PDA

View Full Version : Aniety and panic for no reason!

xBettyBoopx
29-01-08, 19:44
Feeling like hell at the moment. Anxiety & panic for no apparent reason. Can't breath, sweating, dizzy etc. Haven't felt this bad for quite some time:huh:

Trying to eat my dinner is like hell when I'm feeling like this. Hope you don't mind me rambling as typing and talking it out seems to help.

If I had a penny for every time I've felt like this in 32 years, I'd be a million billion zillionaire!!:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: Not that all the money in the world could get me out of this:blush: :blush:

Does anyone else think that we are pre-destined for things? Like having had this for 32 years, I know it'll never go and I have to put up with it. That sounds defeatist but 32 years!

What did I do before the internet? Oh I know used to try and concentrate on a puzzle or something.

Anyway enuff of my rambilngs. :noangel:

Take care all.

Elspeth

doglover
29-01-08, 19:47
Elspeth
I hope you feel better soon. Im having a bad day too and have come on here to keep my mind off it and hoping it will go away by morning cos ive got to be up really early for work.
Donna :bighug1:

xBettyBoopx
29-01-08, 20:03
Hi Donna

So sorry that you're feeling rough today too.

I hope you soon feel a bit better and that you find things to take your mind off of it, I know that it's not the long-term solution but any kind of relief at the time your feeling bad is a help.

Hugs for you, and take care.:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Elspeth

cece
29-01-08, 22:03
Sorry you feel so poorly today:weep: There is always a cause and it starts with automatic thoughts in your head that we often do not realize are there.You do not have to put up with it though. Have you tried CBT? It is what got rid of my panic attacks. It's hard work but it does have a pay-off.

julieb
29-01-08, 22:05
hi elspeth i sympathise cuz im exactly the same at the moment and have been since sunday. im trying everything to relax but cant get on an even keel. its the breathing that really upsets me too.

take care ju x

xBettyBoopx
30-01-08, 00:46
Hi cece and julie

Thanks for your replies.

Cece - I can't get any therapy in this part of the globe!! My dr said that I have to be really really bad to get any help. I don't have any money to go private.

Julie - Sorry that you're feeling so bad, I hope that you soon feel bit better.

Take care

Elspeth:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

tayside lassie
30-01-08, 09:52
hello elspeth , like yourself ive had anxiety/panic on/off for about 20 year
or so . 4 year ago i started to feel anxious some times for no reason doctor said it was my anxietys playing up during that 2 years i thought i was going
mad !!!! .then 2 year ago my periods suddenly stopped ,was told i had peri
menopause and that the symptoms id been having all that time were due to peri meno although i was still having periods .(ok i know big story ,get to the point ) lol....lol... ,but could you be peri menopausal ? just a thought or maybe you all ready have it ? p.s im new here so have not seen your last post .

sally.....

xBettyBoopx
30-01-08, 18:22
Hi Sally

First of all welcome:hugs: :hugs:

Although I'm only 50, I am passed the menopause (although I'm not sure when ure passed it!) Haven't had a period for nearly 5 years. I did have a blood test about 5 years ago and it came back peri. I don't think that I have any symptoms - for that I am truly grateful. My anxiety hasn't risen since the menopause, just was having an attack when I started this thread. I suppose I've had more depression since stopping the periods. PMS used to make me crazy, I told the dr once that I could kill someone when I had PMS:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: So glad I don't get that anymore:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Thanks for your reply and take care.

Elspeth

julieb
30-01-08, 20:07
thanks elspeth, hope youre feeling better too

Sally if you read this post again could you tell me the symptoms of the peri menopause please as i'm almost 44 and wondering if this is maybe whats wrong with me?

ju

tayside lassie
30-01-08, 22:34
http://www.project-aware.org/Exper... (http://www.project-aware.org/Exper...)

hiya julie , ive put this link up for you this will explain better than i could .
just to say you can still take regular periods even though your peri menopausal , i was told my a male gp that my panic/anxiety had came back when i had actually started perimeno . hope this helps .

sally ....

julie when you go on the link click on menopause the link still works ,i dont know why its going on to error ,ive must have copyed and pasted it that much lol.....

cece
31-01-08, 00:33
Hi cece and julie

Thanks for your replies.

Cece - I can't get any therapy in this part of the globe!! My dr said that I have to be really really bad to get any help. I don't have any money to go private.

