PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

rich01
17-01-08, 20:26
Hi I am new on here, i just want little bit of help.

I have been suffering from anxiety and general depression for about four years now. I used to be a really confident person when was in my earlier years, but gradually as i have been getting older, due to me not having confidence in my own apperance, i have become more an more insecure. I am stuck in a situation were i feel my condition is getting worse and worse.

I have got to a stage were i cant even join into conversations with my best mates, my mind just goes blank and i get unbelievably nervous. When i am in one-on-one situations i am generally fine, but when i am in large grops, it gets really bad. If i feel that i am the centre of attention, i get really embarresed, i dont know why it just happens. I start to get really flustered, my body shakes uncontrollably (especially my hands and arms). I cant explain it even if someone asks me a simple question, my mind is so blank I cant reply.

Very recently it has been getting so bad I have started getting minor attacks, my heart races, I get a really tight chest pain, pins and needles in my left arm etc.

I desperately just want to be able to just lead a normal life with my friends, however the longer this is going on the more and more alone and anti-social I am becoming. It is also affecting me elsewhere, i used to play loads of sports, football, cricket, tennis to name a few. However now due to my conditon as soon as i know someone is watching me playing i turn into a nervous wreck, and my performance has dropped dramatically. Generally i am becoming more and more depressed, and it is effecting my studies as well. I am in a vicious circle and i don't know how too get out of it.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

doglover
17-01-08, 20:41
Hi and welcome.
I think if you haven't sought help already from your GP that is your first step. You have very clearly explained to us where your anxiety lies and thats what you need to tell your GP.
Many people here have had CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) which they have found really helpful. I haven't had it myself but believe your GP can refer you or you can pay privately.
My problem is different from yours (anxiety caused by stress) which has resulted in many physical symptoms and panic attacks because i didn't recognise what my problem was until it had got quite bad.
I am now on medication (citalopram) which has helped reduce my anxiety and feelings of panic, however you have to be aware that if you go down this route initially you can suffer worse anxiety (for me it lasted a couple of weeks) and you still need to address the reasons why the anxiety happened in the first place otherwise when you coem off them the problems can start again.
Im quite new here so im sure you will get better advice than i can give.
Good luck
Donna

kellie
17-01-08, 20:48
hiya rich. welcome to nmp it lovely to meet you. you will make loads of great friends here and get lots of advice and help as well. i realy hope being here gives you back some of your confidance. come into the chat room and meet all the great ppl who are always willing to help. take care.

kelle .

Nibbles
17-01-08, 21:13
Hi Rich and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. The links on the left are full of useful info and you might find the social anxiety link particularly helpful.

Take care,

Mike :)

groovygranny
17-01-08, 23:04
Hello rich:welcome: to you!

Oh I do empahise with you - only today I found myself in a conversation with four people that led to the dreaded red face and neck, racing heart and thumping 'empty' brain........grrr! It just annoys me now rather than frightens me.

Plenty of help and support for you here though - pleased to meet you!

:)

chalky
18-01-08, 01:34
Hi Rich,

Welcome to the Forum!!

:hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes: :hugs: :yesyes:

I agree with Donna.It is essential that you get an accurate diagnosis-some of our symptoms can also be caused by conditions which are easily treatable eg,thyroid probs.They can be ruled in/out simply.
YOU WILL get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Lindalou64
19-01-08, 01:20
Hello Rich And Welcome To The Site Im Sure You Will Find Lots Of Info Here And Support ..i Wish Ya Well..........linda

nomorepanic
19-01-08, 17:17
Hi Rich and :welcome:

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

You will meet some lovely people here and get some great support.