PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam

decca
20-01-08, 20:27
Is being stuck on Diazepam such a bad thing if they help you get on with life ?
I was given 2.5 mg Diazepam back in September along with Citalopram,don't want to take the Citalopram because of the side effects especially the effects on the heart, got enough problems with mine already.
I've tried CTB ,but it hasn't done much really,it helped for a while but mornings have gone back to being horrible,really tense from inside to out and restless,It goes as the day progresses but it's not nice for the first few hours.
Decca

PUGLETMUM
20-01-08, 21:04
hi, i have the same thing with the mornings being worse, although if the anx is bad it can last all day. anyway the thing with diazepam is it would be great if it still worked at the same dose long term, but it doesnt. which is why ppl have probs with it. also if your using it to face your fears, you arent actually facing them. ive got 15 5mg tabs, still in my drawer since april 07, and im still saying if it gets sooooo bad i will take them,but i find other ways of getting thru - some are equally as ineffective, but still thats just me. they do help but they are addictive, so thats the problem with them.

chloe555
20-01-08, 21:05
hi decca

i take diazepam 5mg and it helps me so much.The only thing is if you suffer with depression it can make it worse if you take it a lot and also it is addictive. i take it now and then when im feeling really bad but not everyday.Also if you take it to much You build a tolerance to it and have to take a higher dose to get the same effect. So my advice would be just take it know and then when you are finding it really difficult to cope

chloe xxx

Richie
20-01-08, 21:18
Yep agree with the above, it helps so much in the short term, but in the long run its a definate no no. !! Have to say though that coming off antidepressents especially seroxat and the like is far worse than tranquillisers. THe physical side effects of anti depressents are like you are dying but valium etc oddly have none!!
Richie xx

decca
20-01-08, 21:57
Thanks guys,
It's basically what I've been thinking anyway, it's just that I'd really welcome a bit of relief from this early morning tension thing.My therapist didn't think I was depressed last week when I saw him just suffering from anxiety.
The therapy was organised by my employer and is coming to an end now that I've decided to take voluntary retirement.
I spose that could be making things worse at the moment,just wondering if I'm doing the right thing.
Cheers
Decca

decca
20-01-08, 22:02
Richie,
Is there really no side effects of stopping valium ?
Decca

chloe555
20-01-08, 22:54
Yes there is a lot of side effects coming off valium.But only if you have been taking it for a long time and everyday.Have a look on google to get some info on it.I hate mornings too they are the worst for me

chloe xxx

decca
20-01-08, 22:59
Thanks Chloe xxx ( lol )
what are you symptoms in the mornings.
Decca

Richie
20-01-08, 23:01
Sorry Decca i meant to say that from my own experiences. ALOT of people find it terrible to come off valium ive only ever had lorazepam so i wouldn't be sure that the side effects are the same. i was taking high doses of lorazepam and recently cut down to a minimum that was over 4 yrs. Oddly and i do say oddly the only side effect has been of a psychological nature rather than physical.
Richir xxxxxxxxx

decca
20-01-08, 23:18
No probs Rich, I just wonder if the trade off might be worth it.
Decca.

chloe555
20-01-08, 23:23
decca
When i wake up i feel awful stomach churning, bit shakey,thoughts racing.dont wanna get up feel like hiding under the covers but that makes you feel worse.Find it very hard to get motivated.

chloe xxx

decca
20-01-08, 23:32
Yea, I feel tense,like adrenaline rushing through my stomach to my muscles.
Decca

chloe555
20-01-08, 23:43
Yea i know the feeling too well!How long have you had anxiety?

chloe xxx

decca
20-01-08, 23:56
Since about june last year, not diagnosed 'til November.Started off with work related stress which caused a series of health problems which gradually became worse,then I developed health anxiety,then general anxiety.
Decca.

Phill2
21-01-08, 03:31
I've been taking 5mg twice daily for 4 years now with no ill effects.
My Doc who is also a sufferer has told me that the only 2 legitimate reasons to take it long term are anxiety or as a muscle relaxant.
As far as having to keep increasing the dose to get the desired effect I couldn't disagree more.
Phill :shades:

decca
21-01-08, 10:42
Thanks Phill2, That's encouraging.
Decca.