PDA

View Full Version : embarrasing problem

sammy
04-03-05, 12:16
Hi does any one fear losing control and not reaching the toilet in time. This really limits my life everytime I go out i have to know that their is a toilet near by also this makes me scared, well I do not go in lifts travel on tubes, buses. i also wear dark jeans just in case. I work in a playgroup and i was scared of walking around the corner to the bookshop, i had to go twice before I went. It has never happened and I try to tell myself look it won't happen, its not happened before. But it might. It like a circle of panic. my mind also seems to like inventing new fears choking drinking to much water. Can anyone relate to this, thanks sam

sal
04-03-05, 13:10
Hi Sam

I dont actually get anxious about that but i have a really close friend who is just like you. As soon as you get in the car she thinks just like you do and avoids situations where she cant get immediate access to a toilet. If she is in a situation where she cant just get up and go to the toilet she starts to panic.

So you are definately not alone, and like you my friend thinks this but never has had an accident.

Take care.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

bluebottle
04-03-05, 13:33
Hi Sam,

Well done for having the courage to raise this problem. OK, get comfortable and I'll tell you my story.

I was a postman and going through major anxiety problems at the time. I was out on delivery for up to 3-4 hours a day and obviously this caused me problems with diarrhoea. I was always needing the toilet and many times I had to ask to use a customer's toilet or cycle home like the clappers and get in just in time. Now then, yes I did get caught short one or two times. It wasn't pleasant and I don't ever want to repeat the experience again, and I won't because I take two Loperamide tablets every morning.
http://www.numarkpharmacists.com/leftMenu2/page_drug_information/page_medicines_loperamide.html
If you get these from your GP they are much cheaper.

Regards,

Blue
--
This Years Love - David Gray -
If you love me got to know for sure, Cos it takes something more this time than sweet sweet lies

FAN
04-03-05, 14:02
hi as you dont actually have the problem rather than worry it will happen im not sure that taking anything for diarreah would be a good idea as that might set you off with it once you stop taking it,

fan x

Meg
04-03-05, 14:08
Sam - this is very common. It often starts out as a new phase and the way to overcome it is to put yourlself inot situations that you can control and prove to yourself these are just your worries and thought patterns that are causing your body to respond and you can control it.

A few years agi as I was recovering we went on holiday and as I felt so much better booked onto a day excursion. The night before it suddenly dawned on me that the bus might not have a loo on it and ..what if etcetcetc I was up all night and still not ready to leave .
The bus didn't have a loo on it so I nearly got off but my partner was not willing to get off with me and the thought of staying behind all day on my own at the hotel was worse than going . The first 3 hours were awful. I was convinced I would have to stop the bus and make a scene but as the minutes and 2 hours passed we eventually stopped and I dived for the loo and on getting back on the bus the thoughts were there again but we were nearing an interesting bit of the journey and eventually I realized I hadn't thought about it in a couple of hours and all was very well and thus I learnt how we can play tricks on ourselves and make our bodies respond.

Blue

Are you still taking them now wven though you don't have this schedule and the same worries anymore ?

sammy
04-03-05, 14:20
Thank you everyone but i don't want to rely on imodien etc but I do have then in my bag just in case. I had to take four on my last plane trip. The thought of going on holiday really scares me especially the bus transfer. I don't know if I will be able to go. Its been 5 years since we have been on hoilday.

bluebottle
04-03-05, 14:53
Meg;

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Blue

Are you still taking them now even though you don't have this schedule and the same worries anymore ?</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I do still take them as my anxiety is always around, just worst some times than others.

Regards,

Blue
--
This Years Love - David Gray -
If you love me got to know for sure, Cos it takes something more this time than sweet sweet lies

Meg
04-03-05, 15:03
This might be a good time to think about getting off them as you're not having to face a schedule...

pink lady 1
30-12-06, 16:21
this is like reading my own story! The minute i get in my car or go anywhere i am looking for the nearest toilet and can make myself need to go. I have had a few small accidents where i have soiled mysef a tiny bit, which just reinforces the far that if i need to go i WILL go.

I try not to go on buses (holiday transfers are a no no now too), tubes, lifts, basically anywhere where i cant get to a toilet within a few minutes. Does anyone else also have it when the minute someone else goes into the bathroom, you need to go? Even if you didnt before? Its the fear of not being able to get there in time and loosing control. I thought i was the only one who's anxiety manifested itself in this way. I hate it as i am a confident, ambitious, sociable character in every other way and no one would even know i suffer from anxiety. Its just that I no longer seem able to control my bowels. I have to leave meetings to go to the loo, once i have been once i am usually ok. Wont leave the house in the morning till i have been. Wont eat during the day if i am out and about, despite being starving and my stomach making the most embarrassing noises. I hate travelling with companions, friends etc as always feel worse with other people incase i lose control in front of them - so always get out of taking people in my car/being a passenger etc, always prefer to go places along, which is ironic and annoying when i am such a sociable person!

God the mind is such a powerful thing. I hate the way I have let this rule me. I am soon to start cbt and hypnotherapy but cant ever see the day when i dont reply on imodium to get me through some days!

Empathise with all of you and itsn comforting to know i am not alone and not a freak.

Suzi26
31-12-06, 19:48
Im so glad im not alone i have had this for a while i go out not needing the loo but as soon as i know there is no loo i need to go and i get tummy upset and feel as if i might have an accident and that makes me panic even more.
I have taken immodium a few times when im going to work as i have a journey on the train and tube which i just about manange with the help of lorazepam my mp3 and a book.
I think its just a phobia that gets worse the more we think of it.
We are not alone. Suzi xx