PDA

View Full Version : Getting there

Amilie
15-01-08, 15:50
I joined this forum in 2004 when I was in a bit of a pickle. I had been on anti-depressants for years and when I came off them, after a couple of months, I started to panic again. At the time I hated my job, was having an affair with a man (not married but still pretty bad and stressful) who's mum was terminally ill and my dad had cancer. Very stressful and I had very bad panic attacks that resulted in me having lots of time off work and becoming slightly agrophobic. I couldn't be on my own, travel anywhere, couldn't drive, get a train, plane or go on motorways as a passenger. I could just about get a bus to work and back but that was about it.

Well, I started 2008 by driving on the motorway down to my parents (2 hours away) to see my new niece on my own.

I am still with my partner (exclusively!) who now lives in London during the week. I spend the week on my own in our house, driving to work and back and then sometimes get a train to London to see him, where I get on tubes!

There are still many things I can not do yet, like go abroad or travel to unfamiliar places on my own, but I am getting there.

All of this progress is down to CBT. I started seeing a brilliant therapist about 15 months ago and I haven't looked back.
It took a while to get the momentum going and started small. But the last 3 months have been amazing. Its when I realised that I had learnt all the techniques to deal with the panic attacks and it is now just a case of putting them into practise.

I have got rid of loads of my "safety behaviours" and am able to panic without caring now. Driving back from my parents at the weekend was a bit nerve racking, don't know why but was just nervous. Everytime I felt a wave of panic I was able to detach myself from the feeling and look at it objectively, do my breathing, tell myself it will pass and distract myself.

As you can see, I do still get panic when I am stressed but I can now manage it brilliantly. My main affirmation is "This too will pass". This means that every other panic attack I have ever had has not lasted, it has ended at some point and no harm has come of me. So just like all those other times, this one will be the same - IT WILL PASS.

So I recommmed CBT to anyone who wants to learn to crack this. I tried everything before that - pills, self-help books, hypnotherapy etc etc.

Anyway, I have a long way still to go but I am getting there. And if I can do it anyone can!!

Pink Panic
15-01-08, 15:59
Hi there,

I loved your post and it's all the more relevant to me as i finally start my CBT next Friday after a very long wait :D

I love reading posts like yours where people have triumped over panic and i wish you well in your continued recovery.
Well Done also in getting through a difficult stage in your life and coming out the other end so positive :hugs:

Pink
x

chalky
15-01-08, 16:06
Hi Amilie,

Congratulations on your progress.

:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

You have such a positive and encouraging message for all of us on this Forum.
I wish you continued success.
Best wishes,
Chalky

PUGLETMUM
15-01-08, 16:13
:yesyes: awww well done for you amilie!!!! i am banging on a bit at the moment about cbt,i have made similar improvement and i too wholeheartedly embrace the concepts of cbt. all the best to you and thanks so much for your inspiring post - gives everybody who is suffering hope.