PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here

worriedGrace
16-01-08, 16:12
Hello Everyone

I found this wonderful site by chance. I would like to introduce myself to you all. I am 59 and have sufferedfrom anxiety since I was 10 years old.Both my parents were anxious people and that fact that they had lost a three year old daughter before I was born made them very protective of me. Since childhood I have worried about health problems and when I left school I worked in a hospital office which I shared with a lady whose job was to go through all the notes of cancer sufferers which she would often read to me. You can see now how I developed a cancer phobia!

I have had medication for anxiety and depression and was hospitalised with post natal depression after the birth of my second child. At the moment I am on Duselpin for anxiety and Ramipril for high bloodpressure. I also suffer from quite a lot of allergies some of which are quite serious and have led to anaphalaxis. This all adds to my anxiety.

I have been reasonably stable for the last ten years despite losing both parents but about six years ago I developed symptoms of IBS and became very worried. My grandmother died of bowel cancer and I was convinced that I would too. My GP is very kind and sent me for a barium enema which found nothing wrong and for a while I was reassured but then I started thinking that I should have had a colonoscopy.

A few weeks ago I lost my last old Aunt and all my worried have returned with a vengeance. I've had two bouts of diarrhoea in a week and although I put on a good face at work I go to pieces when I am alone. My children think it is all a huge joke and that it is just the way I am but I am fed up with the worry and misery. I have noticed that real events don't have the same effect on me but I have spent my life worrying about things that never happen.

I think that is enough for the moment but I would welcome anyone's advice.

chalky
16-01-08, 16:25
Hi Grace,
Welcome to NMP!
:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:
You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

yorkylover
16-01-08, 16:52
Hi Grace and welcome.You will make lots of friends here.There is always lots help and support.:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

MessedUp
16-01-08, 17:13
Hi Grace, welcome.
It's good old "Fear of the Future" - and I know that well! I have to admit to myself that somehow I've faced everything Life has thrown at me (I'm still here!) and yet if I think about certain things that *might* happen I nearly fall to pieces (yet STILL handle it, somehow!).
The answer really is to let the future take care of itself, and take comfort that you too have dealt with all your anxiety this far - no matter how bad it got you're still here - taking positive action looking for answers. Find ways to calm yourself down, reduce stress in general, and get some fun into your life, and the rest will follow. That's my theory, and I'm hoping it's going to work, LOL
I hope you find the forums as useful as I have.

trac67
16-01-08, 17:37
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

SANDYJANE
16-01-08, 19:28
Hi and a big warm welcome,

love Sandyjanexxx

Lindalou64
17-01-08, 01:47
HELLO GRACE AND WELCOME TO THE SITE....I WISH YA WELL......LINDA

Nibbles
17-01-08, 20:55
Hi Grace and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. I'm sorry to hear you've had such a tough time. :hugs: Something I've learned about anxiety is that it can bring on the symptoms you fear. In my case it is nausea and in yours it's diarrhoea because you fear bowel cancer. The mind is too clever for its own good sometimes!

Take care,

Mike :)

groovygranny
17-01-08, 22:37
Hello Grace:welcome: to you!

Well, no one will think your concerns are a joke here - there's plenty of help and support on offer. The information on the left side of this page is worth a look at too.

Glad you found us and decided to join us - pleased to meet you!:hugs:

:flowers:

nomorepanic
19-01-08, 17:38
Hi Grace

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.