PDA

View Full Version : dentist

Coni
22-01-08, 20:11
I know this is probably no big deal but today I went to the dentist...for the first time in a few years. I am terrified of the dentist but was changing dentisits for my kids and husband and before I knew it the receptionist had given me an appointment for myself.

Ive been feeling sick all day thinking about it, couldnt even bring myself to talk about it, but I went....wanted to run from the waiting room but didnt....the dentist was lovely....he could see how scared I was....but actually took the time to speak to me first to try and find out what I was really frightened of.

It was only an examination, but i did manage to sit through it and he said my teeth arent too bad considering Ive not been for so long.

He did say he thought I was dental phobic....I thought i was just a bit scared lol...but now I have to decide what I want to do.

I have the option of being sedated for treatment but that would involve travelling and being accompanied each time and he says would get me easily through the treatment but wouldnt do anything to help alleviate my fears...even though its very tempting.

Or I can try being a 'normal' patient...but he doesnt know if that will work as I was very tense and slightly jumpy during the examination (almost ended up of the chair and in his lap :blush: ...and not good to be jumpy with a bloomin great drill in your mouth I suppose).

Or I can be treated privately and he can then spend more time talking me through each part of the treatment (a luxury for which I would have to pay extra obviously).

So now I have to think about my options.....obviously I wouldve liked him to say teeth fine dont come back for six months but clearly thats not happening...so now I dont know....anyone got any ideas or thoughts?

That aside Im dead chuffed with myself for even sitting through a check up.

luv Coni XX

kazzie
22-01-08, 20:16
WELL DONE CONI:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

sagey
22-01-08, 22:08
Well done coni, you're a star! I have a dental phobia and badly need to visit but I'm agorophobic right now so God knows what will happen to me!
I've read about Dental sedation and people seem to think very highly of it. I'd definately have it if I ever get the chance. I think you'll find the dental instruments are very refined these days and the Dentists work as rapidly as possible. For myself I also think going private is a good idea because I would want constant updates on what was being done and fairly precise times for each procedure so that I could count down in my head, knowing when it was likely to end. Good luck in whatever you decide. Sagey

margaret911
22-01-08, 22:55
Well done Coni, if you have done it once you can do it again. Good luck.
love Mags xxx

groovygranny
22-01-08, 23:23
Coni,

You is truly the bizz you is!! http://iesmileys.com/img/party/iesmileys1439.gif (http://iesmileys.com/)

I know that is such a huge achievement -

How about if someone accompanies you when you next go for treatment?

I know when I had an abcess and had to have a lot of work done I dragged me poor dahling hubby along - most of the time he sat in the waiting room.

But on the day the dentist had to excavate with a drill he'd hired from one of the north-sea oile rigs:ohmy: , he was allowed to sit in the treatment room. :blush:

I tell you, it really did make a difference to me - just the thought of having someone there, even in the waiting room, helped me to keep the lid on things.

I'm wracked with nerves every single time I go - even for a check up, so I know how you feel love.

I'm sure if you have a word with your dentist he wouldn't object to somebody coming with you for support.

http://th185.photobucket.com/albums/x116/Mics_chick/th_WellDone3.gif

loads of luv and hugs xxx xxx xxx

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

:flowers:

Coni
22-01-08, 23:29
Thank you guys....has anyone had sedation then? Or would that be me wimping out...Id have to go into Glasgow for that and that has issues for me too....what am I like lol!

GG I took hubby last time I had an abscess....and ended up blubbing like a baby in the waiting room....and that was before I even got in the chair lol...very attractive....i had to have the tooth out cos the dentist refused to do root treatment...said I wasnt a 'good candidate' on account of me jumping every time she came near me (the shame of it !)

Anyway thank you all....i am secretly pleased even though I know I need to go back.....watch this space lol

luv Coni XX

Bill
23-01-08, 01:28
Hello Coni,

You say you're secretly pleased.......you should be Very Proud of yourself for what you've achieved today. You stayed, you didn't run and you got through it so you deserve a Big pat on the back!:yesyes:

I was afraid of the dentists for years so I wouldn't go so I can understand your fear. It was only when I lost half a tooth that I Had no choice.

My suggestion would be to take any treatment in stages. He'll give you an injection and won't start work until you can't feel anything so pain shouldn't be an issue.

While he's doing the work, close your eyes and take yourself off to another land and tell him that if you feel start to feel uncomfortable you'll raise your hand. He'll stop so you can take deep breaths to help you relax then when you're ready he'll start again. Take little steps at your pace stopping each time you feel bad. I'm sure he must have treated others who feel the same and he'd be patient.

You could always keep a sedative in reserve as a last resort.

If you can get through it, you'll be able to remind yourself next time that you coped ok so next time you'll know how to cope and so you'll fear it less.

I must admit I jumped in the deep end by having my treatment without injection to prove to myself I had nothing to fear but I wouldn't advise it and nor would I try that again but I do find these days that I'm nearly falling asleep in the chair. Today before I went in I wasn't really thinking about going in which I find amazing considering how I used to be.

I realise it terrifies you but I know with practise the fear can be overcome. I'm sure you'll overcome yours in time too.:hugs:

Coni
24-01-08, 23:18
Thank you Bill, its good to hear how you've managed to overcome your fear though I cant imagine ever being at the stage where I hardly think about it...I think its great that you've managed to achieve that.

I dont think I'm going to go for sedation as I dont feel that I'll ever learn to cope with this if I dont face it head on.....but Im undecided as to whether to pay privately for the time the dentist spends with me......I just want to be NORMAL really and I'm frustrated and ashamed of myself for not being able to cope with this without all the anxiety that goes along with it.

I think I'll take my ipod along next time as the sounds are one of the things that really gets to me so at least that'll be one less thing to worry about....then theres just the pain and feeling out of control and not being able to communicate lol!

My euphoria and elation at getting through the check up have now gone and have been replaced by a whopping great lump of fear again now....but Im determined to face this (especially as I seem to have got away with non attendance for years and my teeth arent too bad).

I'll keep you posted....probably under the title of 'flippin terrified' next time lol!

Wish me luck!

luv Coni XX

bubblestar
26-01-08, 11:59
Hi
i was exactly the same as you, didnt go for a few years then i needed root canal treatment!!
i had the sedation and it is BRILLIANT!! i was anxious before, and mum came with me, but once your in the chair and they give you the sedation you know nothing! such a great feeling too when its starting to wear off cos your half aware of going on but so laid back and chilled out you cant panic. then mum drove me hone and i slept on the sofa for a few hours and woke up fine! just had a sore mouth!
definatley opt for sedation if its offered cos its ideal for people like us.
ive had it twice now, 2nd time was to pull a tooth out, i knew nothing about that either, dont feel a thing!
i can now happily go to the dentist alone for check ups too cos it kinda cured my phobia.
best of luck!

xxx