PDA

View Full Version : going through hell

Neilr1978
21-01-08, 10:03
Ive just been put on 50 mg of sertraline 6 days ago ,and i most say im going through hell.I know it can take a while for the side effects to go but i think these are quite bad i have:

tremors
feeling spaced out
more panic and anxiety
tight heavy chest
clenching teeth
headaches
feeling sick
sometimes hard to focus

Has anyone else gone through the same kind of side effects and how long did they take to wear off?

joy
21-01-08, 10:24
Why are you taking it is it for depression or anxiety or both?
Most side effects should go after a couple of weeks but docs say it gets worse before the goos effect starts.
If worried talk to your doc again

Joy

Neilr1978
21-01-08, 10:29
Why are you taking it is it for depression or anxiety or both?
Most side effects should go after a couple of weeks but docs say it gets worse before the goos effect starts.
If worried talk to your doc again

Joy

sorry joy im taking it more for anxiety than depression although sometimes the anxiety makes me feel a bit down

joy
21-01-08, 12:56
Me too but I'm nearly six weeks in and so far no good effects as yet hope you get on better

Joy

MessedUp
21-01-08, 18:05
My doc said to ramp it up from a low dose at first - have you gone straight onto 50mg?
Sounds like a nightmare, you're really not selling me the idea! Mine are staying in my pocket for now.
Good luck

Neilr1978
21-01-08, 19:31
My doc said to ramp it up from a low dose at first - have you gone straight onto 50mg?
Sounds like a nightmare, you're really not selling me the idea! Mine are staying in my pocket for now.
Good luck

Yeah messed up i went straight onto 50 mg,what dosage did you get??

I have stopped taking the tablets after 6 days, id rather be the way i was before than live through this nightmare.The meds have made me clench my teeth so hard i can hardly eat because my mouth and gums are so sore.Also i was feeling so off my head its not funny.On day four i was pacing around at 3am for 3 hrs because i could not sit still and kept feeling i was gonna pass out!!!!

MessedUp
22-01-08, 10:30
my doc said to break up the 50mg pills into halves or even quarters if I was that nervous about starting them.

Neilr1978
22-01-08, 12:27
Been to see my G.P. and told her what i was going through on 50mg of sertraline she the said she wants me to come off the tablets and put me on something else and then wanted to feel my pulse!!.

joy
22-01-08, 13:19
So what has she put you on???

Love Joy

Neilr1978
22-01-08, 13:53
She wants me to wait until monday to let this drug get out of my system then start taking 20 mg of paroxetine(seroxat).I have read good and bad things on this new one including killer withdrawl symptoms, so i dont know if im gonna start them or not.:shrug: :shrug:

joy
22-01-08, 14:15
seroxat is a brilliant med for many its just when you want to come there may be probs but dont worry about that for the moment just concentrate on getting better

joy

nickieb
29-05-08, 20:33
Oh my god i had serotonin syndrome after 7 days of taking sertraline, neil this sounds like what you had.
I was terrible on it, anxiety tripled & had tremours, nausea, diarohea and well i felt so ill. after a week i had to come off it as i felt worse....never again!!

I now use a herbal rememdy which has been amazing!

joy
30-05-08, 14:42
nd the amazing herbal stuff is????????

Joy

decca
30-05-08, 15:53
I think I'd rather stick to Diazepam and try to keep on low doses.All the AD's I've read about on here seem to have horrible side efects.
Decca.

franklin2003
01-06-08, 07:30
I've been on Zoloft for 7 weeks now, started out at 25 MG for one week then up to 50 MG. Side effects were pretty minimal and didn't bother me one bit. The panic attacks ended after about 2 weeks, but the underlying anxiety remained (but not even near as bad as it was before) and my doctor bumped me up to 100 MG three days ago. Some mild side effects again, but things I can live with, the doctor has also given me Ativan which helps when starting the ADs and they kind of throw your anxiety up a little bit. Ativan knocks it down.

I can say that I have had no negative experience on ADs that even made me consider not taking them. I think sometimes under an anxiety state people can blame the pills on their feelings, when often they are just ramping up the anxiety. I would say stay on them for a month. Then go from there.

