PDA

View Full Version : Quetiapine /seroquel

joy
17-01-08, 19:41
anyone on this as a sleep aid or as an add on to a anti depressant?

Joy

Pink Panic
17-01-08, 21:21
Hi Joy,

I'm on it at a low dose to calm my racing thoughts.
My Psych says i don't have to take it daily but just as needed.

Pink
x

joy
17-01-08, 22:20
and does it help? I am taking it at night as i cant sleep/ What dose do you take to quell the anxiety in the day that doesnt make you sleep?

Love Joy

Jimbo
17-01-08, 22:21
I am on 300mgs. (I take it all in one dose at night, it lasts for 24hrs)

For sleep, panic, anxiety, racing thoughts, mild psychotic symptoms, irrational thinking and mood stabilising properties.

For me it has been a wonder drug, except for weight gain. I've put on 25kgs while on it. That's the only down side I've had. I seem to remember the first couple of times I took it I felt a bit 'weird' but that went away very quickly.

The sedating effect does wear off to a certain extent after a while. But it's not supposed to be addictive, although there are some recent studies that suggest it might be. I haven't tried coming off it tho.

Jim :hugs:

joy
17-01-08, 22:27
At the moment I'm only on 50mg but up to 100mg next week. did feel really weird all day today, but managed to go to a committee meeting tonight. dont care about addiction!!!As long as it works

Love joy

Pink Panic
18-01-08, 11:14
I'm only on one 25mg when required and the most i have taken in one day is one but been told i can take up to three.
It did help but i wonder if i would have calmed down anyway.

As i think you already know Joy, I have a fear of meds but spoke to the Psych last week and he told me he had other patients who like Jimbo were on up to 300mg with no ill effects.

Pink
xxx

Jimbo
18-01-08, 11:49
One thing to bare in mind is they do take quite a long time to take effect, I find over an hour before they start to work.

joy
18-01-08, 13:26
thought they were supposed to help you sleep, dont seem to be doing that for me sadly

Love Joy

joy
18-01-08, 13:37
do you think 25mg would stop me feeling panicky in the day??

Love joy

Jimbo
18-01-08, 14:48
I think it depends on each person really. I would experiment and find what dose works for you. Initially I took it for anxiety and panic 25 three times a day. Morning, lunch and bed time. If you find any side effects that are unpleasant then reduce the dose. The most common are feeling zombified and sleepy.

Jim:hugs:

Pink Panic
18-01-08, 15:51
Just spoke to my CPN and she said to take them in the day if i am feeling panicky not just at the times i have the racing thoughts. She also said that the Psychs are now prefering these to diazepam and that they aren't addictive.

Pink
xxx

Jim - Did you feel zombified (is this a word lol) when you started on the 25mg or just on the higher doses. I ask as i have a little girl who i need to be alert for.
Thanks.

xxx

Jimbo
18-01-08, 18:22
It depends on a lot of things, your body weight, how sensitive you are to them, how high your anxiety is, etc. I know quite a few people who have taken them (cmon speak up!!:winks:). There's a lot of variables, so I can't predict exactly how they are going to effect you. For me:

They are like Diazepam in that they have a sedative effect that's very similar. Except it doesn't make your muscles relax and it doesn't make you feel euphoric, release your inhibitions, or make you feel 'doped up', but they calm your thinking down in a similar way. They seem to take longer to work than Diazepam for me. I would compare 25mgs to 2mgs Diazepam.

What I would do is take one in the evening when your little-un has gone to bed to get an idea of how they effect you just for reassurance. I think you'll be fine, the dose is so small and they don't affect your ability to function so I think your little-un will be fine.

My shrink increased my dose because I have 'mood instability' and they are a mood stabiliser. I went right up to 500mgs but I started to get very stiff and twitchy muscles so I went down to 300mgs. I find that taking them in the evening helps me sleep best compared to splitting them up through the day (I used to do that). They still do sedate me a bit, it doesn't get loads stronger the more you take for some reason.:shrug:

Pink Panic
18-01-08, 18:58
Hi Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate :hugs:

Loads of good advice and i will give it a try ...... cheers :yesyes:

Love
Pink
xxx

joy
18-01-08, 19:03
yes i thought of giving it a try when i feel panicky but dont have to go anywhere just in case I keel over!
BTW Pink why are you so anti meds if I may ask, you can pm me if you dont want to go public!!!!

Love Joy

Pink Panic
18-01-08, 19:42
Hi Joy

I have no probs going public with this one.
I'm not "anti-meds" as you put it ... i'm just scared to death about the effects they have on me personally. If i found a med that worked for me i'd take it along with everyone else. Anyways my main reasons for me fears are -

I had a bad reaction to penicillin in my 20's when my face blew up like a balloon, difficulties breathing etc.,

I had a bad reation to anti-deps where i saw little men running about outside trying to kill me coupled with severe anxiety. Doc assures me that these were the older anti-deps and the newer ones now have less side effects.