There are plenty of good books and internet resources that are cheap or free that you can do CBT on your own if you are self motivated. There's an exercise called the TEA form in the book titled Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz that I used that is great and if you work on them for a few minutes everyday they can change your life and put you in control of most of your anxiety rather than having your anxiety control you. Just a suggestion:)

joy
31-01-08, 09:34
What is aTEA form as I hear it mentioned a lot

Joy

cassi23
31-01-08, 18:25
hi elspeth,

i hope you are feeling better by now, im having a really bad day today, feeling really panicked and anxious and i too cannot think of a reason why!
Having ectopics which dont bother me so much now but beause of the state im in today i feel i'm dying again, or going to very soon.

sending hugs and thoughts to you

cassi xxxxxxx

cece
31-01-08, 19:44
Hi Joy, The TEA form is a thought countering exercise from CBT. You learn to catch your thoughts that cause anxiety then identify which of the common thinking errors those thoughts contain and then counter them with more objective thoughts that reduce your anxiety. I do them almost everyday and whenever I am feeling stressed or anxious. The best thing about them is that over time they help you change the way you process your thoughts and eliminate most anxiety before it comes.

cece
07-05-08, 01:31
How are you doing now Elspath? I hope you have gained the upper hand with your anxiety:)

xBettyBoopx
07-05-08, 04:34
Hi cece

Sorry, I had forgotten about this post, t'was a while ago now. Thanks for asking how I am, I have my ups and downs but generally more derpessed than anxious, but when they come............boy do they hit me hard.

How are you doing? I hope that you are ok.

Thanks again for asking.

Love

Elspeth

popsy
07-05-08, 10:17
So sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. Are you on any medication? I was very nervous about using anti-depressents but got to a point where i couldnt stand it anymore. I am now on a high dose of anti-depressents and diazapam as and when i need them, i dont feel a failure for using this method i feel i am doing the best thing for ME! They to some extent have given me my life back and made me able to start some treatments and look into why i am like this, still dont know, but at least i have more strength and positive feelings to try.... If you are on medication maybe it should be changed, also lots of CBT counsellers do sliding scale on payments or consessions on prices if that is a problem. Im also doing the NO PANIC Telephone recovery programme which is free. Have you tried that. Hope some of my suggestions are useful, and that things start to improve soon, and of course dont forget Claire Weekes books and downloads!!!!!! AND keep logging on here! Much love and hugs xxxx

cece
14-05-08, 01:43
Good to hear from you Elspeth but sorry to hear that the depression part is still hitting you hard:weep: I'm doing well and that partly explains why I have not been posting for a while but I always think about my friends here and wonder how they are doing in their lives even when I get too busy to check in here. I'm glad your anxiety has lessened at least. Keep working on yourself and you'll find what works for you! Keep in touch and thanks for the reply:hugs:

cece
14-05-08, 01:45
Hi Popsy, do not feel bad about taking anti depressants! When we are struggling we need help to get up to a place where we can work on ourselves. CBT is worthless if you are not doing the exercises daily and when you feel defeated it's hard to do them so meds can help a lot.

marie1974
14-05-08, 07:50
hiya elspeth not sure what advice to give you on this really apart from keeping busy but im sending you a hug because you are a lovely person :hugs:

never2late
15-05-08, 13:40
This is one of the threads that I found so fascinating here before finally signing up. Yes, I can totally relate to it. I consider myself (and others consider me as well) to be a very positive, happy and uplifting person. I always have a smile and a kind word for others. This is just the way I am naturally. My bouts of anxiety, along with the ocassional panic attack, have been very confusing to me over the years. But, being the person that I am, I cope and keep moving forward. I'll be right in the middle of one of my worst days . . . and no one will ever know the difference. As everyone here knows, it's a very lonely condition to have.

cece
21-05-08, 01:19
Hi cece and julie

Thanks for your replies.

Julie - Sorry that you're feeling so bad, I hope that you soon feel bit better.

Take care

I just lost the long reply I typed to you Elspeth:mad: In short I wanted to sympathize with your inability to get a referral for cbt. Our med system here in the states is not very good but we at least have a variety of free or cheap support groups and that's how I got my cbt. Cbt can be done on your own through books but you need to be self motivated and sometimes that is hard when you are feeling down:weep: Take care and I hope you are feeling better today.

xBettyBoopx
21-05-08, 03:43
Hey popsy, cece, never & donna

Thanks for replies and concerns. Donna thank you so much for saying I'm a nice person cause I think a lot of the time that I'm not:weep: :weep: :weep:

I seem to swing from anxiety to depression in a day!! The depression is total despair, I know this, that's why I won't take medication for it cause I know that when anxiety hits, depression goes straight out the window, lol:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: I hope & pray all the time that things will get better, my hopes & prayers are for all you too.

