PDA

View Full Version : Things are finally so much better. It can be done :)

bubblestar
23-01-08, 16:56
Hi Guys

Been such along time since ive posted anything, iv now decided to tell my story in this thread as iv never been able to before!
some may remember iv suffered from anxiety, emetephobia and general panic attacks since i was 14 (now 24). missed alot of school and spent most of my teens jobless and a recluse trying to get by as i could.
tried hypnosis, therap, homeopathy, spiritual healing reiki! everything!!
But aside from all that the way iv found to get my life back is repitition.
It wasnt easy beleive me, and i struggled to the extreme but i knew if i just sat at home and let it get to me nothing was going to change.
I met my boyfriend just over a year ago and he helped me gain the strength and determination to be 'normal'. im not saying im cured. i dont think i ever will be, i like to think of it more as a positive ongoing recovery.
I am now working as an auxillary nurse in a hospital which is something i would never have done with emetaphobia! ive been abroad twice, and spent many weekends away which iv never done before!
i just had to keep at it, not giving in when it got tough and do whatever scares you regularly. its exposure, and that makes it less frightening and then before you know it your doing day to day stuff before you would dread and get in a state over!
so i just wanna give reassure to people that are where i was 18 months-2 years ago and was there for 7 years that there can be light at the end of the tunnel, just keep positive and try something everyday.
i still get the odd bad day but i dont beat myself up about it when i know that its 1 day out of many when before it was the other way around.

Best Wishes to you all and i hope everyone gets aswell as they can be.

Nicci xxx

MessedUp
23-01-08, 17:30
Brilliant! Well done and thanks for sharing your story. :yesyes:

Panicky Me
23-01-08, 17:40
Nicci,

Well Done You! - you should be very proud - its very hard to face something that gives us so much fear. Sounds like you have a very understanding boyfriend, which must have helped you a lot, same with my husband he knows my fears and helps me try to face them and doesnt get angry when I sometimes run from them.

I am currently forcing myself to do things that make me feel awful. In my case I have bad panic attacks on the school run, but no problem at work. So I keep on trying to face them. Im hoping eventually they will l stop, but they always seem to happen just a few minutes from my house - so I keep doing the same walk, repeating it and feeling rubbish and hoping that they will go away and not come back!

Your story is inspiring me and I am sure others to keep trying - you sound like a strong person who has overcome the horrible problem of panic/anxiety.

Well Done to you.

Krissie

beaky
15-11-08, 13:38
Hi,
I cannot believethat someone with emetaphobia can become a nurse, I would love this but cannot imagine it. Well Done. I am68 years old and have suffered from the condition for 60 years. Im have nofear of myself being sick, only other people. The condition broke up my marriage many years ago as I didny have an understanding husband and if he was ever sick, exected me to be there instead of hiding with myfingers in my ears. I have also suffered so much guilt because before my mother died, she kept being sick and Icouldn't look after her properly and ran away from the sickness, it was awful. It affects my whole life, but fortunately I was able to cope with my children and grandchildren when they are young but grown up is a different matter. The sound of retching is terrifying. I would love to go on a cruise butcant incase its rough and Isee people being sick, I dont like partiesfor the same reason. Please help. I now have a lovely partner but havent told him of my fear just try to avoid all frightening events. Iam terrified too that if as we get older I will have to cope with him in the situation. WHAT CAN I DO PLEASE. Has anyone been cured, has Paul McKenna had any successes with it or anyone else. Years agoI took CBT but it had no effect. I had a breadown and ECT treatment during my marriage because of it but that was in the 1960's and surely there must be treatments available now. Any help would be so much appreciated.
Heres hoping,
Beaky

Missy69
15-11-08, 14:04
Hey Bublestar,
Really well done, i agree with evrything you have said, i am on my way to recovery, things do get much better. i have my odd days, but i deal with them so so so much better than i ever could or did.

Congratulations Chick, keep up the good work and thanks for your post, its nice to hear the good things too !