PDA

View Full Version : New Member

pothole
02-03-05, 19:21
My name is Tony I am 50 years old living in England.
I suppose I have always been a bit anxious all my life but in your early years it does not seem to matter as much. I remember my first panic attack as if it was yesterday yet it happened in 1986. I have always been a close family man and was shopping in town with my wife and 2 children aged 2 and 4 at the time. They were in a shoe shop and I just went next door to buy something for the car, on my return my family had disappeared and I could not find them, that when the attack started I could not breathe, felt dizzy could not focus, managed to get back to the car and drove home where I collapsed on the settee. My family got the bus home, I went work the next day, but had to come home. After a visit to the Doctors he prescribed small tablets for my ears saying it was my balance, but I was so nervous and anxious that he finally prescribed the antidepressant drug Seroxat and gave me a sick note. I was off work for three weeks and could not go out of the house only into the garden, I felt awful , I felt my world had come to an end, one night I remember it so vividly I wanted to kill myself, it was only the thought of my young family that stopped me. I took the drugs, programed my mind with Norman Peales "The Power Of Positive Thinking" and things got better, I returned to work, and got through it.
But after that time I have always been anxious of social gatherings, I cannot stand to be in a place with lots of people I just need to get out, I often felt like passing out, especially when we have meetings at work.

I had to go to the Doctors again last year as I felt the depression returning but after the scare with Seroxat he perscribed me Sertraline but the side effects where too bad for me that I had to stop taking them after only 4 days the cure was worse than the problem, so I carried on crying and getting upset at the slightest thing, but as the nights got longer and the days warmer it was better, until the winter came and my wife who had suffered in silence, for fear of saying the wrong thing, finally after a night out exploded and brought home to me what I had put her through the last year, I was so upset and ashamed that I decided to take the Sertraline but only half the dose breaking the tablet in half, the side effects are not as bad and my life and my wifes life is better now..

My only problem now and the reason I came to this site is my anxiety and panic, I read the fiirst part and recognised all the signs. My main problem is my family and has always been for years now For example if my wife says she will be home at 5.00pm and its now 5.05pm I will start to worry and then the what ifs start, then the panic sets in then the feeling of sickness and trembling then the not knowing what to do, then the imagining, and when I hear the key in the lock the relief but also the anger as why she did not call to say she would be late. Its the same with my kids I just worry, I know its all in the head but it effects me so physically as well. It seems they have a pill for depression, but nothing to stop the worry and anxiety in my head.

I shall now take the time to read the advice on this site, and thanks for taking the time to listen.

pothole

FAN
02-03-05, 19:32
hi tony, welcome to the forum im sure you will find it really helpful

fan x

seh1980
02-03-05, 19:33
Welcome aboard!! :D

nomorepanic
02-03-05, 19:40
Hi Tony

Welcome aboard the forum - good to see you here and thanks for a comprehensive post.

If it is the thoughts that are making you worried then you could try this post for starters ...

Thoughts : Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283)

It is hard to stop worrying about things and I bet it is annoying when you then start to worry but in time when you feel better in yourself it will ease.

Stick around and we will help all we can.

Nicola

Karen
02-03-05, 21:38
Hi Tony

Welcome to the forum. You'll get some good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

sal
02-03-05, 23:19
Hi Tony

Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing how you feel.

Sorry to hear you have had it so hard. Pleased that the meds are helping you. As you will know some can tolerate them and some cant.

Ive had meds where the side effects were worst than the problem but trial and error paid of for me.

We will always be here to listen to you and help you. Plus you will see how many off us have been through it like you.

Take care.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

bubbles
03-03-05, 00:43
Tony,

Welcome to the site.
Sorry to hear about the bad time you've been having.

My first panic attack happened later rather than earlier in life too (am also in my 50's)--though looking back I can now see that I suffered with anxiety to some degree all my life.
I take Sertraline & also suffered side-effects which felt worse than the condition for a while. They do take longer than 4 days to settle---as I'm sure you now know.
They did work for me though I appreciate everyone reacts differently to these things.

Hope the meds help you too in time. There's lots of help & support on here & people here understand.

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

lainey
03-03-05, 09:41
Hi Tony

Welcome to the site, you'll get loads of help and support here as I have.
This site has been a godsend to me a nd because of it I can honestly say I am 95% better..

Take care

Elaine x

jill
03-03-05, 13:26
Hi Tony

Welcome to the site,
I too am alot better since finding this site[^]
There are lots of nice people here who
will help and support you.

TAKE CARE LOVE JILLXX

In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can.

Tracy68
03-03-05, 15:35
Hi Tony
A warm welcome to you. I'm sure you will find plenty of help and support from everyone on here who at some time or another been through and some still are going through what you are. Much easier when you know you are not alone with this.
Take care
Tracy
x

maxine
03-03-05, 19:39
Hi Tony,
Welcome to the site.:D:D:D

Take care
Maxine

jo-jo
06-03-05, 21:10
Hi Tony

A warm welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find lots of good advice and support here to help you on the road to recovery from your anxiety.

Best wishes
Jo xx

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"