PDA

View Full Version : New to this...hi people!

Tony1980
18-01-08, 17:20
Hello everyone,

I'm from Merseyside in the UK.
For the last 13 years I've suffered what I can only believe to be panic attacks. They began in Secondary School around a time when I was being bullied and I don't know whether this is the sole root of my problems.
Over the years, I think the panic "layers" have built up and from feeling like an invincible 12 year old, I'm now a panicked hypochondriac who's afraid of heights, walking across open spaces like main roads (which is a worry!), being sat in a classroom like environment and has no confidence in both myself and those around me.

I realise I should really have done something about this years ago which may have prevented a lot of the bad feelings from happening now, indeed I had to leave my last job mainly because of the terror I personally felt inside working in a particular environment.

My symptoms have been general worry, followed by excess saliva in the mouth and difficulty swallowing, fear of collapsing or passing out (which never happens), occasional palpitations when extremely stressed in a situation, becoming hot and concerned people aorund will notice.

I'm going to book an appointment with my G.P. next week to sort this out as it has ruined my life for far too long. Have other people experienced anything similar and found their livelihoods limited by panic, particularly going outside and open spaces?
I would be grateful if anyone here can share their similar experiences (if any!) and whether any types of support, medication, hypnotherapy, counselling etc worked wonders for them.

Regards

Tony :)

kellie
18-01-08, 18:19
hiya tony. welcome to nmp everything you are saying about your symptoms are very common with anx and panic disorder.there are so many on here with the same probs and symptoms. you will make lots of new freinds here who understand just what you are saying. im so glad you have decided to see your gp about this and get things on the track to getting this sorted. come into the chat room and talk with us all, you will be made very welcome.

take care .

kellie.
ps. take a look at the anxiety section and the symptoms section you will find them very helpful.

bottleblond
18-01-08, 18:44
Hi Tony,

WELCOME to NO MORE PANIC!!

You said that you feel you should have done something about your anxiety years ago! look don't beat yourself up over this one because you sound as if you still had the ability to function normaly although having anxious feelings. Some people suffer in silence and others can be at the doc loads. The main this here is you are doing something about it now and NMP is a good way to move forward.

Welcome onboard mate

Lisa
xxx

trac67
18-01-08, 19:41
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Nibbles
18-01-08, 21:30
Hi Tony and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. Everyone on NMP has experienced similar feelings and fears so you aren't alone. Good luck with your trip to the doctors.

Take care,

Mike :)

doglover
18-01-08, 22:21
Hi and welcome to nmp.
Your GP is a step in the right direction. It might be an idea to write down a few things to make sure you give him all the facts and remember to ask all the relevant questions. If your anything like me, you go half dumb when you walk in and forget everything you wanted to say.
Good luck
Donna

groovygranny
19-01-08, 00:23
Hello Tony:welcome: to you!

Try not to think about what you maybe should have done years ago - the important thing is you're doing it now:yesyes: .

I can safely say that because that was just like me! (although not with the going outside and open spaces) And I haven't looked back for a moment.

All the best with the doctor's appointment - let us know how you get on ok?

Pleased to meet you!

:)

Lindalou64
19-01-08, 01:16
HELLO TONY AND WELCOME TO THE SITE...I WISH YA WELL.......LINDA

nomorepanic
19-01-08, 17:21
Hi Tony and :welcome:

You will meet some lovely people here and get some great support.