Tani
02-06-08, 21:16
I don't understand, am I in the wrong forum? I have only good things to say about Zoloft (Sertraline)

I have been on Sertraline for two years or more now. I have had no really bad side effects. I feel it has saved my marriage and my life. My symptoms were obsessive thoughts, depression, paranoia and terrible premenstrual symptoms. I tried everything, therapy, different diets, meditation, yoga, alternative therapies...but the fact is, I had an abusive childhood which did something to my brain chemistry due to stress. And then in my mid forties went thru a terrible grief stricken event...(causing post traumatic stress disorder, reliving that event over and over) adding to that stress..I have had therapy, I know why I react to situations, but can I change these thought patterns without medication? I don't think so. I have accepted this, and realised I needed help. For the first time in my life I feel what most "normal" people feel like. No paranoia, no compulsive thinking. My doctor feels I need to be on it for the rest of my life. That's okay with me. However, I will say, that I do not have the motivation to accomplish huge things, like I used to want to do in an almost obsessive way. Is that a bad reaction? I don't know. I am willing to accept that just to feel normal again. I feel contentment for the first time in my life.

But what the hay, I don't want to be a victim, but I don't want to have to work so hard to just feel normal again.

If I wasn't on Sertraline, being the person I am, after reading some of these strings, I would obsess over whether or not I should be on it! I would think that I should be drug free and that I am not perfect, etc. etc. etc., and would never try it! What a shame that would be...I dread to think what would have happened to me 2 years ago if I didn't get on Zoloft at that time!

For me, I have no adverse reactions to this drug. In fact, I felt better almost 3 days after I started taking it. I even lost those extra few pounds. Perhaps it just works differently for each individual's chemistry.

I can only advise from my experience. If you had a traumatic childhood, or recent traumatic or catastrophic event, why not be easy on yourself, give yourself a break and talk to your doctor about the best medication for your body chemistry?

If anyone has been thru a similar situation, I would love to know, and if you have attained contentment and inner peace without drugs after being thru a catastrophic events, then let me know. I would be inspired to know how you adjusted your brain not to panic, obsess and compulsively view life.

God Bless!

joy
03-06-08, 13:25
May I ask what dosage you are on

Joy

Tani
06-06-08, 07:20
100 mill

Will start to reduce to 50 every other day.

popsy
06-06-08, 22:44
I am on Seroxat and ive read all the stuff people say about coming off it, but ive come off it slowly before and was fine, as long as you do it very slowley as with all AD's. Personally id get on it and concentrate on getting better, its really helped me, excellent for anxiety, dont know where id be now without it! (used diaz as well while waiting for ad's to start kicking in which really helped too).

tafflass
04-07-08, 16:30
Ive just been put on 50 mg of sertraline 6 days ago ,and i most say im going through hell.I know it can take a while for the side effects to go but i think these are quite bad i have:

tremors
feeling spaced out
more panic and anxiety
tight heavy chest
clenching teeth
headaches
feeling sick
sometimes hard to focus

Has anyone else gone through the same kind of side effects and how long did they take to wear off?

hi im tafflass
new member, hi, ive been on sertraline for 2 years, had some awful side effects for the first 2 weeks or so, mainly what you have described in your post, i also found i just could not sleep, so i started taking it before bed, was loads better. i went up to 100mls and had the same all over again, i went through hell to i was crawling the walls its not nice atall. bear with it, im in thearapy for panic and not being able to go out, it is helping me alot, i am actualy down to half of a 50ml sert a day now and yes feeling better, i have been like this for 16 years and just thought i cannot live the rest of my life in fear and hiding away from the world, so i made myself do things for me atleast once or twice a week, i go swimming and go to places wear i know it is quiet so i can get out a bit more.
you will get better believe in yourself it took me such a long time, i do still have panic attacks atleast twice a day some days and it leaves me exausted, but ive got it into my head its not gona beet me no more, this is my life and i want to enjoy it, i wish you good luck post or email me anytime tafflass:welcome:

BexieB
16-08-08, 13:04
Neil,

If you're still posting, now are you doing on the seroxat?

Neilr1978
03-09-08, 02:43
sorry it took so long to reply, im not going through the hell that i was with setraline but i think im find the new meds are starting not to work