PDA

View Full Version : Hi there,

Michie
17-01-08, 20:22
I had no idea that a site like this even existed. It is kind of a comfort to know that others can share advice as to what they are or have experienced. I myself have been suffering from anxiety my whole life and only now at the oncoming age of forty (next month) realize that there is anxiety in my life and that I don't have to "suck it up" and face it head on. Now my Dr. is saying that I might be depressed. I don't feel depressed, just a little overwhelmed at times. But maybe that is what depression is or looks like? Anyways he has tried a couple of anti-depressants with me, and I had really bad side effects. (Paxil and Effexor) Wound up in emergency. They said it was too much for my system all at once. However, I am allergic to codeine and so many other pain killers that it does not surprise me. So I went off of everything, was taking a small amount of Adivan, not really helping, makes me sleepy. So now he has given me Citalopram in 10mg doses once a day to start. I want to know what side effects are normal and is it helpful? Has anyone taken this before or had similar experiences with other meds and this worked for them?

kellie
17-01-08, 20:39
hiya michi. welcome to nmp, you will get lots of support and advice here from all the great members. ive never taken meds but my hubbie was give citalopram for anx and panic. he found it heightened his anxitey and gave him hot sweats and mussle twitches. the doc assured him this would carm down after 2 to 6 wks. they are app very good for anx but everyone is diff. come into the chat room where everyone is always willing to help and you will get lots more advice and help there. take care .

kellie.

doglover
17-01-08, 20:48
Hi
Ive been on citalopram for anxiety and mild depression for 3 weeks. The first 2 weeks were horrible for me but everyones different. I felt very very anxious and could not relax at all and felt i was on the verge of a panic attack most of the time. Now though in week 3 i feel a dramatic improvement. I still have my moments but overall am really pleased i managed to stick it out. My GP gave me some sleeping pills to help with the initial side effects which you may want to consider.
However you might find you dont get any side effects, i didn't when i took them a year or so ago for a few months which is a bit strange.
I started on 20mg a day but ive noticed most people seem to start on a lower dose, maybe thats why i felt so bad at first.
I hope they help you
Donna

trac67
17-01-08, 20:55
Hi Michie,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Nibbles
17-01-08, 21:17
Hi Michie and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. When my GP once tested me for depression he asked me to fill out a couple of questionnaires. Citalopram usually takes a few weeks to take effect and people can suffer different side effects or none at all. I'd have a read of the leaflet with the medication if you're at all concerned.

Take care,

Mike :)

groovygranny
17-01-08, 23:09
Hello Michie:welcome: to you!

Citalopram side effects can be unpleasant - but it's well worth sticking with it in my opinion. I started on the max dose of 60mg per day and was on them for 6 months only. Please do PM me if you'd like to chat more about it.

There is also a Citalopram link in the Medication Forum you might find helpful.

Don't worry - you'll find plenty of support here, pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

chalky
18-01-08, 01:36
Hi Michie,
Welcome to the Forum.
Youwill get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

ladygrom
18-01-08, 06:53
hi michie welcome to the site youl get loads of advice on here .i was on citalopram for 7 months they realy helped me cope with anxiety and depresion.the first few weeks on them heightened anxiety but it soon settled .ive been off them for 3 weeks now and they realy did help me cope .tc elaine xxxx

SANDYJANE
18-01-08, 08:28
Hi and a big warm welcome .

love sandyjanexxx

IrishPrincess
18-01-08, 13:07
Heya Michie,

Welcome:hugs: ,I don't take meds myself,but there's loads on here that do,im sure u will get good advice,it is a great comfort to know ur not the only one out there.

IrishPrincess:hugs:

Keep your heart open to dreams,
For as long as there's a dream,
There is hope,
And as long as there's hope,
There is joy in living.

Lindalou64
19-01-08, 01:19
HELLO MICHIE AND WELCOME TO THE SITE .I WISH YA WELL....LINDA

nomorepanic
19-01-08, 17:19
Hi Michie and :welcome:

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

You will meet some lovely people here and get some great support.