones!

My aunt is going to pop in about 11pm tonight to check on them.

Thanks all xxx

anxious
14-01-08, 20:56
Awwww hope they continue to improve, once animals feel better they generally come on in leaps and bounds:) .
I have to admit i had a bad experience when my kitten was spayed (pulled stiches out & ended up sleeping in the lounge with her to stop her doing herself anymore damage for a few nights!) - so i've always had toms since!
love anx xx

Dying_Swan
15-01-08, 21:51
Well well well.

I have reached new peaks of stress. No sleep, poorly cats, and just to add insult to injury, I have a job interview tomorrow which I haven't prepared for. It doesn't rain but it pours 'eh?

Anyway - catties went to the vet again this morning. We saw a different one at a different surgery. They are the same practice but have 3 surgeries. As we got there, a lady stormed out with her cat - furious. She said the vet was awful and she was very upset, slammed the door!

Well, I thought the vet was excellent :blush: She was horrified when she saw their wounds, and realised how little care they'd had. She was also very shocked that I'd had totally incorrect advice in looking after them.

Both of them have open, infected wounds. Molly's is worse - she's the one who's been really poorly.

The Vet cleaned the wounds and had a really good look. She said that her primary concern is the infection, so she doesn't want to re-stitch them at the moment as that would seal the infection inside.

They both have to have a week of oral antibiotics, and I've got special soap to clean the wounds with. If they are no better in 2 days, they have to go back. They have to be separated when I'm out or sleeping, and they have bigger collars to stop them licking each other's wounds.

She apologised to me profusely. I think she was really shocked.

As I went to leave, the practice manager called me in and asked what had been going on with the other vet. I told her everything, and she has asked me to put it in writing. I said I don't want to complain but I'm really very upset that my cats have been allowed to get this ill. She was very understanding.

I have a letter to write....

xxx

kazzie
15-01-08, 22:19
Swanny:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You must write the letter.....the vet sounds like a t**t to me!!!!

Im sure they will both be fine soon:yesyes:

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

Dying_Swan
17-01-08, 13:27
Thanks Kazzie.

Letter almost complete now. This thread has helped me write it!

Cats went back to the vet this morning for a check up. We are currently seeing an excellent locum, since I have refused to see the other one ever again.

She said both wounds are starting to heal :yesyes: at last!

We are not out of the woods yet. She thinks it will take at least 3 weeks for them to heal properly, and she thinks they will need more than a week's antibiotics. They now have to have boiled rice and Probiotics in their food because of the damage from Antibiotics. If Molly's gut gets any worse, she'll need daily antibiotic injections. I might be able to do them at home though, if it comes to it.

So I am still pumping tablets into them and disinfecting the wounds several times a day, which obviously they hate.

Apparently Mable's wound site was never shaved properly, and she thinks that's why her wound got infected. Ain't it great? :lac:

On Monday they will be reviewed (unless anything bad happens in the meantime, and I hope not). If the wounds are no longer infected, she might re-suture them. We'll see.

Here they are - I won't post wound photos!

Mable

Molly

xxx

Lilith1980
17-01-08, 13:35
Aww they are soo cute!! Glad to hear things are improving hun :D

pips
18-01-08, 11:11
Hi Swan,

Just wanted to say sorry you have been going through a rough time and I do hope those precious kitties wounds heel up soon. Glad you wrote that letter http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_11.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZCxdm594YYGB)
Your fur babies are so cute. Give them hugs from me.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_23.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZCxdm594YYGB)

and http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/ksriver80/h/05.gif to you to.

Take Care,

Love & Wishes,

Pip's X X X X

yorkylover
18-01-08, 13:33
Swanny they are so cute,hope they get better real soon.:hugs: :hugs:

Dying_Swan
18-01-08, 13:52
Thanks Pips and Ellen.

I really appreciate everyone's support through this. I know they're 'only cats' and it makes me feel a bit daft, but I love them to bits!

Thanks again,

kazzie
18-01-08, 15:57
Awwww Swanny:hugs:

So cute:hugs:

How are they diddling now????

Dying_Swan
18-01-08, 16:11
Hey Kaz :hugs:

They are ok - wounds still looking horrid but I'm keeping them clean and as dry as possible. It's kinda hard when they start to heal and then they go berserk and leap all over the place wanting a game, but they are kittens, and if they want to leap about, I take it as a sign they aren't feeling too bad :)

Thanks hun, hope you're well xxxxx :flowers:

sophieunderscore
18-01-08, 17:03
Aww I'm so glad they're getting better!

