PDA

View Full Version : Well on my way to beating this

sarah
05-03-05, 12:39
Hi all

Im sorry ive been neglecting you all, I read every post but have been too wrapped up in myself to post any replies.
Well finally im ready to post a sucess story of my own and its a biggie!!

Brief rundown of my life as a panic nutter for those of you who dont know me

June 2002 - 1st massive panic on holiday with the girls. Ambulance was called, nice paramedics put me to bed after giving me gas and air to shut me up..lol

Friend drove me home, went to bed and I didnt leave my bedroom for 3 weeks. couldnt eat (lost weight - great) smelt bad - not so great. was off work for 6 weeks. Doctor diagnosed panic attacks and put me on SSRI's

August 2002 - back to work very wobbly and panicky but slowly got better.

January 2003 - they closed work down so I was made redundant.
Here kicks in the agoraphobia. Didnt leave the house for about 6 months.

July 2003 - started 10 weeks of CBT. started to leave the house a bit more but still wouldnt go out in the evening, go shopping etc. couldnt face looking for a job.

December 2003 - Agoraphobia again

July 2004 - Offered a job by a good friend i worked with before. I trusted her and she helped me in the past so I took her up on it. It was really hard, spent the first 3 weeks panicking every day and feeling like i was going to pass out (you all know the drill). The longer I did it the better I felt though!!!!

September 2004 - Friend I worked with told me about a new business being set up in London - would be perfect for me if only I could get there - was I interested? Ok so I met with potential new boss for an informal interview ( shaking and quivering the whole way through.)
I was totally honest at the interview told her the WHOLE story and how it affected my daily life...still get panic attacks, frightened of trains/buses/tubes etc. She was great and totally understanding but didnt think i was going to get the job but at least i was honest eh?

October 2004 - I GOT THE JOB!!!! She liked my CV, i came across as someone she could work with, she would help and support me with my panic attacks!!! WOW I accepted the job straight away then bricked it that I couldnt do it especially as it meant travelling into London on thrain/tube every day!

7th February 2005 - Started new job.

Ive been in my new job for a month now. Most of it has been working from home writing policies, procedures and training manuals (yawn..lol)
BUT I have had to 'do lunch' with varoius drug reps to negociate prices and ive gone thorugh them fine (wobbly but no one noticed!!!!). Ive had meetings with my co-workers which has gone good and yesterday I had my 1st meeting in London. Needless to say I was terrified I was going to fail miserably but it was great. Ive worked out how to get to central london by just going on the train and bus and missing out the tube (not ready for tubes yet..lol)
Our new premises arent fully refurbished yet but I went round the 'building site' and had a look at the progress and now im really excited - thats got to be a first for me in a long time!!!!

Best of all 'top shop' is only a 5 minute walk away from work in oxford circus and they are open till 9pm on a thursday...LOL and 'John Lewis is even closer!!!!

I hope none of you have fallen aslepp by now with my rambling but I wanted to post this to firstly affirm to myself how far ive come and also to show you guys that panic isnt necessarily the end of the world. Ive gone from 'life and soul of the party' to complete agoraphobic and slowly the old me is coming back and I like it!

I do still get panic attacks but mainly just anxiety and dizzyness.
Im still on medication (Citalopram) but im hoping to come off later this year when im settled in my new job. I still dont like going out much but its getting better each day. (after yesterdays success im on cloud 9 today and feel i could tackle the world).

Im not 'cured' but im a darn site closer than ive ever been before!

take care all

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

nomorepanic
05-03-05, 12:47
Hiya Sarah

Me and Meg were talking about you the other day and wondered how things were going [8D]

So pleased to hear that things are on the up for you again and that the job is going well. [:P]

We must all get together again this coming summer and have a good catch up on life etc.

I am so pleased you are back on top of it again and well done for the trains and buses.

xxx

Nicola

seh1980
05-03-05, 12:48
[Wow!] Sarah - this is great news!! You have done very well by taking on this challenge and it seems to have done you and your confidence a lot of good. Well done mate!! It just goes to show what we can achieve if we really try..

Sarah :D

lainey
05-03-05, 12:55
Hi Sarah

What brilliant news, i'm so happy for you, you really deserve this big time!
You have done so well to come through all this.

Big hug

Take care

Elaine x

Meg
05-03-05, 13:19
Sarah,

Having watched you improve over the last year or so, I wanted to add my congratulations to all the others.

You have worked so hard at getting over this and have done soo well ..

Well done Sarah

Love and all best wishes

Meg

bluebottle
05-03-05, 13:44
You go girlfriend! :D

Regards,

Blue
--

sal
05-03-05, 13:56
Hi Sarah

You are living proof it can be done however tough it gets. You have done so well and i am so pleased you are really enjoying your job. You deserve all the luck you can get.

So nearly back to the life and soul of the party, thats great. Like Nic says it would be great to meet up when the weather gets a bit nicer. We could always land on Nics door step again, im sure she wouldnt mind LOL

Keep it up and well done you.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

FAN
05-03-05, 16:20
brilliant news that you have done it......inspiration for everyone

fan x

Karen
05-03-05, 16:33
Many congratulations and well done Sarah. You've done so well. I'm glad the job is going so well and you are continuing to improve all the time.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

jill
06-03-05, 20:15
[Wow!] Sarah you are doing soooo well.
A big WELL DONE to you.

LOVE JILLXXXX

sarah
06-03-05, 20:59
hi Guys

thanks soooo much for your words.

