PDA

View Full Version : Strategies for coping

davidr
06-03-05, 23:21
I was wondering what strategies people are using for coping / dealing with their health anxiety issues at the moment and how they are finding these work. I thought it would be extremely useful to build up a profile of the most popular and effective (or not) methods of reducing our anxiety. Hopefully we can learn from each others experience and techniques and take the most productive bits and integrate them into our own strategies if they are not already there.

My List: in no particular order

1. Monitoring (keep a diary of feelings thoughts) and controlling my thoughts through reduction of periods spent outside of the present, particularly where they relate to things I have no control over. I have compiled worksheets to record this onto.

2. Relaxation through audio CD for 30-45 minutes a day, which involves slowed breathing, muscle relaxing and some imagination work where I drift to a more tranquil, healing place.

3. Weekly yoga, reflexology and a massage, this may seem expensive but unless I am well I cannot function so in the long term it is cheap and money is no good to me if I am not around to spend it.

4. A bath with lavender oil listening to relaxing music without voices and a few minutes deep breathing ( breath in the lavender scent and breath out through the mouth the stress of that day. This helps slow my heart rate down before I go to bed.

5. I take a B complex supplement and vitamin C tablet. I also take 1 Rhodiola Rosea tablet to help my poor adrenal glands. I also take a multivitam.

6. I purchased a pedometer to try and do the 10,000 steps a day, but currently only manage on average about 5,000 but am working toward this and find walking a wonderful time to practice staying in the present and enjoying nature etc.

7. I eat fresh fruit and vegetables and avoid processed food as much as possible and drink 2 litres of water a day.

8. I have started reading about NLP and reading people like Deepak Chopra and absorbing things that will give me a better perspective on myself and the world. I am really working on unravelling my negative wiring. This is not about positive thinking as I never found this useful but about changing my conditioned responses to things so that I can deal more effectively with change and my condition.

9. Power breathing using powerbreathe which is a small piece of equipment that helps to improve the efficiency of my lungs and diaphragm so that I do not shallow breath as much and train my respitory system to breathe correctly again.

10. Connect with other sufferers on this site and listen, support and learn from each others experiences.

I would love to hear others views and opinions, just one technique would be great if it is working for you, you don't have to have a great big list like this, unless like me your going through a chemical rush which makes you capable of doing a million things an hour. I still don't know what these are but they are a left over from my Prozac days, does anyone else experience them?

Meg
07-03-05, 18:38
David

This is an admirable list that would suit all anxiety and panickers HA or not.

With your thoughts monitor I was interested that you didn't mention changing your irrational HA precipitating thoughts into more logical rational ones in real time.

I found that was a key step.

I think this is what you're referring to in point 8 but I am meaning each individual point and not the grand scheme of things.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
07-03-05, 19:07
Great list there and nice to see it all in one post as all that you are doing is great!!

Thanks for that.

Nicola

mojo5
07-03-05, 20:27
HI david

Some sound stuff there David, many of which I now do myself.

I think a healthy diet is the single biggest thing you can do to give your body and mind the energy to deal with this stuff.

I eat a lot more fresh fruit and food in general, loads of fish with omega 3 oils.
Processed foods taste like junk now.

Nuts like walnuts, almonds and brazils are packed with good stuff to improve your mood - also good for circulation.
I have a big bowl of them in the house mixed with raisins - great when you are feeling 'snacky'

Only additional thing, which definitely helped me, was eliminating caffeine altogether.
Drink redbush tea now and I find it altogether more refreshing than 'normal' tea used to be.

Plenty of water definitely helpful too.
Keep it up David.

Cheers Mo :D

sal
07-03-05, 23:00
Hi David

A very positive and helpful post. Thanks.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

davidr
07-03-05, 23:12
Hello all,

Thanks very much for that. I am avoiding caffeine as well as I read it does stimulate the adrenal glands which are stimulated enough already. I am really enjoying teas as well mojo5, going for the organic and naturally caffeine free ones. I like the Dr Stuart's botanical teas. Also have been having the omega3 fish oil supplement as well.

Meg I am certainly working toward that and bringing the health anxiety issue under control, but there is a voice that I struggle to silence that tells me, fine hold me off for now, with all these defence mechanisms but I will be waiting for you when the mask slips. I am sure we all deal with that one though.

sal
07-03-05, 23:20
David

But trust me it may not as you are doing all the right things and if it does we will all be here to help you through it.

You are sounding very positive and prepared for the odd blip which we all get. You will get there and we will support you all the way.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

davidr
07-03-05, 23:40
Thanks Sal,
This board is a BIG part of my coping strategy and it means a lot to know you are all there.

sal
07-03-05, 23:44
We always will be. Dont forget there is always someone here to support you.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

sandy
11-03-05, 11:16
you all seem to know what to do, i get up feeling rubbish and seem to spend the day panicking about every symtom, im so scared with whats going on in my body, and i dont cope too well. i get scared to be on my own, does anyone else feel this way sandy

dove
11-03-05, 19:05
sandy i know how you feel i dont like all the symtoms [V] they make you feel ill

dove x x

FAN
11-03-05, 19:10
hi sandy your not on your own with this you say "you all know what to do" yes maybe we do but even then its too hard to kick it into action when the symptoms start and i still get the full blown attack now and again it takes time and im sure if you stick around you too will get all sorts of help that makes you feel at least some way better, it is a long road and hard work but you can do it

fan x

nomorepanic
11-03-05, 19:25
Sandy

A lot of the people on here are only just learning how to cope and are doing so well.

You are at the beginning of it all and we can help you too so don't worry.

Nicola

davidr
12-03-05, 01:23
Hi Sandy,

I have suffered with depression and later anxiety for most of my adult life. In the last 2 years I have been in and out of hospital over 20 times and had all sorts of tests and procedures. This week alone I have been to hospital on 3 seperate occasions having a tube fitted through my nose and into my stomach to try and trace the route cause of my stomach and chest pains.

I am in pain most days and generally feel tired even on good days. This illness over the last 2 years has cost me a huge sum financially and almost bankrupted my business, it has affected the health and wellbeing of my partner also who has had to put up with enormous strain through all this. I spent all day yesterday in bed with palpatations and sickness and went to the well again emotionally to pull myself around for today and manage to cut the grass, feed the birds and do some shopping.

I do the things I have listed because I am trying to survive and get my life back again. Every day is a struggle and every day is a fight. Posting my list is the easy part actually sticking to that list every single day is the hard part. I choose to fight and get better but like you for the most part I feel rubbish, I cope as best I can like everyone else.