PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Technique

stucoo
05-03-05, 20:53
Has anyone any experience of the Alexander technique for dealing with anxiety? I had a free lesson recently and the instructor said it can hep to clear your mind

Rennie1989
05-03-05, 21:17
never heard of it, sorry.

Scooter Girl AKA Jade

Meg
05-03-05, 21:58
Hi

Its much better known for balance , posture, coordination back problems, headaches etc but I guess they do breathing and relaxation too which would help .

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

hdouglass
20-03-05, 23:03
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Has anyone any experience of the Alexander technique for dealing with anxiety? I had a free lesson recently and the instructor said it can hep to clear your mind

<div align="right">Originally posted by stucoo - 05 March 2005 : 19:53:29</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

My councellor too has recommended the Alexander technique, so it must help. Only trouble is finding someone who practicies it.

henri
21-03-05, 00:50
meg, is it some form of yoga?

Bearo
20-04-05, 13:28
I can't believe I just typed lots out and did something wrong! Gah!

So I slightly shorted version this time!!

I started the Alexander technique last year due to headaches and problems with posture, it's about thinking before you move, learning how to walk, sit, read without putting pressure and tension on your body.

The fist lessons teach you how to stand up (which sounds strange but makes sense when its explained) there's also a lot of lying on a table with you head raised while the instructor moves your arms and moves their hand over your body looking for tension in your arms/knees etc... It really works though you can feel you're body letting go of tension after a few lessons. I had to stop when I moved job.

Word of warning it is quite expensive I was paying 25 pounds for a 45 minute session.

If anyone has any other questions I can try and answer them...