Take care

Love

Elspeth

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/smith324bullock/G1/Faith-1.gif

cece
23-05-08, 01:18
This is one of the threads that I found so fascinating here before finally signing up. Yes, I can totally relate to it. I consider myself (and others consider me as well) to be a very positive, happy and uplifting person. I always have a smile and a kind word for others. This is just the way I am naturally. My bouts of anxiety, along with the ocassional panic attack, have been very confusing to me over the years. But, being the person that I am, I cope and keep moving forward. I'll be right in the middle of one of my worst days . . . and no one will ever know the difference. As everyone here knows, it's a very lonely condition to have.
I used to hide my anxiety and depression from everyone too, so I really do feel for you! Your sunny outlook will only help you in your journey, but it sadly always is a struggle I think. Learn to eliminate your thinking errors and I think you will feel a lot better. Hugs to you and Elspeth too :-)

Jrank1
28-05-08, 00:54
There are always underlying thoughts that you may not know are there that cause your anxiety. CBT and the TEA forms are great at helping you find and change those thoughts!

cece
23-06-08, 02:19
Hi Elspeth. I'm thinking of you and hope you are feeling better.:yesyes:

Jrank1
19-08-08, 17:07
You are such a sweatheart Cece:yesyes:

cece
01-10-08, 02:31
You are such a sweatheart Cece:yesyes:

I'm blushing:blush:

xBettyBoopx
25-11-08, 21:12
Well, here I am again back with high anxiety for no apparent reason. No point in starting another thread as it would be exactly the same as this one:weep: :weep:

Anxiety when trying to eat a meal, it's so strange & ridiculous I could kick myself, but that would hurt:scared15: :scared15: :scared15:

I had to go to the local shop today, it's about 200-300 yards away & I felt anxious b4 I went, but ya gotta do wat ya gotta do & there was a big queue at the check-out, omg:scared15: :scared15: Anyway, got through that, thought I'd feel relief walking home but was even worse, couldn't breathe, heart racing etc.

I'm sick sick sick of it, like we all are.

Sorry for rant, got to get it off me chest:blush: :blush:

Hugs to all:bighug1: :bighug1:

Els
xxx

snodsmum
25-11-08, 21:34
well hello... i havnt had a panic attack for 7 years when suddenly out of the blue i had one. i was in spain at the time so scared out of my wits as in foreighn country, ecgs bloods xray all normal told to get thyroid teast when back in uk.. normal.. gp thinks im peri menopausal night sweats cant sleep feel like zombie,dont feel like me feel in trance all day. going to have accupunture as gp says this helps, rescue remedy helps big time wish they did it by the bucket full,, your not on your own take care

tracey smith

xBettyBoopx
25-11-08, 21:44
Hi Tracey

Wow that's a long time to go without a pa. I'm so sorry that you're having to go through it again. Do remember how or why they stopped last time?

I don't think I'd take rescue remedy, I'm on quite a lot of tranquillizers.

I hope the acupuncture helps, I was offered it for a bad back on NHS but I turned it down cause I knew I'd have a panic attack:scared15: :scared15: & scream at them to get the needles outta me:ohmy: :ohmy:

Take care
Love
Els
xxx

cece
18-01-09, 01:13
Hi Els,

I mam sorry to hear you are struggling with your anxiety again:blush: I hope you find something that helps you soon. Happy New Year to you and hopefully one in which you get the upper hand on your anxiety.:yesyes:

Jrank1
24-05-09, 21:11
Tracey I'm really curious did accupuncture help? I know it is good for a lot of things but had not heard of it being used for anxiety before?

Els,
I hope your anxiety is back under control now:)

cece
12-06-09, 02:24
I am curious about acupuncture too? I hear it works for headaches really weel.

Jrank1
04-08-09, 20:39
Hi Tracey,
Did the accupuncture help your anxiety?

Cece, Did you use accupincture for headaches or just hear it was good for them. I get headaches in spurts and hate taking pain medications.

cece
03-09-09, 22:44
No i never used it for headaches but i know a couple of people who have and they said it helped them.

