PDA

View Full Version : Work advice - what should I do?

Panic1971
27-01-08, 15:52
Hi there,

I am currently working 30 hours per week and am really struggling with my panic/anxiety at the moment. I am totally stressed out which makes my anxiety worse.

I have had 2 weeks off sick in the last 3-4 months (not anxiety related) and have been given an oral warning about my sick. I have had to tell my team leader and manager about my panic disorder as I have recently had to take 2 more days off sick because of it. They seemed to be quite understanding about it (or at least to my face).

Anyway - after speaking to my counsellor, it was suggested that I may be doing too much and to see if I could reduce my hours at work to help me with my recovery.

I applied for a reduction in my hours back in October and was told no as there wasnt enough staff to cover it. Anyhow, I have been struggling on with it and am finding it harder and harder. In the end I applied again for the reduction last week - to be told no again.

I really dont know what to do about it. I cannot afford to not work, and I do enjoy the job - I am just finding it hard to do everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.

Lilith1980
27-01-08, 19:24
Hi Ann

It doesnt sound as though they are being very understanding if they know about your panic disorder and wont let you reduce your hours.

Why dont you start looking in the papers for another job, just to see what's out there initially? Would you consider going elsewhere if you could do reduced hours in another place?

xxxxx

Panic1971
27-01-08, 20:24
Thanks Lilith

I dont really want another job - as that would just cause me more stress I would think. I do like the job - and have worked there for many, many years and the hours fit into the school runs etc. I just want to work a shorter week so I dont feel as stressed - which then starts my panic.

I just dont know what I can do. I thought they would be more understanding and not add to my stress.:mad:

Nibbles
27-01-08, 21:12
Hi Ann,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a tough time. :hugs:

I've been in the same position where I like my job but find it causes anxiety which is so frustrating! What I try to do is break the day up into sections and keep busy. I'm wondering if you got a doctors note whether they would have to abide by that and reduce your hours? Alternatively is there anyone in the company who works less hours which you might be able to swap with?

Lastly this is for your unsympathetic bosses. :buttkick:

Take care,

Mike :)

Allye
27-01-08, 21:50
Hi

You also have issues surrounding disability discrimination and possibly the Health and Safety at Work Act. Have you a union. If not give MIND a ring.