PDA

View Full Version : art therapy

sherdac
19-01-08, 10:30
Hi i am interested to see if anybody has done any art therapy. i have just started seeing a cpn and met the art therapist person. it was a shock because i thought i was just meeting him but i was taken into a room and had to draw a picture. i just felt like crying. when i got home i could not stop crying. is this normal and has anyone else experienced the same thing. thanks sheree

decca
19-01-08, 10:41
I've never actually had this but my therapist has advised me to do something creative, apparently it involves the part of the brain that over rides panic,stress and tension.
I wonder if this is what they were trying to do for you but didn't explain it.
Decca

Oceanblue
19-01-08, 15:13
Hi,

I had Art Therapy Sessions whilst I was in Hospital stay two years ago, and what you have described is very normal to me.

While I painted many pictures I could not stop crying. It helps to release inner feelings through expressing yourself onto paper and I feel it's a brilliant therapy that's used. Especially for those who are finding it hard to talk about past experiences or traumatic events.

As each drawing, painting you make, each day,.. each week,.. your mood should start to lift. But this can take time, depending on your experiences and why you are there.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. x

sherdac
19-01-08, 16:33
Hi thanks for replies. i am there for very severe anxiety that is with me 24/7. when i was there i just could not concentrate and my eyes were blurry. i have really no concentration at minute that is what is getting me down at the moment.

blackie
20-01-08, 12:06
Hiya
Sorry to hear your having a tough time at the moment. I have taken part in art therpy when i was in hospital too. Not everyone gets on with it but i quite enjoyed it. Sometimes i would draw things to try and express myself and sometimes just mucked about with things like clay to have abit of relaxation and destraction. Also has a great calming effect.
Can you talk to the person who runs it and explain your worries? He will be able to tell you more about it. Its hard when you have no concentration. i found the best way to deal with that is not to force it. When i made myself concentrate i just grew frustated and upset. Is there anything you find relaxing? That can help alot.
Take care hun
Blackie

Gryphoenix
22-01-08, 00:50
As an artist, I'm not sure what I would consider what I do quite a bit therapy, but it would be great if it is, cause I'm always drawing here and there!

Actually I use the logical side of my brain quite a bit when I draw (proportions, angles) and have such a need to get it 'perfect' I get tense and it's not that relaxing at all.

But when I just let go and use the 'right' side of my brain or at least the creative non-logical side, I get what you all are talking about. When I don't think about what I'm drawing and I just go at it, everything's freed up and I can lose hours having a good time.

I need more of those kinds of drawings instead of the rather stressful other kind. :D