PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations

uryjm
10-11-03, 21:27
Anyone experienced heart palpitations? I have. I'm not sure if they are connected to anxiety/panic attacks (although they can bring them on, for sure!)I went to the doctor and discovered eventually I was drinking far too much coffee. I cut back and they disappeared, but they do return every now and again. They're harmless, I'm told. They just don't feel that way!

Jim

Meg
10-11-03, 22:19
Caffiene is a powerful stimulant and thus 'excited' your heart into beating faster.

Something is occassionally still stimulating your nervous system into telling your heart to beat faster... (Excuse the gender bias here but it is more prevelant)- but most men know this is easily done - just from thoughts or images...
so if that's possible it's also possible from thoughts that scare you too....

The palpitaions bit is no big deal . It's like revving a car from 0- 60 in 000.8 secs. It will sometimes miss a few beats or overreact. Most panic attacks have a few palpitions added in at some point.

Stop the thoughts - stop the panics.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sarah
11-11-03, 01:43
hiya jim
yes i used to get palpitations where i felt my heart was 'glugging' almost like it would feel if you pour water out of a bottle too fast.(not sure that makes sense but it does to me). it seemed like it was missing beats. it used to scare the hell out of me and would do it even if i wasnt consiously feeling anxious. Thankfully its stopped now, i think i got used to it (maybe) and stopped worrying about it so much i guess.
hope this helps
Sarah

sadie
21-11-03, 19:40
Hi Jim,

I too suffer palpatations and it scares me too. I dont get them as much as I used to unless I am really stressed and worrying about something. I have had my heart check 3 times now and I know that i have got to now listen to the doctors who tell me that my heart is healthy and the symptoms i feel are due to anxiety. I still find this difficult to do but when i feel i'm getting panicky I just try and stop my chain of thought and do some deep breathing and this helps a lot. Try and not worry to much about it, palpatations are not harmful and will eventually stop. Afterall, think of the number of people that suffer anxiety and panic attacks and are still here to tell their story!!

Don't worry.

sadie

florence
23-11-03, 18:10
Hi all,
I do also have palpitations due to anxiety and many other symptoms.
I cannot drink caffeine in any form (coffee, tea, coca-cola,etc)or I end up fearful and panicky.
Take care.
Florence.xxx

lizzie rids
14-05-09, 17:21
I am suffering from palpitations so bad they wake me on a morning its so awful sometimes i feel like I am going mad

Louize
17-05-09, 22:26
suffer from heart palpitations - not had heart checked, just blood pressure, although ive been to the doctors and told her this was happening - apparently its all symptoms of panic attacks and anxiety, i still get them, and sometimes i'll feel like my hearts going to have a massive hard beat and then... nothing. So it is probably just the panic attacks. I also have panic attacks AFTER the palpitations because im then on edge and really scared about the palpitations.

alunthebont
22-11-09, 21:07
Hi.
If these few words are of help to someone who suffers from palpitations,then read on.You should get yourself checked out, that is a must.Listen to the Doctor and to what he has to say.if his findings are fine then "GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE".I am 59 years old and have had palpitations for 30 odd years,but like a lot of people would not listen to the Doctors(a lot of them).I have driven my wife nuts, and thank god she is still with me.Learn to relax and switch off.The times i have sat in some corner somewhere counting my heartbeats with two fingers on my wrists like some Doctor or something.You are not on your own, there are millions of us out there, all counting our heartbeats in private.Perhaps the most sad thing about this whole thing of mine is,it even stopped me making love to my wife incase i had an heart attack.Like i said THANK GOD SHE IS STILL WITH ME.

looking4answers
22-11-09, 21:28
Hi.
If these few words are of help to someone who suffers from palpitations,then read on.You should get yourself checked out, that is a must.Listen to the Doctor and to what he has to say.if his findings are fine then "GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE".I am 59 years old and have had palpitations for 30 odd years,but like a lot of people would not listen to the Doctors(a lot of them).I have driven my wife nuts, and thank god she is still with me.Learn to relax and switch off.The times i have sat in some corner somewhere counting my heartbeats with two fingers on my wrists like some Doctor or something.You are not on your own, there are millions of us out there, all counting our heartbeats in private.Perhaps the most sad thing about this whole thing of mine is,it even stopped me making love to my wife incase i had an heart attack.Like i said THANK GOD SHE IS STILL WITH ME.

Wow.. and thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow.. I mean im speechless.. I haven't been so bad lately with that but for the last few days I have had a little gas just up next to my heart where it skips a beat about every 30 beats or so.. But your post made me think....Its funny right now I have been put back on my lower beta blocker and my heart rate is just a tad higher but slows to normal .My wife told the doctor after she scared me to death and couldn't even function that way that I do not have high blood pressure and that she wanted my meds back to normal and she would check my bp

To date she was right my bp is just barely over normal ,not even in a place where most would be concerned about. When im relaxing its especially low and she was right , and the doctor was wrong. The doctor has done an ekg on me and said it was perfect and she has listened and listened and checked and checked for anything out of the ordinary .. and hasn't found anything although still the missed beats still give me a chill a bit.. I had to chuckle at what you posted.

I have probably about driven my wife insane asking all day long if she thinks this is wrong or that is wrong and she is still with me too.. Since the doctor scare we haven't made love either but I don't think she will leave .. She says sometimes when we get in a heated argument that If I leave she wants to know where we are going so she can pack. lol..Im not going anywhere without her.. so thats out of the question.

But very much like you .. im 55 and have had the palpitations for over 30 years and made me worry so much but after I think about it.. My life style over the last 30 years has been pretty healthy and vigorous in physical activity .. and I have eaten right. We don't eat salt except for what is natural in foods..We don't eat salty foods , no sugars or very little , we broil everything and eat plenty of nuts fruits and veggies.. We do smoke thats the only thing we do that is really bad for us..

But why extend life if you can't at least have one thing you do that you like to do that is a harmful. I mean im not going to sit still ,don't smoke ,don't eat anything except carrots and lettuce and waste away waiting to die living healthy . lol what is the point .extend life to live such a boring one? But over all .. I just wanted you to know that you and I have much in common ,age, situation, driving doctors and wives nuts.. It really made my day to read your post. Thanks

alunthebont
22-11-09, 22:18
Hi there looking4answers.
You know my friend, the really funny thing is, here i am thinking i have a grip on this thing, but found myself looking up health problems again,wich led me onto this site,you really have to laugh about it dont you.I think all us human beings are all the same where ever you come from, or what ever your status is.Thank you for your reply to my post, and glad it gave you a smile or two.

kestral
22-11-09, 22:32
reading about you good people getting palps and missed beats.do you get them when you walk, make love or get worried like me?

Maj
22-11-09, 22:49
I get them when walking sometimes and they make me feel tired, but I think you are more prone to getting them when you're tired anyway. I get them sometime after I eat. Sometime when I just go to bed - there's no pattern to them. We shouldn't worry about them, I know it's difficult but they just won't go while you are worried!:shrug:
Myra