Jrank1
28-09-09, 18:08
I guess it can't hurt to try right? I think I may look into this more, thanks:D

cece
27-10-09, 22:52
Certainly not:) I'll be curious to hear if it works. Let us know Tracey???

barrywin
21-11-09, 06:30
Dear All,
I've only just discovered this wonderful website -- I had a nervous breakdown and major anxiety attack 3 years ago and thought I was going to die from it. Now I realise I am not alone!! Best wishes to all!!!

cece
11-12-09, 01:04
WElcome and I hope we can help you find something that helps you. Cbt is what helped me and I am big proponent of the cbt exercise called the TEA form. Just keep trying things others here have had success with until you find what works best for you:)

Macchiavelli
14-12-09, 21:21
same here, I dont understand why they happen 4 no reason and it makes eating more difficult as well. I have gone days without eating hardly anything.

Jrank1
15-12-09, 19:29
Dear All,
I've only just discovered this wonderful website -- I had a nervous breakdown and major anxiety attack 3 years ago and thought I was going to die from it. Now I realise I am not alone!! Best wishes to all!!!

Welcome and you can get better:hugs:

ronski
16-12-09, 12:35
Elspeth your doctor is wrong, everbody is entitled to one course of CBT free on the NHS. This is usually a group session but maybe you could argue a one to one is more appropriate for you.

Sometimes I think we fight to hard to get rid of this anxiety and that can give us more issues long term. Have you tried accepting and so releasing that tension. After 32 years you must feel at the end of your tether but you can lower that nervous tension. I think that the big mistake we all make is that we feel that anxiety can be cured like a cold or appendicitis and I am afraid that is just not possible.

Anxiety is not an illness like depression, its a behavioural response. Anxiety is an integretal part of all of us so the question is how can we lower that trigger reflex not how can I get rid of it. This is what CBT will teach you and it is so important in getting your life back, and it will not be an instant fix it will take time. Small steps but upward ones. I wish you all the best elspeth and I know its hard and seemingly impossible but try acceptance and see if that in itself will calm things.

cece
03-02-10, 01:28
Anxiety is not an illness like depression, its a behavioural response. Anxiety is an integretal part of all of us so the question is how can we lower that trigger reflex not how can I get rid of it. This is what CBT will teach you and it is so important in getting your life back, and it will not be an instant fix it will take time. Small steps but upward ones. I wish you all the best elspeth and I know its hard and seemingly impossible but try acceptance and see if that in itself will calm things.

Outstanding post ronski:yesyes: Thanks!

Jrank1
02-06-10, 23:18
Ronski you make a lot of great points in your post. I think that answers a lot of the questions many peiople have about cbt. Great Job:)
Hi Cece I hope you are doing well:)

Jrank1
04-06-10, 19:41
I received a reply notification but my last post is the last one here? Very odd:blush:

jothenurse
05-06-10, 00:14
Can somebody explain the TEA form? We don't have CBT groups where I live - wish we did. But I did buy a couple of books on it.

shifthappends
05-06-10, 14:24
Hi guys, after I read this thread I just had to sign up. So hi :D

I started have bad anxiety issues following by random panick attacks when I was 15 years old. I woke up at 2 AM one morning with what felt like a nightmare, I was in a panick attack and was brought on while I was asleep.

For years I've suffered since that day but the panick attacks stopped and I now get phases of anxiety which could last anywhere from a day to weeks on end.

Best advice I can say is try to stay away from stimulants like smoking, cofee, drugs and too much alcohol. I cannot touch a cigarette, and if I got a bad hangover it feels like somebody has poured a liter of acid into my brain, very scary and extremely uncomfortable. The chemicals inside our head play a large part of it and a bad diet, lack of sleep and lack of excersise will make the chemicals unbalance, causing all sorts of problems and anxiety is a big one.

Hope that helps. :)

Jrank1
06-06-10, 23:00
Can somebody explain the TEA form? We don't have CBT groups where I live - wish we did. But I did buy a couple of books on it.
It's the basic thought countering exercise in the cbt book by Sam Obitz. You simply write down your thoughts that cause the anxiety then identify the errors in that thought and counter them with more rational and objective thoughts. Seems too simple to work but they do if you work on them everyday for awhile.

Jrank1
06-06-10, 23:12
Welcome shift:hugs:
Good advice about avoiding stimulants. However now that I am several years into cbt and countering my thoughts in the tea forms I have been able to start drinking coffee again with no problems:)

cece
08-07-10, 03:07
Welcome shift:hugs:
Good advice about avoiding stimulants. However now that I am several years into cbt and countering my thoughts in the tea forms I have been able to start drinking coffee again with no problems:)

I can totally relate. Took me awhile to take the chance on coffee again but now I am back to drinking it daily without any problems.

