PDA

View Full Version : It's a wicked wicked thing - more advice required

angieb
04-03-05, 12:43
Hi again all

Been practising the NLP exercise and it has been fantastic for keeping the panic attacks away. I have not had a full on attack since using the technique...but!!!!!!

What is this new symptom? - My tongue feels dry and swollen and I am convinced that it will choke me - what is this all about!!!! Hubby reckons that I start to feel anxious then breathe through my mouth instead of my nose and that dries out my tongue. I feel like my throat is closing too - does anyone else suffer with this? I am trying to chew gum which seems to be helping.

I feel a right idiot today, I went out with one of the mums from school to go shopping and for lunch. Really relaxed and happy, wondering around toys r us when I felt a lump in my throat and my tongue felt like it was swelling - I just got overcome with it and had to get her to drive me to my husband's work and he drove me home. My tongue feels awful and throat like it will shut at any minute.

Arghhhh - will I ever get back to normal?

sammy
04-03-05, 12:53
Hi I think one of the symptons of panic is difficulty in swallowing I experienced something like what you described. i am scared of choking on food etc. Anyway swallowed a fish bone and started to feel as if I was going to choke. I felt as if my throat was closing, kept checking in the mirror etc went on for about two weeks any way went to doctor after a few days, she said it was just a bit red and to gargle asprin as this will reduce swelling/infection. I asked if it was possible for my throat to close up etc she said no. Have you been to your doctor just to reassure yourself.

sal
04-03-05, 13:08
Hi Angie

It is quite common to feel like your throat is going to close up due to anxiety. The more the symptoms persist the more we dwell on them. I am sure everything will be fine but why not go and see your doctor so at least medically you know there is nothing wrong.

Let us know how you are doing.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

jill
04-03-05, 13:18
Hi Angie,

Happy to hear that you are keeping the panic attacks away[
WELL DONE[^]
I know that one of anxiaty symptoms is a very dry mouth,
I have had this and I know is is not very nice.
You are doing the right thing, chew gum or suck a sweet.
Is it there all the time or dose it come and go?
The more you fear a symptom the longer it last.

There is an end to all this Angie, it just takes time.

TAKE CARE LOVE JILLXX

Believe it is possible to solve your problem.
Tremendous thing happen to the believer.
So believe the answer will come. IT WILL.

angieb
04-03-05, 13:30
You guys are amazing - always say the best things.

This is a new sympton for me, like it's being sneaky...ahh so you can tap away and slow your heart and breathing, what else can I throw at you[}:)]

I have been doing so well, almost back to normal. I handed my notice in at work last week (finally realised just how much stress it puts me under), so have some time off now. I have a job interview booked on Monday (just hope I can make it without an attack). This is a bizarre symptom as it almost feels like there is some hairs stuck on the back of my tongue and throat and that at any minute I will choke. I know it is a symptom but it just feels so real.

So yesterday I was on a high, able to drop off Millie to school and pick her up without a though and today I am back hunched over my laptop, rocking and tapping away[V]

I wonder what it will come up with when I learn to control this symptom[?]

You guys are the best...what a great site

bluebottle
04-03-05, 13:40
Hi Angie,

Try sucking a Trebor mint, Fox's Glacier or similar when you go out. This will keep your mouth moist and may help slightly with the anxiety (have you watched football managers chew!).

Regards,

Blue
--
This Years Love - David Gray -
If you love me got to know for sure, Cos it takes something more this time than sweet sweet lies

FAN
04-03-05, 13:43
hi glad your finding the site helpful, you are right about being able to control one symptom then another crops up, but hopefully you will soon be able to do the same with that ....good luck

fan x

Meg
04-03-05, 13:50
Hi

This is a very common anxiety / nervous symptom

Tight throat : MORE HORRID SYMPTOMS!!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957)

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
04-03-05, 19:21
Hiya

Try this thread too

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=987

Read the bit I put about tongues!!

Hope it helps

Nicola

angieb
04-03-05, 19:59
Hi Nicola

The link does not seem to be working, I would really love to read what you wrote on the subject too.

I can highly recommend the tapping NLP for avoiding a full blow panic attack. I am now able to stop a full blown attack in in tracks by just tapping with two fingers various points! Don't know why it works - but it does[^]

Take care Angie

Meg
04-03-05, 20:02
Yes www.eft.com

page 88 ish is the crucial bit if I remember - works for some not others - just like most things

Meg
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
04-03-05, 20:17
Sorry

Try this ...

Lump in Throat (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=813)

Nicola

angieb
05-03-05, 08:50
Thank you so much - again I now feel better for knowing that it is just yet another regular symptom.

Wonder what delightful symptom I have to look forward to next!!!!!

Chaz
05-03-05, 23:29
hi
wot does NLP stand for, because if it keeps attacks away, i'd like to try, my acctacks have only started recently, but as I'm only 14, they really scare me.

chaz xx

Meg
05-03-05, 23:38
Neuro Linguistic Programming - type of therapy .

As with all these things its not a 'one easy cure fits all' or we wouldn't need this site at all.

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg

nomorepanic
06-03-05, 13:34
Try this page too, it explains a bit about NLP

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/therapy.htm

Nicola