PDA

View Full Version : How many successes?

MessedUp
14-01-08, 14:28
Could any admin please give us any sort of approximate idea of how many successes there have been here? It would be really reassuring if a good percentage of newcomers seem to make good progress and then stop coming here.
Sometimes it's hard to see beyond the familiar names who have made 1000s of postings and never seem to quite get better 100%. It would be nice to think they are just a minority who haven't made enough progress to let go.
This isn't meant to be a slight to anyone - on a site like this there will always be a certain percentage of those who make it and those who take more time for whatever reason.
Ideally we'd all be here a short while and then move on (but God Bless those who stick around to encourage others).
I'm just looking for happy thoughts like "70% get better and don't come back" or something :yesyes:
- and not bad news like "Sorry, I reckon only 20% make it, and most of the rest hang about a bit then get fed up here" :D
You'd have to have been here a while to get some sort of idea... I'd be interested to hear how long-serving members see it.
By PM if it's not so good, perhaps!!
Many Thanks

kazzie
14-01-08, 14:48
Hi There:D

Im not an admin but have been around nearly 2 years now:D

A lot of people seem to recover quite fast and dissapear for good

Theres a few who recover and just pop back now and then

I think everyone who comes here makes progress, some sooner than others

Then there are people myself included who are recovered but stick around to help others and because they have made many lovely friends here:yesyes:

Hope this helps

Kaz x x x

jo61
14-01-08, 16:28
I agree with Kazzie. Sometimes when people have recovered they give something back. I'm pretty much recovered now but like to come on here, most days, to see how others are an occasionally I need support if I have some sort of a blip which can be expected indefinitely I reckon.

MessedUp
14-01-08, 18:48
Thanks for those rays of hope.. most appreciated. Any more from anyone else.. would be welcomed too.. just to make it even more convincing :)

Obviously people feel they're making a difference here, otherwise the site would dwindle and fade away. I suppose I'm wondering how much the perceived success is down to an endless stream of satisfied customers rather than being about continued support for a core group of longterm sufferers.

domino
14-01-08, 19:11
Hi i,m not admin either but i have still away to go, but even if i was "cured" i,d still keep in touch, n.m.p. has helped me sooo much, i feel that i was lettting them down if i were to ever leave, and i,m learning alot about other members conditions , it good for me to "tune" in to n.m.p. xx:yesyes:

domino
14-01-08, 19:13
Hi meesedup, i do,nt think of myself as a "customer" more of a contributor.

Pink Panic
14-01-08, 19:46
Hi

I would imagine that it's pretty hard for Admin to give any figures for successes as people seem to come and go and don't always give the reason for their departure ..... it may well be that they are cured but it might also be they got fed up or even that their PC or internet access is down.

If you are looking for happy thoughts then look no further than the post by Honeybee3939, she's a success story! I know Andrea won't mind me saying that she went through some really bad times and now she's moving on with her life in ways she maybe at one time never thought possible.
I personally find threads like Andrea's give me the inspiration that i too can get better and that is more help to me than percentages!
There are many other stories in the success thread of people moving on with their lives which also inspire.

Also i'm not being confrotational but i don't like the use of the word "customers" either! Like domino i prefer to be called a contributor.

Regards,
Pink

groovygranny
15-01-08, 09:18
Hi MU,

Hm, personally I have come to realise that being 'recovered' may be more of a perception than a solid fact.

I joined NMP nearly 18 months ago having been off work for 6mnths and back for four. I'd 'lurked' around a bit as a guest before joining, and I remember how relieved I felt to know I wasn't alone in what had just happened to me. And I thought I was pretty much recovered - and cured.....until I had a massive panic attack completely out of the blue one day, followed by periods (albeit short ones) of anxiety and what we 'affectionately' call here 'little blips'!

I don't think you can put a percentage on what is perceived to be recovery. I am content in the knowledge that I can now cope with what this 'condition', 'illness' 'problem' call it what you will, can throw at me.

To some I may appear fully recovered - to others I may appear partially recovered and to others it may appear as though I've a long way to go.
Some decide to take a break from NMP for a short while, others stay away permanently as they feel perhaps reading about anx/panic/depression makes their own issues worse.......and others like Kazzie and Andrea (Honeybee3939) will stick around to help out as long as it takes! :hugs:

To me being recoverd isn't the absence of anxiety/panic/depression, it is how I live my life with me being in control - not it. And it's largely thanks to this site that I have come to that conclusion.

I dont think it would be technically possible either to determine by percentage how many here 'fall' into the category of recovered or otherwise - you'd have to speak to Nic or Alex about that one!

Hope this helps a bit :blush: !

Take care

:hugs:

MessedUp
15-01-08, 11:09
ta GG, all entirely reasonable... I know absolute figures are impossible, I was just asking for personal perceptions.. opinions, that's all.

btw "satisfied customers" was just a phrase (cliche) ... but I suppose we still 'consume' the information and help on this website, whether we pay for it or not. :)

thanks all.