PDA

View Full Version : Please don't laugh.

redrose
17-01-08, 20:53
Well here i am again in a state of panic.:weep:

This is my story so please don't laugh at me, cause i can't help it.

Every time i go in the shower or even think about going in the shower i just go into a state of panic.
I have this fear all the time that something is going to happen to me,things like what if i pass out and bang my head and die.:weep:
Just been in the shower and i was shaking all over with fear.
I have to call my partner in to talk to me to take my mind off these thoughts that go through my head.
I do have a radio in there but it does not help me much.

I don't know what started these feelings but they have been going on now for many years.

Don't get me wrong, but i do shower regulary so i am not neglecting my hygiene.

Has anyone else got this fear or am i going crazy?

Help please.

belle
17-01-08, 21:01
Hey there..

I know exactly what you mean. When i was at my lowest point, housebound, i could not bathe or wash my hair through fear that something awful would happen and i would panic. When i did bath it was a really quick affair, jump in, wash and out. There was no soaking like i do now :)
At the same time that was all happening, i often had days where i couldn't even get up the stairs to pee!!!! It was THAT bad.

You are not going crazy. Have you seen a doctor and spoken about it?
I don't remember how i got over the fear of bathing and hair washing, it happened slowly, but it did get better :)

x

redrose
17-01-08, 21:14
Hi bluebell,thanks for the reply and taking the time to read my post.
So glad to hear you are over your fear,must be a great feeling to be able to soak in the bath.

I have not been in the bath for years,only taken showers, and like yourself its a quick in and out.
The reason i don't take a bath is that i also fear that i might pass out and drown.
Here's hoping that maybe one day i might get over this horrible fear.

Also thank-you for telling me that i am not crazy,means alot to me.

xxxx

lorac
17-01-08, 21:37
I too have had the fear of bathing or showering but have got over it now. Even on my bad days I used to make myself go into the shower and stay in as long as I could, somehow I overcome my fears and go in without thinking now. Even now if I think of how I used to be I get all panicky.

You certainly are not crazy, it's just one of your fears and you will overcome this. We all have our fears and we just have to work at them. You will overcome it.

Carol
xxx

traciec39
17-01-08, 23:16
when i go in my shower cubicle i feel as if i cant breathe and that im going to faint and fall through the glass.

what a awful feeling.

Pink Panic
18-01-08, 09:38
Hi Rose,

Crickey you could have wrote that post about me!

I get into a right state very day when I go for my shower and like you I come out all shaky and stressed. I drive my partner mad as i don't close the shower curtain so the bathroom tiles are always soaked when i come out. I have discussed it with my CPN who said that in my case it's linked back to when i passed out in the shower in hospital after the birth of my first daughter.
I have tried gripper shower mats, listeneing to music, distraction methods such as counting backwards etc., and nothing has worked so far. I always buy lovely smelling shower gels and would love to spend time in the shower lathering myself with them but like you i'm just in and do the business and out. I don't even wash my hair in there i do it with a handshower in the sink.
I know this can't have been easy for you to talk about as i was so scared when i told my partner and then health professionals that they would laugh their heads off but they understood and my Psych said it's part of PTSD. What i'm wondering is if you have any situation that you can link your fear back to? The weirdest thing is my star sign is Pisces (the fish) and they are supposed to be water lovers!
I'm thinking that maybe we can help each other deal with this and get through it?

Pink
xxx