PDA

View Full Version : Hi new member

tjmartin1978
03-03-05, 12:02
Hi there

My name is Tim. I have come across this forum in the hope some question I have may be answered as well as getting some support from people with similar situations/condition.

About 3 years ago my grandmother passed away who I was very close to. Then a year later my grandfather passed away. A year and a half after that my other grandmother passed away from parkinsons disease after seeing her get progressivly worse. Then a couple of weeks ago my partners grandmother passed away. So all in all I have experienced 4 deaths in 3 years..

Initially My reaction was panic and I lived my life with a de-personalisation feeling for over a year. Then I developed OCD which I had as a kid but which had gone for 20 years until recently ! I had to touch things 3 or four times to stop bad things happening to me - this then developed into mental rituals such as drawing patterns in my mind and repeating them..

OCD has been about a year now and recently I just got so tired mentally and fed up that one day I said to myself that I dont care anymore and decided not to do it anymore.. Great ey !! however getting rid of this has caused other symptoms - cant win ey !!!

I had a panic attack a week ago. I dont have a history of these, however an advert triggered it and I worried that I would have an epileptic fit. I was in a car at the time. It was a dreadful feeling and I was sure I was going to have one. My body tensed up and I had a funny feeling in my head. suffice to say I never had a fit but since that day I have what I can only describe as "wavy" feelings in my head on and off.. One half of me is worried that making my self believe I would have a fit has caused something to get wired wrong in my mind and this feeling will never go away. The other half of me from experience with OCD tells me that it is fear that is feeding this feeling...

Can anyone relate to having wavy feelings in there head ? is it the result of my panic attack..

I was so happy I had finally made progress with my OCD and then something else comes along....

Look forward talking to some of you

Regards

Tim

sal
03-03-05, 12:43
Hi Tim

Weclome to the site. You have had a lot to cope with other years and recently seemed that you have challenged your ocd and made some progress. Having a panic attack can leave you feeling how you described. It is normal to feel like that afterwards.

I am sure on here you will get lots of advice and great support to overcome the panic attacks.

Take care.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

tjmartin1978
03-03-05, 12:53
Hi Sal

Thanks. Its nice to know that Im not alone with all this..

Just having trouble concentrating since the panic attack as all i think about is when the next wavy feeling will come. they come every minute or so, been like that for a week now.. and its only in my head, not the rest of my body

It doesnt happen when i am occupied with something but its hard to take my mind away from it.. It also causes me headaches...

kind regards

Tim

sal
03-03-05, 13:03
Hi Tim

When your occupied it doesnt happen, which is completely what happens when we are busy. But its a soon as we stop that those thoughts and feelings come back and you find it hard to concentrate on anything else but how you feel. That alone will cause a headache.

It does take time to learn to turn your thoughts around and know how to preoccupy yourself. When i first started suffering i became obssessed with how i felt and what thoughts i was having. But thinking is a thought not an action.

When i had really bad times i made myself calm down and start reading a book something that i could get into and drift away from it all.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

jill
03-03-05, 13:20
Hi Tim

Welcome to the site
Sorry to hear about your losses.
You have done sooo well in dealing with your other problems well done.
The feeling you are getting now is all part of PA, anxiaty, even though I am alot better now I still get this symptom from time to time. I know that it will not harm me so it dose not last for long.
With alot of hard work support and time you too CAN learn how to change your thoughts.
You have come to the right place, there are lots of nice people here who will help and support you.
Always remember you are not alone.

TAKE CARE LOVE JILLXX

"Every thought you think changes your biochemistry.
Your hormones are effected by your thoughts.
Pay attention to stuff that bring you joy.
Look for thing that bring you a smile!"

tjmartin1978
03-03-05, 13:28
i know

Its just frustrating that i get rid of one thing and another rears its ugly head..

perhaps its the last stage in a long journey of different side effects from dealing with death over the last 3 years.. Thats what I am telling myself anyhow..

thanks for your thoughts. Its a hard feeling to describe I am having. Its like my mind is re-inacting the feeling in my mind when I thought I would have an epileptic fit. I just worry that if its possible to make the mind beleive you will have a fit you will make yourself have one. That is what my fear is feeding off, and I worry that i have done irreversable damage to myself.. However, I am making progress in that I accept the feelings now instead of fighting them as that makes it worse, and I know my fear is irrational..