I became addicted to dihydrocodeine after a back injury and the withdrawl from them was absolute hell on earth ..... my panic started soon after!

Had an allergic reaction to penicillin substitute after giving birth to my second child.

For me personally I would rather cope with my panic and use methods other than meds to help my recovery. I saw my Psych last week and he says i'm doing great but that the Quetiapine is beneficial to me albeit it in small doses when required. I respect this fella so i'm going to use it ..... if it agrees with me!! LOL
My Psych isn't the stereotypical doc who hands out pills, he's a young fella who actually listens unlike others i have seen and he's got me doing 2 Mental Health Groups a week along with seeing my CPN, doing graded exposure with a support worker and now I'm starting CBT next week and i know i'm very very lucky that i'm able to get all this therapy. He's also told me that he knows it's not a tea party doing therapy as it's draining and mentally exhausting but also that it's results are proven to work so that's what i'm clinging on to.

I guess we have to try and work out what's best for us as individuals.

Love
Pink
xxx

joy
19-01-08, 14:11
Gee whiz no wonder you dont like taking pills.What a story.You are brave doing all those therapies especially if you are having an anxious day. ley me know if you decide to take the quetiapine in the day and what effects did it have

Love Joy

madelaine
07-01-10, 17:54
im on 100 mg serequel twice a day n it helps a little going on citalopram 2moro after 4 months on trazadone fingas xd it helps my terrible irratinal thoughts of death awe the time x

bomberbeamish
10-01-10, 11:00
hi all,, i take seroquel 25mg four times aday, morn,lunch tea and bed, i myself have got myself in a pickel with theses , scared to take them and scared of weight gain, and also being out of it and i have a two yr old. well i got tired but still able to look aftere my little one and the tiredness wore off, and i do get a bit more hungry but try to choose something healthy, they have helped me loads, but the reason i have join this post is that if i feel panicy in the morns which i normally do , can i take my lunch time one earlyer? and take the edge off insteed of taking a diaizpam to get me though, im on meds for same as you lot, dp, ocd panic and anixety and thoughts, also so my doc wanted me to go on the xl version but im to scared to change the routine if you know wot i mean,, sorry fot long post,,, any suggestions.

lucy xx

Jimbo
10-01-10, 12:54
so my doc wanted me to go on the xl version but im to scared to change the routine if you know wot i mean,, sorry fot long post,,, any suggestions.

Hi Lucy,

I went on the XL version when they came out a little while back, and had much better results. They are as you would expect, they release slowly and last longer. But I am on a much higher dose.
I think they are more healthy to take than diazepam as you can take quetiapine long term, but diazepam is only for short term use.
Best thing is to talk to your doc before changing anything. If it's urgent perhaps get a telephone appointment tomorow.

bomberbeamish
10-01-10, 18:01
thanx jim, i think i need to pluck the couarge up and just take the xl version as doc would like me to, which would be 50mg in morn and same at nite, and then if i was on edge to take a 25mg normal one when needed instead of diaipam.

lucy

Jimbo
10-01-10, 19:28
thanx jim, i think i need to pluck the couarge up and just take the xl version as doc would like me to, which would be 50mg in morn and same at nite, and then if i was on edge to take a 25mg normal one when needed instead of diaipam.

lucy

That sounds really sensible.:yesyes: I was on 4 times a day and went to 2 times a day. I was also worried about changing but it worked out really well for me. It's much easier and simpler, I don't have to worry about popping pills all the time.
You can always give it a try and go back if it doesn't work out.

bomberbeamish
12-01-10, 07:35
spoke to doctor after a rough few days , and today im starting seroquel xl 50mg twice aday, and an odd 25mg if needed, ive allready taken a diazipam as im scared of change, but im thinking i cant feel any worse than i do, so im going to keep a small diary on this post for support, it 6.30 am now and my friend coming round about half 9 ,so im going to take it around 8.30 then the same at nite, x wishing u ll a great day x

bomberbeamish
12-01-10, 09:54
well i chickened out, ive just taken my normal 25mg , i sat here with it in my hand for ages and i was worried it mite do summit, and i wouldnt be able to get it out of my body, spose i could try again tomorrow

Jimbo
12-01-10, 13:30
i was worried it mite do summit, and i wouldnt be able to get it out of my body

To reassure you a bit, the XR version is exactly the same as the normal version. The only difference is the tablet is made to dissolve much more slowly.:)

bomberbeamish
12-01-10, 15:38
thnak u jim for taking the time to post back, im just scared, i wanna do it,, when you went over to them did u have all the side affects again or did u just carry on as if u hadnt changed, did u noice anything? i dont mind taking tablets during day i am used to it now, it that the only diffence there is just not poping pills all time, because my doc said they would work better for me, but how?