No one I know in my daily life knows how much of a struggle it has been and still is some days, its great to let it out to people who 'get it'

I dont want to write an 'oscar acceptance' speech and thank all the people who have helped me as its been a lucky combination of things that have got me this far but you guys are by far at the top of my list!!!!!

Yep - im definately up for a meet and gossip this summer - it would be great to see you all again - and maybe some new faces too?

Thankyou

Sarah
xxxx

sal
06-03-05, 22:43
Hi Sarah

You really have done so well and you have showed us all how it is done. I remeber talking to you at Nics and i then was so much into how i cant tell people about my evil thoughts and you made me feel so relaxed and with Meg and Nic made me realise it was normal.

You three have been a life line to me and i do hope we can all get together soon. Words honestly couldnt thank either one of you enough but you gave me the reason to fight it and believe in myself.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

nomorepanic
07-03-05, 19:19
Sal

We had a great afternoon that day and I am sure we can do another one soon - wherever in the country that may be!

Once the weather gets nicer eh?

Nicola

sal
07-03-05, 23:11
Hi Nic

Hope we can as we did have a really good day and i sensed no anxiety was around at all.

Cured each other. But would like to do it again, would do it up at mine but not sure people would travel that far been a northerner. We will have to set a date and make sure that plenty of us get together.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

sarah
07-03-05, 23:52
Im volunteering Nic's place...lol

Well it is in the middle...lol

Yes you are right Sal, I didnt sense any anxiety either. Maybe because we all knew exactly how everyone else was feeling so it didnt matter if we looked like planks...we were hardly gonna laugh at each other were we..lol

Arrgghh bedtime..ive got a big meeting with an important person tomorrow on my own in a strange place not close to home...someone find me an excuse to get out of it please!!!!!!

love Sarah
xx

sal
08-03-05, 09:19
Hi Sarah

You dont need an excuse to get out of the meeting you will be fine!!!

Hope you have a good day.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

sarah
08-03-05, 19:32
thanks Sal

i was fine..more than fine in fact..I smiled all the way home :)

love Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
08-03-05, 19:59
Well done Sarah

I am sure Meg will offer her place as well so we can have 2 if necessary. I am quite happy for you all to come here as long as you don't eat Alex's corned beef!!!

Nicola

Meg
08-03-05, 20:01
Nice one Sarah - again !!!

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

sal
08-03-05, 20:22
See Sarah had every faith in you, pleased it went well.

I would have one up here but im a bit too far up unless you do a car share on the way up, you are more than welcome.

God Nic if we come to yours i will especially come laiden with tescos finest corned beef!!! Ill even make Alex a corned beef stew!!!!

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

Karen
08-03-05, 21:57
Good one Sarah. Well done!

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

lainey
09-03-05, 12:30
Well done Sarah

Elaine x

sarah
24-03-05, 18:16
Hiya

Well Ive got an update for you all.

After posting origionally ive had a few wobbles, nothing too serious but just depersonalisation when sitting in meetings, that kind of thing. Not serious I say but enough for me to strongly consider bolting out of the door and never going back[:P]

Anyways, as ive been working from home mostly (as they are still refurbishing the building) now has come the crunch time where ive had more and more meetings up in London. It takes me nearly 2 hours to get there because I refuse to try getting on the tube yet and undoing all the progress I have made.

I had my biggest meeting yesterday when all the staff including the chief exec and the 4 partners were there. I had to give a presentation on how I was doing with setting up my department and commisioning and valiation plans (its a cancer clinic for those of you who dont know).
My bit was last on the agenda so I had all day to squirm in my seat (which I would have done even if I hadnt had to give a talk..lol)

i gave my talk, no palpitations, no panic, no nothing, just a good sense of achievement that I had done it. I felt on top of the world and even went to a dreaded pub with a couple of others afterwards.

I left my house at 6:30 am and got home at 8pm.
If anyone had told me a year ago that I would be doing this I would have laughed and hid under my duvet in horror. previously I couldnt have even walked to the end of my road without nearly having a breakdown..lol

What a difference time can make!!!

My mum phoned me today to ask how im getting on because she has suffered from panic and agoraphobia since I was about 10 (im now 31) and my nan was completely agoraphobic for the last 45 years of her life so mum knows exactly how hard it is for people like us and she told me that she was soo very proud of me and that she could never have done anything like this at at all.

Most of all I have just come back from another meeting with the rest of the staff and we have has a real laugh today, its been great.
It just brings home how much interaction with other people is so important. I havent laughed so much in ages and I never laughed when I was sitting at home alone for months on end afraid to leave the house.

i am a smiley bunny today :D

love Sarah
xxxxx

nomorepanic
24-03-05, 20:11
Hi Sarah

I wondered how you were doing :)

Great news and again I am so proud of you for all you have done and achieved to date.

We are going to have another meet up this summer so I hope you can make it then I can give you a real hug.

Chuffed for you mate.

Keep it up!!!![Yeah!]

Nicola

sarah
24-03-05, 21:37
Hiya Nic

thanks hon

definately up for this meet this summer, its been too long since ive seen you all!!!!

take care mate

Sarah
xx

Karen
24-03-05, 21:43
Hi Sarah

Well done again! You have achieved so much and it is great to see that you are doing so well.

Karen

sal
24-03-05, 21:47
Hi Sarah

It was great to read your post and see how well you are getting on. Doing a presentation would nerve the most confident but you got up there and did it.

Doesnt it show how much time can be a healer and that we all have it in us.

You have done brilliantly and reading your posts is like you are new and a lot happier person.

Cant wait to see you in the summer when we have a meet up.

Well done mate.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.