PDA

View Full Version : Starting citalapram

decca
20-01-08, 22:45
Is there anyone that's just started taking citalapram ?
Could you please let us know how it effected you -
Decca.

doglover
20-01-08, 23:13
Hi Decca
Im 3 1/2 weeks in. Felt really bad the first 2 weeks. Very anxious (although i suppose i was already), could not relax at all, kept feeling panicky but havent had a full panic attack since i started them.
After 2 weeks felt much improved, went back to work etc. I have had the occasional blip but overall would recommend it. Incidentally, i was on them for a few months about a year ago and had no side effects either when i started or came off them.
Donna x

Allye
21-01-08, 11:13
Hi Decca

I started on 10 mg boxing day rising to 20mg (the full dose for me) last week.

I had virtually no side effects on 10 mg (but then I was on holiday so relaxed anyway). I upped to 20mg when I came back to work as this is where my anxiety lies.

On 20 mg I have had some side effects.

My anxiety levels I feel increased initially but then it is difficult to separate what has happened to what would have happened in any event;
I have also had some minor tremors in my hands – I am however also learning to relax through a relaxation CD so part of this could be that my body is learning to relax for the first time;
For a couple of days I felt as if I had electricity flowing all the way through my body, especially affecting my legs;
I have had some trouble sleeping but part of that I think is that I tend to scan my body all the time for worrying things.
Overall however the side effects to date have not been that bad. In terms of how I feel, I do still feel anxious but I kind of don’t care (does that make sense). I have not had a full blown panic attack since I started to take them, just minor blips now and then. I still feel “unwell” and “anxious” at work, but that is probably because I am suffering from stress-boredom and spend far too much time pondering and scanning my body. The symptoms more or less go away at the weekend.

In terms of depression, I could not get out of bed for work and used to have hysterics on the way as well as full blown PAs. This is all lifting slowly but surely although I still feel like crying sometimes.

As I mentioned before I am also using a relaxation CD in the evenings and am also having a second course of CBT (my next appointment is February as I am paying for private therapy and can only afford once a month).

Let us know how you are getting on!!!

ladygrom
21-01-08, 11:31
hya decca i started citalopram on 10mg at first then after 2 weeks doc upped it to 20mg i felt my anxiety levels rise on 20mg for the first 2 to 3 weeks then it settled bit then doc put me on 30mg a fortnight later which i fount didnt suit me so i carried on with 20ml 10mg in the morning 10mg at night i was on them for 6 months and they realy helped me with anxiety ive been off them for 3 weeks now let me no how you goin on with them cuz i fount they realy helped me .tc elaine x

runningman
21-01-08, 15:37
hi decca , been on it for nearly 5 weeks now , at first i felt crap, dry mouth , tiredness, nausea and other minor side effects, settling down after a bit and feeling a lot better.
stick with it and dont be afraid to ask a question
:yesyes:

decca
21-01-08, 20:36
Thanks everyone for your contibutions, I just thought it would be good to show people the positive side.
Cheers
Decca.