PDA

View Full Version : Ive found a way and its working for me

journeyman
20-01-08, 18:34
I dont know if this will work for anybody else? But its working for me.

When i find my self in a place of anxiety, I Talk to my subconsious, for examble i was in the supermarket and i could feel a panic coming on, so i told my self -- (This is a not a life threaterning situation, its actually a very comfotable place to be and i really enjoy being here, its a very calming place for me) at the time my anxiety doesnt subside at all , this is not a coping technique for me, How ever i continued to do this every time i found anxiety coming on, for example I did this the next three times at the supermarket and three times i felt anxious then the next time i was there the supermarket became a comfotable place to be. Ive been doing this for about 30 days and dont have any Anxiety anymore in these places. . I still have places to visit which might cause anxiety, However i will just tell my subconcious the TRUTH that im not in a life threating place and this is not appropriate panic time, I Know it wont stop my Anxiety there and then. But it wont take many times. I dont think throwing your self in the deep end is the best way but repatition will eventually reprogram your mind. ps very important when i was very anxious at the time I only told my subconcious the possitive, I never said things like I dont like this or im scared , even though i was .

Hope somebody else out there can benefit from this.

bye for now

Stefan P
06-02-08, 11:43
I had a little therapy recently (which I don't think worked) where the chap was saying something similar. In essence, you are reprogramming your mind to think differently in situations, and it is indeed supposed to work well. I have had a small success here and there with, changing negative thoughts into positive ones - and you are right, it does take two or three goes at it, but it does seem to work ok.

It's also good to enjoy some small successes first before throwing yourself into a situation that you know will make you anxious - in one example, I had a thought that was not pleasant, but I was able (during the bike ride to work!) to reprogram it, so that when the thought entered my head again, it immediately changed to a more pleasant image, and eventually the negative image went away altogether and hasn't bothered me since.

BFG
11-02-08, 12:25
I found a very similar thing. I tend to treat anx as an alien invading my body.
I talk to it too but I actually egg it on. It was hard to do at first but as soon as I found an attack coming on, I would say ok, you are making my heart race, making me dizzy, hyperventilate, pains, the band across my chest.... What else can you do?"
I had health Anx all the time and for me this was a bit of a breakthrough.
The first couple of times I felt very bad but every time I did it....and survived...it dissipated a little bit so that the next time wasn't quite so bad.

I also found that when at home, if an pa came on I would jump in the shower or read a book, just something that is normal for me (rather than pacing around wondering if I should call an ambulance!) and think ok, I am having a panic attack but I know from the past that they wont kill me, I have to carry on.

It is easier said than done, I know, but my point is that at least you know someone who has managed to control pa this way...and I hope it gives you some added strength.

Tom_M
12-02-08, 00:37
Panic attacks usually rely on a continues loop between mind and body - your thoughts set your body off, then the way your body feels frightens you even more, which then sets off a vicious cycle. You can break the cycle, either by controlling your mind or your body, or better still both. Thought blocking, thought switching, or meditation can control the thoughts, whereas controlling your breathing usually slows the body down. It does work, but you have to learn how to do it properly.

Lilith1980
12-02-08, 14:41
I definitely agree that you can reprogramme your mind in the way it thinks.

If your mind is powerful enough to absorb things like when we continuously self-criticise or keep calling ourselves worthless etc, then it can certainly respond to us talking to it in a more positive way.

Jo xxxxx

MikesP
18-02-08, 03:38
Interesting method, I will try this out as of now.

My current method usually involved me just thinking 'shut the **** up.' Probably sounds like Im quite buzzed off about my anxiety! Dont know how I came to be trying that one out, but it never worked to good, just gets me more riled up than anything, maybe. Maybe something a little less rude and with more depth like this might do the trick!

I'll post back here in the near future, thanks for sharing! :)