PDA

View Full Version : day 6 on Citalopram

anxiouschick
22-01-08, 13:45
Hi Have just started on it and am feeling rubbish. Felt ok for the first few days, and now it seems like the more I take, the worse I feel. I feel depressed, very anxious and nervous. Also, shattered.
Is it normal to feel worse the more tablets you take?
Have got some diazepam to take if things get really desperate.
Thanks

bottleblond
22-01-08, 14:02
Hi Anxious,

Some medications do make you feel worse before you feel better, aslo alot of medications used for anxiety can take a few weeks to work into your system and begin to take effect. If you continue to feel rubbish then maybe have a word with your doctor but if you can, try to stick it out as it's probably just a side effect that will ware off soon.

Take care
Lisa
xxxx

Allye
22-01-08, 14:07
I agree with bottleblond. Look at the post below I have posted some of my side effects. You should tell the doctor but also try telling yourself that they are only side effects. What dosage are you on. I started at 10 mg rising to 20 mg.

anxiouschick
22-01-08, 17:06
Thanks for your posts.
I'm only on 10mg. Don't know if I can hack this terrible anxiety. Feel worse than ever and have really tight chest coz feel like I can't breathe properley.
Anxious

AnxAndy
22-01-08, 17:25
Hiya Anx, I had same side effects on Citalopram, couldnt believe meds for anxiety actually made me more anxious! I do believe if you can stick it out the effects should clear after a couple of weeks and hopefully you'll get some real benefit. Personally I couldnt stand the added pressure so doc switched me to Setraline which is known to be a bit more 'sedative'... alas these did not seem to work either! so here I am settled on good old prozac which DOES seem to work for me with little or no side effects.... I guess what Im getting at is stick it if you can but if not dont be afraid to try others (with your docs agreement of course!), cos everyones different and reacts differently. i hope you'll find the right one for you!

Cheers,
AnxAndy :yesyes:

Tom_M
22-01-08, 17:32
The initial side effects will go away in a couple of weeks. For some people, the initial side effects of antidepressants are horrendous. I'm one of these unlucky ones that go through hell when taking antidepressants. Panic attacks every night for the first two weeks, and the depression is unbearable. But eventually after two or three weeks, I just wake up feeling great. The medication that I've used in the past as always been Anafranil (clomipramine), which as always worked for me - even though I've been on and off it over six times.

joannap
22-01-08, 20:22
hi. it is very normal to feel like this - especially with citalopram it seems. i felt terrible for 2 weeks - i didn't wake up feeling great one day but have gradually over a period of months started to feel a lot better although i made the mistake of thinking my anxiety would totally disappear - it hasn't - it just makes the symptoms more manageable while you work out how to deal with it yourself. x

doglover
22-01-08, 21:31
Hi
Dont give up on them. I felt terrible for about 2 weeks, could barely leave the house. Been on them a month now and can feel the benefits although i think it will take a while longer to feel the full effects but there is a definate improvement in my panicky feelings.
Good luck
Donna