Jimbo
12-01-10, 17:12
when you went over to them did u have all the side affects again or did u just carry on as if u hadnt changed, did u noice anything?

I didn't have any problems, or side effects, I just carried on as normal. I found they worked better for me as the normal tablets can wear off more quickly. So instead of having peaks and troughs I was much more level all day. Also I only have to worry about taking my meds 2 times a day. Much easier to remember.

My only advice is not to take them on top of a huge meal, take them before as it can slow down the absorption in your stomach. You might have noticed that with the normal tablets too.

The XR tablets are more expensive to the NHS so they only recommend them if they think they'll benefit you.

bomberbeamish
12-01-10, 18:49
again thanx jim, i keep you posted on my progress , and if i take them in morn, the thing is though i had someone to come sit with me today because i was worride bout them and she thinks i took them and was proud of me, and i didnt even do it,, i feel such a bitch , for not doing it and lying ,, i do get my self in these pickels, but now all mmy family think ive done it and i aint,,, im such a @&^X£"%

Jimbo
12-01-10, 19:04
My best advice is to tell them, hiding your fears away isn't going to help things. Perhaps if you tell them they can help you through it.

bomberbeamish
18-01-10, 20:24
thanx for your advise jim, i still havnt made the swich, ive told my family ect that i havnt, they dont know wot to do really, apart from reasure me, i was going to take one tonite cause i be asleep most of it, but im scared summit mite happen, like a reaction on summit, sorry to have put all this on u, i am a pain inarse, if it was my friend in this situation i would say do it, but when it me,, i better not just in case, llol

serocool
23-02-11, 16:11
Hello everyone,

I have been reading posts on forums like this for a couple years now, and decided today that it was time to share my experience with Seroquel. First I would like to thank everyone who has posted their own story involving Seroquel here or elsewhere, since your info has helped me be to be confident when starting to use this drug. In the summer of 2008 I was prescribed Seroquel 25mg at bedtime as needed to help calm my racing thoughts and rage (mental and verbal, and on one occasion physical). This is the first time I have ever taken a drug related to mental health, and I am 35 years old now. I have never taken any medications on a regular basis.

I kicked a hole in the wall in our bedroom one afternoon while I was all worked up in a rage about something absolutely unimportant, that I was absolutely convinced was life or death critical. We live in the USA, and interior walls these days are almost exclusively made of gypsum wallboard (drywall) that break very easily. I mention this only to put a gauge on the amount of physical force required to make the hole with my foot, which is not very much. My problems at the time were completely in my mind, and this was the first physical manifestation of the rage I was feeling. At no point have I or would I even remotely consider directing physical violence towards my wife. At that moment I figured a show of force would help her "understand me". The irony is that kicking the hole in the wall was not such a terrible thing to do, since I had finally left some compelling physical evidence of a manic episode. It was the breaking point, literally. I could no longer keep believing the problem was with everyone else, it was undeniably with me.

After I saw the hole and realized what had happened (my wife sat on the floor in our closet and was crying), I was able to calm myself down enough to think rationally again. We made arrangements to go see a psychiatrist together that an elderly friend had recommended (my wife wasn't the only one who understood my needs before I did). After hearing both of us describe our recent trouble, the doctor suggested I take the smallest dose of Seroquel possible at bedtime to insure a good night's sleep and help calm my manic mind over time. It was only to be taken when my wife and I agreed that my stress level was elevated enough that a benadryl would not be enough to help me sleep. I was prescribed 30 pills that day (6/11/2008), and today (2/23/2011) I am happy to say there are still 8 of those 30 remaining. Full disclosure: we have gone through a few bottles of Benedryl capsules, and 50mg is enough to make me sleep peacefully every time (180lb guy). I have not seen it stressed enough on this forum, but getting a good night of sleep every night is absolutely critical. Getting good sleep is the most important aspect of mental health maintenance. More sleep = less trouble. Please get your sleep, and get it regularly, one way or the other.