I will let you know how I get on..

Kind regards

Tim

tjmartin1978
03-03-05, 14:31
Hi Jill

thanks for your words. Are you saying you also have experienced the wavy feelings in your head, its not a pain but a sensation.. wish i could describe it better but ive never had it before...

Tim

Meg
03-03-05, 14:37
Hi Tim,

Firstly well done for coping with your OCD and making progress there.

Also really well done for identifying the trigger of the panic attack... Would you agree and accept that it is ' thought asociations' that were at the root of this ?

Epilepsy seems to be the innthing to worry about - we have soemone else too as well as someone whos wife has just been diagnosed and the onset was completely different to either of these worries.

The wavy feelings are the result of anxiety and yes you're right it is fear feeding this. You can not by thought alone rewire your head .

Thoughts : Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283)
More thoughts : Mind Games (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1789)
First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Tracy68
03-03-05, 15:27
Hi Tim
Just want to say welcome to the site. As you can see you will certainly get plenty of help and support from people on here.
Take care
Tracy
x

sal
03-03-05, 16:15
Hi Tim

However much you think it it wont happen. Its a thought, you could think you will win the lottery on Saturday night, but in reality thinking it wont make it happen.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

FAN
03-03-05, 17:07
hi welcome to the forum in sure you will find being here really helpful

fan x

Karen
03-03-05, 18:40
Hi Tim

Welcome to the forum.

You'll get a lot of help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

maxine
03-03-05, 19:36
Hi Tim,
Welcome to the site.:D

I just wanted to say that first of all that wavy feeling you get sounds very much like a panic attack which wont cause fits.
You can get something by thinking about it.

You have done really well to overcome your ocd, chances are you developed it in response to all the death that you experianced at the time, people deal with death in very diffrent ways.

You'll get there in the end, you already have overcome ocd the panic attacks will go to with practise.

Good luck.:D

Take care
Maxine

nomorepanic
03-03-05, 19:49
Tim

Welcome aboard the forum and I hope we can be of some help to you on here.

Nicola

sal
03-03-05, 22:14
Hi Tim

Hope you are doing okay.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

lainey
03-03-05, 22:19
Hi Tim

Welcome to the site

Take care

Elaine x

tjmartin1978
03-03-05, 22:36
Hi All

thanks for all the support. having trouble concentrating thisevening, even when watching the tv.. mind always focuses on this wavy feeling.. Bought myself an audiobook to try and keep my mind occupied and also a few books....

Tim

jill
03-03-05, 22:39
Yes Tim, I know it is hard to explain, but you have explained it well.
No pain. Most of the time it would be in my head, but a couple of times
it went right through my body. They way I explaind it was like some one had unjected me with something and I could feel it going through my body. It is strange Tim and very scary but the more you fear a symptom the longer it last.
I know it hard Tim but try not to fear this symptom it will not harm
you.

TAKE CARE LOVE JILLXXX

Believe it is possible to slove your problem.
Tremendous things happen to the believer.
So believe the answer will come. IT WILL.

tjmartin1978
04-03-05, 12:55
It seems to be constant waves throughout the day
I thought panic attacks came and went at the most an hour or so

This hasnt gone yet after a week

I know, am impatient and getting into a mess about the whole thing

sal
04-03-05, 13:06
Hi Tim

I know it seems like it is lasting forever but a week isnt long and you will get there hon.

Focus on how you felt before and how you will feel again. Maybe easier said than done but it does get easier and these feelings will pass.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

lisarose
06-03-05, 14:27
Hi Tim

Welcome to the forum, you will find it very helpful and get lots of support.

Take care
Love Lisa

jo-jo
06-03-05, 21:03
Hi Tim

A big welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find everyone here very understanding and supportive.

Best wishes
Jo xx

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"