Welcome Shift and Jothenurse:hugs:

cece
31-08-10, 02:06
Hi shift, just wondering how you are doing? Hope you are finding lots of helpful posts and feeling great:)

Jrank1
05-09-10, 18:31
I was hesitant at first to try coffee again, inaccurately thinking it would cause all of my anxiety to come back again, but I am happy to report that now that I have restructured the way I think with the TEA forms even if the caffeine amps me up I just remind myself it is normal and I am fine:)

cece
23-10-10, 00:23
Good Job Jrank:hugs:

anaconda
24-10-10, 01:45
Oh boy, isnt that the strangest thing of all? Panic comes on for no reason, completely out of the blue, uninvited and unpredictable, just springs whenever it feels like it. I get angry and embarrased when it happens, i hate it. I also hate being a bloke with this and trying to make light of it.

cece
25-10-10, 21:08
Oh boy, isnt that the strangest thing of all? Panic comes on for no reason, completely out of the blue, uninvited and unpredictable, just springs whenever it feels like it. I get angry and embarrased when it happens, i hate it. I also hate being a bloke with this and trying to make light of it.

It sucks but cbt teaches you how to catch and counter the automatic (subconscious) thoughts that cause it to strike from out of the blue. It takes work but once you get to the root of the problem, your automatic thoughts, they can be prevented:)

cece
24-01-11, 00:36
Anaconda,
How are you doing? I hope you are well:)

Jrank1
05-04-11, 01:23
Hey anaconda,
Cece gave you good advice. It does not have to be that way:)
try cbt and the TEa forms, they work wonder sif you work at them!

cece
16-04-11, 02:23
Hey anaconda,
Cece gave you good advice. It does not have to be that way:)
try cbt and the TEa forms, they work wonder sif you work at them!

Thx.:hugs:

jude uk
16-04-11, 02:53
The problem with panic attacks is "Triggers"....We are so used to certain things that trigger them off, that we automaticly are very sensitive to them. For example someone who has a fear of a heart attack has a small twinge in their chest, they automaticly think it is a heart attack. Yet they may have forgotten that they had been lifting something or had drank a fizzy drink.

We are so used to the triggers that we spend all of our time waiting for them and they have become such a major part of our life that we cant live without them.....yeah sounds strange but they are a major part of our life.

The fear
The what ifs eat away at us like a cancer and we are so afraid of the fear and that what ifs, that we do not take the steps to get better. We have found away to coexist/live with the panic&fear&what ifs.....okay its not really living because we have silly rituals to fend off an attack or get through one.

I understand how difficult it is to over-come but I still believe we can over-come our fears....

To over-come our fears we need to face them.

cece
07-05-11, 01:39
That was me before I learned to interrupt the panic cycle!!! Now when one of the triggers come I simply remind myself that it has happened many times before and is not dangerous and the panic instantly disappears:yesyes:
Of course it takes practice but now it's a habit:D

Jrank1
02-06-11, 00:26
Me too Cece. Great post:)

cece
12-08-11, 03:02
Thanks and glad you have overcome your probs too:hugs:

Talkingincode
12-08-11, 05:54
I feel ya, I don't think ill ever feel normal again.

cece
24-08-11, 03:13

Never say never..... or in this particular case: ever :hugs:

Jrank1
30-05-12, 22:59
I think all of us have felt this way but look at where we are now. Hopefully my and others success will inspire you to believe that you can get better too! For me it came down to changing my bad thinking habits using the cbt TEA forms and I can't tell how grateful I am to be where I am today. I know it sounds cliche, but I honestly believe if I can do it then you can too:D

cece
22-07-12, 04:02
Well put Jrank.
I hope you are still trying things to help you talkingincode!

Beachbum09
26-02-13, 02:44
Sorry you feel so poorly today:weep: There is always a cause and it starts with automatic thoughts in your head that we often do not realize are there.You do not have to put up with it though. Have you tried CBT? It is what got rid of my panic attacks. It's hard work but it does have a pay-off.

I have serious anxiety and panic as well, and have only suffered for about 3 years, but it's 3 years way to long! What is CBT?

cece
02-08-13, 20:27
CBT is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
Works great if you dedicate yourself to doing the TEA forms etc:)