I've had a kitten called Mable (who sadly died :weep:) and now have a kitten called Molly, good choice of names :yesyes:

Dying_Swan
18-01-08, 17:11
Awww Sophie how weird!

They were going to be Pookie and Puffles, but the looks I got when I told people made me think twice. Then it was Tabitha and Jemima. Then Molly and Lizzie. And finally, when I got them, I settled on Molly and Mable.

Great minds think alike!

JulieAs45
18-01-08, 18:06
Ok I'm not a cat lover me, but even I have to admit Molly and Mable are very cute! :mad:

Glad they doing better hun, I know how much they mean to you and you are doing a fantastic job looking after them.

Now if we could just sort out all your other dramas life would be sweet :winks:

By they way, you should of called them Pea n Carrot thought that would be obvious then we could have changed our names to Pookie and Puffles!! :winks:

PEA xxxxxxx

Dying_Swan
18-01-08, 18:14
Rofl CARROT.

I'm glad you like them. Yes, sorting out the other drama's would be good. I'm going numb with them now - I just don't care anymore!

I might give them nicknames of PEA and CARROT....

Cheers matey,

PEA xxxxxxxx

JulieAs45
18-01-08, 18:29
Can I be Puffles? :)

If you need help with sorting stuff in your head just give me a shout and I will probably just make a joke of it and we will laugh our heads off and then we can get back to talking about important stuff like Llamas and veg ok?! :winks:

Seriously tho you know where I am if you need a chat and a hug :hugs:

PEA
(do you like what I did there?)

Dying_Swan
18-01-08, 18:41
I do love what you did.

Only question is....have you suddenly become PEA? I thought you were CARROT?

Yes - you can be Puffles. I prefer Pookie.

Thanks for your reply Puffles - looking forward to llamas and veg :yesyes:

JulieAs45
18-01-08, 18:48
See you think you have troubles, I have actually flipped I don't know who I am anymore :shrug: :wacko:

If anyone out there knows who I am please get in touch :huh:

Dying_Swan
18-01-08, 18:58
It seems as though getting your foot caught in the printer, followed by falling into a rabbit hole, has done more damage than you feared.

I hope the Doctor is still on the kitchen floor ready to help you :winks:

xxx

JulieAs45
18-01-08, 19:07
Ok now everyone thinks I'm mad so thanx for that :roflmao:

yorkylover
24-01-08, 15:26
Hows the kittens getting on,are the wounds better now?:hugs:

Dying_Swan
24-01-08, 22:16
Hey Ellen :hugs:

They are doing really good thanks :yesyes: They are still on antibiotics and wound cleansing twice a day, but I'm hoping that will stop soon. It's not much fun trying to get tablets into cats at 6am, but as long as they get better I can manage!

We saw the Vet on Monday and she was pleased with their progress. She told me when she first saw them, she feared Molly could die :ohmy: She keeps on apologising to me for the other Vet, but of course it isn't her fault. I'm just so relieved they made it through.

We're going to the Vet again in the morning for a check up and to see if they will need more antibiotics. They seem really well though and the wounds are looking much, much better :yesyes:

Thanks hun,

kazzie
24-01-08, 22:23
Lovely news Swanny:hugs:

Awwwww give them both a cuddle from me:hugs:

yorkylover
24-01-08, 23:02
Thats brilliant news,Im so pleased.:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Dying_Swan
25-01-08, 11:46
Happy Happy Happy!

Went to the Vet this morning - she was so pleased with them :D so now they can finally have those stupid collars off!

It's been two weeks now - and they are sooooo pleased :yesyes:

Have to continue with antibiotics until Monday, and then they can stop and they will be able to go outside again at last

:yesyes::yesyes::yesyes:

kazzie
25-01-08, 15:38
Brill:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Luv Kaz x x x:hugs:

yorkylover
25-01-08, 16:41
Thats great news:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: Im well pleased:yesyes: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
http://www.ace-clipart.com/clipart/cat_clipart/ancatwk.gif

pips
25-01-08, 20:45
That's Great News,:yesyes:

Hugs :hugs: to puss cats from me,http://www.myspace-customizer.com/layouts/funny-3d-animals/150/Funny-3D-Cat.jpg

Love & Wishes Pip's X X X X