PDA

View Full Version : New on citalopram after escitalopram - help!

richardi
25-01-08, 14:19
Hi everyone

My doc has suddenly changed my meds from escitalopram to citalopram with no explanation. I seemed to be fine on the escitalopram and things were ticking along nicely.

Having been on citalopram for about three weeks now I feel like I have gone back 12 months with my anxiety rising, palpitations returning and being very short tempered etc. Also have a headache more often than not.

Did try & see my doc today but he's off sick!!

Just wondered what folks think - do I stay with it?

Feel like poo most of the time now.....

Thanks for any thoughts.

doglover
25-01-08, 14:56
Hi
I dont know the difference between the two meds. Did you ask the doctor why he was changing them if you were happy on the escitalopram?
I would still speak to him but in the meantime carry on with the citalopram. It really does make you feel worse at first but you should soon feel an improvement. It took me 2-3 weeks to feel much less anxious. I was sooooo tempted to stop taking them because i felt so bad at first but it really has helped me. Ive been on it now for just over a month. It can also make it difficult to sleep so my gp gave me some sleeping tablets to get me through but i didnt take any last night and had 10 hours!
I hope you feel better soon
Donna

richardi
25-01-08, 16:28
Hi Donna & thanks

Doc just said i had been on the others over a year so let's try something different! My pharmasist said it was because they were chearper :mad: .

I was thinking of stopping them altogether but after your comments maybe I should give them a few more weeks!

Thanks again.

R

Richie
25-01-08, 16:39
Of course i got no idea of your medical history etc, but
this is very unprofessional of your GP, does he know what he is doing??
If a long term antidepressent is working for you it is obviously the right one for your body and chemical imbalance.
You really must try somehow to get this across to him/her but i reckon most doctors are not clued up. Probably went for the cheaper option

Allye
25-01-08, 16:40
Read some of the other posts on Citalopram. The side effects are not pleasant for a few weeks but there have been some success stories. I for one can see light at the end of a very long tunnel after a very long time.

All the best