PDA

View Full Version : Its Working for me

journeyman
16-01-08, 22:28
Hi Folks

Just like to introduce myself, I have been loitering around this site for a number of weeks now, i finnally signed up last week, ive visited the chat room and read stories and studied the advice. and what a TREMEDOUS effect its had on me. Ok a little about me, Im 46 year old ,and married to a very understanding Wife. Ive been fortunate to be blessed with this wonderfull panic Disorder for 15 years at least. In fact up untill last year i only panicked on areoplanes,lifts and as a passinger in a car. (Never when im Driving) So i just avoided those situations. However last August i went full time and panicked everwhere, At Home, At Work,In Bed, up to Half a Dozen times a day ,Every Day. These were full blown panic attacks, A feeling of impending doom, wanting to run but nowhere to hide, Heart racing, Gut Churning, Couldnt breath. I think people around me had thought id lost the plot, and so did I. I didnt go to the Doctor because i thought id get put in a mental Hospital. So I did the next best thing and Googled my Symptoms,
That was the first time i realised what I was dealing with. (Hooray im not Mad).
Id like to share my progress so far in the hope it will incourage others. The first thing i read was how to stop panics through Distraction and Breathing properly and also realising it was my own thoughts creating the panics. (Spookey but true). Within a few days my panics stopped, Havent had one since. However i had been left with a horrible sensation, a feeling of anticipation pretty much all the time. (Anxiety) Thats when i started CBT
which is explained on this web site at a level even i can understand.
I have totally turned myself over to this self help program every waking minute of the day in every thing i do. My feelings of anxiety have been totally abscent for 4 days now. Which is incredible, I only Started it 2 weeks ago.
Admittedly i havent tried out stepping in a lift or Flyng again yet, thats the next step for me . Im now studying the self Hypnosis page and i just Know itll work.

Stay Possitive
all the best
Journeyman

trac67
17-01-08, 10:29
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxxx

chalky
17-01-08, 14:44
Hi Journeyman,

Welcome to the Forum!

:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

It's great to hear how positive and pro-active you are being.You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

ladygrom
17-01-08, 15:00
hi welcome to the forum wer youl get loads of info and advice and make some lovely friends tc elaine xx

Nibbles
17-01-08, 21:08
Hi Journeyman and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. I'm glad to hear how well you're doing.

Take care,

Mike :)

groovygranny
17-01-08, 22:50
Hello Journeyman:welcome: to you!

Glad you're receiving some help already from the site and it's members - I 'loitered' for about 6 mnths before I plucked up the courage to join lol!

Thank you for sharing your progress - it sure will encourage and inspire others. It's great when you find out you're not mad isn't it? :blush:

pleased to meet you!

:)

julieb
18-01-08, 19:49
Hi, could i ask what cbt you are using? is it an online programme or self help books.

ju xx

journeyman
18-01-08, 22:49
Hi julieb

Im using the infomation that Meg wrote on this site, Cognitive Behavioral Theropy in the firststeps section. I havent yet found a book on cbt, Im not really following a structured program although I did use the linden method to stop my panics, But that only took me so far.
I would be happy to post what i say to myself when i visit those places of anxiety. which i reinforce even now the anxiety as all but gone. if that would be of interest please let me know.

Best wishes
journeyman

Lindalou64
19-01-08, 01:18
Hello Journeyman And Welcome To The Site.......i Wish Ya Well......linda

nomorepanic
19-01-08, 17:20
Hi Journeyman and :welcome:

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

You will meet some lovely people here and get some great support.