For me, this drug has been an absolute savior. For the tiniest dose to make such a huge and positive change in my life is just stunning in my opinion. I understand that many variables are involved in each individual's story, and that many variables never get included in online posts, but it seems to me that my experience has been atypical compared to most posts I have read. I would love to hear from other people who have been prescribed this low dosage for occasional use to stop mania before it gets fully started. I am amazed that people are able to stomach such high dosages on a daily basis, since the smallest dose has been enough to keep my mania in check. I can't imagine what it would feel like to take a 500mg dose, since 25mg knocks me on my butt every time. I too am groggy the next day until about lunch time, and usually will drink extra caffeine in the morning to help keep my eyes focused. My metabolism slows down significantly after taking Seroquel, but I would not call it constipation. Those are the only two negative side effects for me, and with so many positive effects I am extremely pleased with what this stuff has done for my family.

Sincerely,
Serocool :noangel:

bomberbeamish
25-02-11, 10:11
hi guys, was just reading this thats popped up again and reading wot i said a year ago,, lol,, very intresting.
Since then ive went up to 200mg xl at night and the only side affect was weight gain which was around 21lbs, 1 1/2 stone,, and i couldnt shift it it was just creeping on, so i decided which docs advise to wean down im now down to 50mg once a night and im ok, they got me out of a big hole, i have the iption to take 25mg normal version if im bad or diaizpam. i see why people hate this drug cause weight gain can issue all other feelings bout yourself, but im ok,, and doing well.

loufitz
26-07-11, 11:50
Hi,
I am very sensitive when it comes to tablets and what is a high/ok dose for me is only an 8th of what others seem to have ! I have tried many anti anxiety tablets and am now on 25mg of Seroquel at night, I only started these four days ago and am completly zombified during the day but having a lovely sleep at night ! Do you think these zombie feelings may wear off ? I am fortunate that the anxiety does not stop me from working and I work in a school so am due to have five weeks off so am happy to see if these zombie feelings disapear
Louise

lenore
30-08-11, 21:20
I'm been taken off Clomipramine and moved onto Quetiapine as I've been diagnosed with BPD as well as the depression, anxiety and OCD I knew about.

I started on 50mg last night and can't say that I felt much of anything, though I did sleep more heavily than usual last night. I'm also on 5mg of diazepam 3 times a day and don't think that's doing anything either. Perhaps I need a tranquillizer dart to the neck :roflmao:The dosage is being slowly increased to 200mg so hopefully I'll see some results by then.

Davevanza
31-08-11, 07:52
anyone on this as a sleep aid or as an add on to a anti depressant?

Joy

yes, i was prescribed this primarily diagnosed as having Schizzo-affective disorder by my previous Psychiatrist, and secondarily as a sleep aid .( as I have been an insomniac since 1990.).

The dose i took initially was 100mg at night, but because of the side effect, my previous psychiatrist lowered it to 50mg.
I've been on it since 2005-2008, until I saw my current psychiatrist.

loufitz
03-10-11, 14:37
Hi Joy,
I am super sensetive to alot of tablets and have tried others but they gave me horrendous headaches.
My dr wanted me to start at 75 and slowly go up to 75 but they were too strong !
I now take 12 mg at night and struggle to wake in the morning !
I am not sure my racing thoughts etc during the day calm but I do at least get a good nights sleep
Louise

shotokansho
17-10-11, 03:26
I'm so glad I found this post. I have recently started on quetiapine for intrusive thoughts and some psychosis. I am only taking 25mg per day and I take it at night time. I must admit I feel loads better on them, they are brilliant. I'm on them along with my usual 20mg of cipralex. At first they made me sleepy but after a few weeks that feeling wears off a little.

lipsthefish
17-03-12, 15:20
Hi all, I'm new here and have just found the forums :D

I am currently on 25mg quetiapine 6 times daily and 300mg xl at night. I haven't really had any bad side effects and it does not help me sleep, my psychiatrist wanted to get me off zopiclone so I am now on promethazine for sleeping which is working for me. Also take 60 mg Duloxetine on a morning and 5mg diazepam 3 times daily.

TillySm
23-03-12, 23:54
I want to share my experience especially regarding Zyprexa (olazepine, is that spelling right?). They are a newer antipsychotic just like serquel, sort of like prozac to paxil. I have found this drug in a tiny dose to be extremely helpful just like the stories above. I am banned from SSRI's now due to my bad reaction to one and Zyprexa is the only psychotropic tool I have now. I have only ever taken 7 1/4 doses so far since 2006 but they are just brilliant at subtly leveling your head out and in the small dose it is done actually really naturally or it feels that way anyway. I suppose that is why they are a bit more pricey but you may only need the one box for a couple of years like me because it seemed to stabilize me and I remained stabilized when going off them. Remember to ask your chemist about the side effects of any meds though including this one - but remember all the side effects and the nastier ones seem to only occur in the massive doses. I had pretty much NO side effects at all on Zyprexa tiny dose but heaps on low-moderate anti-depressant dose. Good stuff.